Cosa Buona

Hey English teacher - you can shove this grammatically faulty sentence up your conjunctive adverb.

1 Like

yeah, had a great meal,(my first), at Alimento last weekend…escolar crude, pork meatballs, tortellini in brodo & radiatori pastas…delicious…couldnt bring myself to shoot photos but had a nice chat with Zach Pollack…
Also enjoyed a perfect sausage pizza at Cosa Buona last month…ive never been disappointed by any dish at Sotto or these 2 new ventures…

1 Like

Going here for the first time. Group of 8 - 4 parents and 4 kids. We will definitely order
mozzarella sticks
chicken parm
pizza or two

Anybody have a salad they particularly like?
Chicken wings, clams and meatballs all look good.
I don’t see the steak pizzaiola on the menu anymore.

I like that pizza crust. So bubbly, well-charred, glistening and looks almost like it was deep fried.

let us know how it goes with a group.

for dessert, get the Cannoli.

chopped salad

1 Like

Never been - and was going to go this week as I was in the 'hood for a Jame Hunter 6 show at the Echoplex (which was fantastic, BTW).
Ended up not going but I noticed that it is called BOTH Pizzeria Buona AND Casa Buona and each name has a different address: 2100 Sunset (CB) and 1098 N Alvarado (PB). A bit odd and confusing.

Casa Buona is in the old Pizza Buona spot on the corner of Sunset/Alvarado. Pizza Buona moved somewhere else.

I do not believe there is any relation other than the name.

2 Likes

Yeah I hate this - the story is basically that Pizza Buona was a long-running (like 50 year) institution on that corner of Sunset & Alvarado. Gentrification happened, rent went up, they couldn’t stay, and closed.

Yaboi Zack P stepped in, took the Cosa Buona name as an homage to the deceased Pizza Buona. Sweet, right?

BUT TWIST before Cosa Buona was even close to opening Pizza Buona got a new space like three blocks south on Alvarado and reopened, but Cosa Buona kept their name and their MFing “Pizza Buona” sign. Pretty obnoxious, imo. And I still prefer the pizza from the one true Pizza Buona.

8 Likes

wow, thanks for the history lesson…had no idea

I ate at Pizza Buona regularly before they closed and moved to their new location, and their pizza was just ok. Not bad but not amazing. We ordered it more out of convenience because it was nearby. I think the pizza at Cosa Buona is better.

1 Like

Cosa Buona is a great neighborhood spot. Reasonably priced, family friendly and good grub.

I would not recommend going here with 8 adults though. We were 8 - 4 kids and 4 adults. They sat is in the first booth. If we were 8 adults we would have been squished.

Mozzarella sticks lived up to their billing. Great crust. The cheese want oozing out all over the place

The chopped salad was better than Nancy’s. Yes it is. The dressing reminded me of classic Italian vinaigrette without all the dried herbs overpowering the salad. Loved adding the Calabrian chiles for some extra heat.

Stuffed shells with peas in cream sauce were light and fresh. A surprise.

Meatballs with fresh mozzarella and toasted bread. Delicious. I liked that the sauce had some chunks and onions. Bread with cheese drizzled with some sauce was a fantastic bite of food.

Pizzas were excellent. Very similar to Sotto as others have mentioned. Great spotting great crust. The pepperoni cups were crisped and full of some lovely grease but not too much so.

The only disappointment were the wings. Well fried but they had a sweetness to them that didn’t fit in.

Excellent friendly service. If this place was within 15 minutes of our house we would eat here minimum once per month.

3 Likes

I really liked the pizzas at Cosa Buona but don’t think it was anything like Sotto, which is basically Napoletana style, i.e. softer crust…Cosa Buona as I remember, was much firmer…doubt they use the same dough

You’re correct - the Cosa Buona pizza was Napoletana-ish. The comparison was more about the size odf the pizza and great leopard spotting. The crust on the Cosa Buona pizza is thicker and denser. But no less delicious to dunk into the extra mozzarella stick sauce that I had to fight off the waiter to keep.

js76wisco…if your reply is to me, I was misunderstood…Sotto is a softer, leopard-spotted Napoletana style pizza…personally, id say Cosa Buona is not…CB is crisper, denser crust and thats not Napoletana-style

The CB pizza wasn’t crispy at all really. The CB pizza had a similar soft soupy middle as Napoletana style - not as soupy though. I’d say the CB pizza was pretty similar to Fuoco in Fullerton which I’ve had recently.

The crust was definitely different. Much thicker and chewier.

1 Like

ah, well, the only pie I had there wasn’t particularly soupy and compared to Sottoit was firmer, maybe not “crisper…” you just convinced me to go back…for “scientific” purposes, of course…ha, ha!

1 Like

Went there on Saturday had a delicious dinner. No pics tho restaurant is way too dark.

We had the pepporoni pizza, mushroom pizza, chopped salad, mozzarella sticks, eggplant parm, and meatballs.

Everything was outstanding. The meatballs with toasted bread and burrata and the pepperoni being the true standouts.

I would disagree with the posters stating this was not a destination worthy restaurant unless you have a Jon and Vinny’s in your neighborhood. I’m not always in the mood for American Italian, but if and when I am I definitely would be willing to drive out of my way to go to cosa. Would agree that j and v has slightly better leoparding on its crust, but I found the flavor of the pizza better at cosa.

If you are in the echo park silver lake area do stop by and try!

3 Likes

i think the complaint between Cosa Buona and J&V is that Cosa Buona does not have any pasta.

I do like Cosa Buona because for me its usually easier to get a table there than at J&V on Fairfax.

2 Likes