Cost of dining out rising rapidly

Depends on how you define “fine dining” - most people on this board spend a larger amount of money for restaurants (and food in general) as most “regular” people and so what we here might define as “not fine dining” might be for the large majority of people already fine dining. For example in LA I wouldn’t define places like Animal, Osteria Mozza, Chi Spacca etc as fine dining but I know from many discussions with friends and colleagues that this level of cost (but also more refined/creative cooking) is fine dining for many people

4 Likes

Good points. I define fine dining by food that has been exceptionally sourced, intellectually conceived and precisely executed, served in a professional manner in a sophisticated, not to be confused with stuffy, atmosphere. Today, as you suggest, quality product and brilliant kitchen craft are the hallmark of many less formal places that tend to blur the lines.

In the context of that Eater article, “fine dining” is two- and three-star Michelin tasting menus or omakase and their competitors. The high end as far as prices.

The general industry definition is much broader, typically including all restaurants with full table service.

1 Like

Soul.

We just can’t eat that much any more so that eliminates a fair number these days.

Explain, please? Fine dining epitomizes or lacks soul?

If we want to feed our body, then fine dining has nothing to do with our decision. Ego? I see people who dine for that reason and honestly? I don’t have much respect for them. Soul is what I want to have fed, i.e., I just feel so darn good when a meal is everything or more than I would have expected.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s exactly how I feel. Our most memorable eating experiences have been at the most unseemly or unpublicized places.

2 Likes

“Fine dining” doesn’t seem like a useful term to me.

1 Like

I’ve done “fine dining” that wasn’t “high end” aka expensive.

When dining at a high-end restaurant, especially for the first time, expectations are high, not just the prices. You almost feel compelled to enjoy the experience to justify the price. While I have had fine meals, there have also been disappointments over the years. I do not like that feeling…

1 Like

Sucker!

I have never seen a top dining room (***) refer to itself with this term.

1 Like

Sure, because as the term is used in the industry it’s nothing special.

The problem is: you don’t know how the dining experience will turn out until it is over…

The typical problem of life….

1 Like

I will read reviews, both professional and not. That sometimes gives me a clue. And it probably effects my decision to rarely eat “high end.” I just don’t want to spend a ton of money and then be disappointed.

1 Like

This morning I am hearing news that 8 out of 10 diners are reconsidering their dining out spending due to the rise in cost. In my area of suburban Westchester County, N.Y., so far, I am seeing roller coaster dining room customer counts. Have you cut back, or you don’t care…

1 Like

I’m going out less due to not eating inside due to the Covid surge, so hard to say yet.

you’re gonna be shell shocked when you get back out there.