Cotswolds and Edinburgh

We had an American friend who married a Scottish woman and they lived maybe an hour north of London. One of their neighbors was worked at their equivalent of DMV. He took Michae out for a little test drive to see how much he would need to learn to get his license. After just a few minutes he had him pull over, declaring that he was a long, LONG way from being ready :slight_smile:

Vehicle of choice for the native-born :smile:

Yeah, from what we read, it’s sort of the UK equivalent of the Hamptons. Thankfully, aside from simply encountering other tourists, we didn’t bump into any celebrities (that we know of) or their motorcades. :wink:

@paranoidgarliclover did you check out this spot in Stow-on-the-Wold?

https://www.catholiccompany.com/getfed/medieval-church-door-lord-of-the-rings/

What a great article!!! I’m glad I haven’t been there in about 30 years :slight_smile: I’m reminded of a little candy/soap dish I gave a friend decades ago. It read “Nouveau is better than no riche at all.”

No, I didn’t! Drat. Well, it gives me another reason to visit one day. :slight_smile:

two reports on my blog on indian meals in edinburgh in june:

mother india’s cafe. this is a trendy, allegedly “indian tapas” place (in reality, just regular stuff in small portions).

khushi’s. the most recent incarnation of edinburgh’s oldest indian restaurant, founded in 1947.

both are better than their analogues in the u.s but neither is anything very special.

1 Like

So sad (about the US Indian dining scene) that Mother India’s Cafe doens’t rank as more than pleasant compared to other places in the UK. I now totally get meant when you said in a previous conversation that these places are simply curry houses, and they’ve totally ruined me for Indian food in the US. ::sigh::

BTW, my phone showed 2 Mother India’s in Edinburgh. The restaurant’s website is very confusing; do you know if there actually 2 and, if so, if they’re related?

the website is bloody confusing indeed. as far as i know there is only the one mother india cafe in edinburgh. there seem to be multiple locations in glasgow.