Covid-19: Ideas and Strategies for Shopping and Cooking

Attention Mid-City dwellers @Nemroz, @Dommy, @Luluthemagnificent and others: Smart & Final in Midtown Crossing is super kush, no lines, no waiting. There’s a few empty shelves - hand soap, tissue, sterile alcohol, bread, the usual, but there’s a lot of other stuff and they claim to restock a lot.

3 Likes

Also, Yummy Market on San Vicente is open sporadically throughout the day for deliveries. If you join their rewards program for $20 per month you get coupons, unlimited free delivery and you can share it with up to 5 separate households. Great if you have family in your ‘hood.

3 Likes

I’m only going to outdoor market for now. Dude just died in miracle mile yesterday and we have at least 3 confirmed cases as of yesterday

1 Like

Making sure I stick with only 3 meals per day.

8:00am-Noon Breakfast
Noon-4:30pm Lunch
4:30-9:00pm Dinner

Ok. I sometimes cheat and have a snack from 9:00 to midnight. But that’s it!

8 Likes

Woah! You’re right. So close to home!

What? details, links pls. omg

Yep my sister went to the plant nursery a few days ago so she can spend her time home gardening. The manager said they’re doing great.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for thinking of us! We patronize that store a lot (We love S&F for Pork… their Ribs are so meaty! The pork tenderlions come in packages of TWO!)

I actually went there yesterday in hopes to find flour but no such luck… I’ve been pretty lucky in thinking ahead most everything else, but since we buy sacks of 10lb at a time, my estimation on how much we had on hand was off a by a week. KA’s site is completely out and my bread baker friends are like… get a 50lb sack from Central Milling online… uh. no.

But yes, other than some of the harder to find items, they had lots of good stuff and really nice looking produce. A couple who looked “Nouveau Jefferson Park” :wink: rushed in and saw the well stocked organic produce section they have and just about jumped for joy… “THEY HAVE IT!” I was happy for them as I sulked away… LOL!!

–Dommy!

3 Likes

Happy to hear that! I planted my Tomatomania bounty today right before the rain hit. Fig Produce sent a love letter out to the Mayor for adding nurseries as Essential Businesses. They just put their entire store online so you can do Curbside Pick Up!

3 Likes

Not to put you more on edge, but the LA County Public Health Twitter Feed updates everyday with new cases and any deaths. It gives a breakdown as to the cases by neighborhood. Right now the number of cases are going to go up by a lot, and will as more and more testing happens. We are at 5 deaths as a county… the same as Massachusetts, But we have 4 million more people and they have a lot more isolated areas. If anything, it’s kinda re-assuring that some of our most dense areas, we aren’t seeing huge number of cases. Instead just at first blush, like measles outbreaks… it’s sometimes economic…

https://twitter.com/lapublichealth?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

3 Likes

In this new work from home environment, I find that I actually eat way less. I’m so tied up with conference calls most of the day that I skip breakfast and usually have a very late lunch. Because I often have to wait until after my last call of the day to actually get work done, I find myself too tired to have dinner. I’ll usually clean up after the family and call it a night.

3 Likes

This is pretty much me now as well. I’m not snacking at all either, as often which is good because I finally managed my schedule to attend yoga classes several times a week and now I’m back to just being too exhausted after signing off…

2 Likes

My Pilates studio has been closed so I don’t have that outlet in the meantime…which, I suppose, makes up for me eating way less. I need to find real balance in this new world.

3 Likes

Cool!

I’ve been working at home for years. The difference is that now I have food here, and lots of it. Before the apocalypse, I would go to the market for whatever I needed for that day, always eating fresh.

I have very little willpower.

3 Likes

Hilarious @Dommy.

I didn’t look at the meat at S&F because we have some (not a lot) and my little freezer is stuffed. I’m still waiting for my small stand alone freezer to arrive. You’re right about the produce!

We went to the Wellington Farmers Market yesterday. It’s small with little crowds so the distance management and hand washing was easily enforced.

I’ll post more about the day a little later. Thanks for the tip!

Happy Distancing & Shopping!

2 Likes

That’s great @Dommy. One of the reasons I’m going crazy is because my backyard looks like this, right now!

But it’s going to be lovely… I hope! :relaxed:

5 Likes

I’ve been working from home a few days a week for a while now… gotta’ love the cloud. But I wear different clothes like sweats or yoga pants and didn’t realize I put on some lbs until I had to squeeze into my work clothes. There have been no morning runs to Republique by the husband for a while now. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Tried Instacart delivery for the first time. Ordered 24 items, got 19. I’m sure it was a bad choice to schedule a delivery for Sunday since for a lot of stuff they haven’t had deliveries since Friday. Got billed for two things that weren’t in the bags and they inappropriately substituted gluten-free baking mix for bread flour (all refunded).

Costco Grocery sure has a hell of a lot smaller selection than Costco business delivery.

1 Like

Some were asking on one of the various Covid-19 threads about sanitizing products that come in the home. We wipe things down and don’t save any of the bags. But I also have a few of these bottles around w/alcohol in them. They sell them at WF & on Amazon.