COVID-19 LA Discussion | Will you continue to order takeout or delivery as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads in LA?

Main difference is e-coli or listeria are food-borne, whereas anne’s article is talking about food that was not contaminated being contaminated by the person who prepared it.

Anecdotally, before the shutdown I got sandwiches to go from a place with an open kitchen and you could see the chefs all working with gloves and replacing the gloves very often, which made me feel good. I don’t know how much I’d trust every place; perhaps giving a call to see what precautions they’re taking is the right idea.

There was also a nice article in the Times on washing produce here: Don't worry about coronavirus on your produce: Just wash it.

1 Like

That’s a pretty distorted summary of the actual text NYCtoLA posted.

I’m going to freeze this topic as restaurants are all closed by city and county orders.

1 Like
1 Like

Orange County is on lockdown like the Bay Area

Just a tip to check your local ethnic markets for beans. I bought 3 large bags of lentils at Royal Fresh in North Hollywood this morning. I bought some beans online from Rancho Gordo on their website if you’re looking to cook heirloom beans or something you might find at a higher end restaurant like the French Laundry. It’s all about Instapot cooking with beans – so easy for all of you who “don’t know how to cook.” I love adding fish sauce for some umami. 99 Cents Store is also a great resource for rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer. Get there at opening at 7am/8am. The one in NoHo is large on Sherman Way and hardly any people there so you can keep your distance. Their produce is inexpensive and I’m often surprised of their selection in the morning. I got celery there for 99 cents and a large bag of oranges for 1.99… bananas are inexpensive as well. They also have organic spinach and organic apples. I was able to score Clorox wipes at Big Lots this morning. I’d avoid standing in line at a grocery store. So many sick people in front of me and behind me at El Super that I had to leave the line and head somewhere where I can keep my distance… So much for home grocery delivery with Instacart and Smart and Final… they’re all booked over here in my neighborhood!

Head over to this thread for more on shopping and cooking during self-isolation - Covid-19: Ideas and Strategies for Shopping and Cooking - #20 by catholiver

3 Likes

Monsieur Marcels at the Farmers Market has a good selection of Rancho Gordo beans. Both the market and the majority of the stalls in the farmers market are open including the Butchers. They took out all the tables and the space looks so eerie because of it…

4 Likes

I stopped by the butchers on Saturday figuring that they would still have some things. Got some chicken @ Farmers Market Poultry (although they were out of eggs at the time, but said they were getting more in Tuesday/yesterday). Also picked up sausages and meatloaf mix from Huntington. Both were out of some items, but had plenty of things. Other food vendors had product as well—veggies, bread and candy.

5 Likes

I’ve seen no blindness on the part of epidemiologists. trump, yes, but that’s an old story.

1 Like

Yeah, there really is no “good” option here or an obvious right/wrong. There’s going to be horrible losses (either economic or truly “person”-al) no matter what.

1 Like

Agreed. There is no right or wrong. Unprecedented.

1 Like

I don’t know why @ipsedixit reopened this topic. No one is dining out in LA and we don’t need duplicate threads about the virus. See:

Happy times will soon be here!

Who are you? Where did you come from to espouse this bizarre ideology on a food message board in the middle of a black swan pandemic? Go take a walk.

3 Likes

Nobody ever said ever that it will be easy on any economy worldwide from the get go so you seem to have a very distorted view of what is happening around you. You also haven’t come up with any suggestions how to save the economy without killing millions of people.

5 Likes

To be inclusive @Alkiegourmand is not the only on raising educated questions about the path many nations have taken. This is from the New York Times two days ago. We are all in a giant experiment with grave dangers no matter what we do or don’t do.

3 Likes

No offense, but making broad and flippant remarks is not, IMHO, helpful or the same thing asking thoughtful questions… In your post, you link to an article that presumably is well-written (I haven’t read it yet) and has a viewpoint that is contrary to the mainsteam.

I think other posters are perhaps reacting to the way in which @Alkiegourmand is trying to make his/her point, not just the point itself.

3 Likes

That is probably very true.

2 Likes

Why shouldn’t it be open? It’s a forum for food discussion people to communicate with one another.

3 Likes