COVID-19 LA Discussion | Will you continue to order takeout or delivery as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads in LA?

I stopped by the butchers on Saturday figuring that they would still have some things. Got some chicken @ Farmers Market Poultry (although they were out of eggs at the time, but said they were getting more in Tuesday/yesterday). Also picked up sausages and meatloaf mix from Huntington. Both were out of some items, but had plenty of things. Other food vendors had product as well—veggies, bread and candy.

5 Likes

I’ve seen no blindness on the part of epidemiologists. trump, yes, but that’s an old story.

1 Like

Yeah, there really is no “good” option here or an obvious right/wrong. There’s going to be horrible losses (either economic or truly “person”-al) no matter what.

1 Like

Agreed. There is no right or wrong. Unprecedented.

1 Like

I don’t know why @ipsedixit reopened this topic. No one is dining out in LA and we don’t need duplicate threads about the virus. See:

Happy times will soon be here!

Who are you? Where did you come from to espouse this bizarre ideology on a food message board in the middle of a black swan pandemic? Go take a walk.

3 Likes

Nobody ever said ever that it will be easy on any economy worldwide from the get go so you seem to have a very distorted view of what is happening around you. You also haven’t come up with any suggestions how to save the economy without killing millions of people.

5 Likes

To be inclusive @Alkiegourmand is not the only on raising educated questions about the path many nations have taken. This is from the New York Times two days ago. We are all in a giant experiment with grave dangers no matter what we do or don’t do.

3 Likes

No offense, but making broad and flippant remarks is not, IMHO, helpful or the same thing asking thoughtful questions… In your post, you link to an article that presumably is well-written (I haven’t read it yet) and has a viewpoint that is contrary to the mainsteam.

I think other posters are perhaps reacting to the way in which @Alkiegourmand is trying to make his/her point, not just the point itself.

3 Likes

That is probably very true.

2 Likes

Why shouldn’t it be open? It’s a forum for food discussion people to communicate with one another.

3 Likes

how much things have changed in a matter of weeks. and of course, it’s not like the scientists have figured out something groundbreaking.

4 Likes

FWIW, eater posted an article recently about how the SGV was way ahead of the curve in relation to the rest of LA in that people are still going about their business, but all in masks, etc. - and the rate of infection was significantly lower than in places like BH or brentwood.

1 Like

(Edited out original part b/c I misunderstood your post)

The problem is that, w/o widespread testing, it’s really hard to say what the rate of infection is, right? Is part of it that people in Beverly Hills and Brentwood more likely to get tested?

yup… how many of the Wechat University aunties in the 626 area spreading fake news are going to get tested for covid19 if they’re so scared they don’t even go outside?

2 Likes

Yes. Of course. As you know well, the quoted rates of infection in any community (or country for that matter) are completely useless without VERY widespread testing of both the symptomatic and the asymptomatic with very robust tests, or by antibody testing later. Neither of those are happening here.
The Eater article referenced The SGV Was Weeks Ahead of LA on Coronavirus, and Maybe Still Is - Eater LA was incredibly irresponsible and naive from my point of view as a physician.

Perhaps the true rate of infection and death in the SGV will be lower because they were quicker to don masks and gloves. Maybe they go out less or maybe they go out more than other communities during this crisis. Maybe they have more co-morbidities, maybe less. Maybe they have less ventilators. Perhaps the infection and death rates will be higher because there are lots of elderly there. Who the fuck knows right now? But for Eater to make those inferences is just dumb.

15 Likes

Kristie may be (imo) one of the better food bloggers, but she is not a medical professional. I’m not sure what point SAM is trying to prove by posting that article all over.

1 Like

It’s absolutely ludicrous that Eater can even insinuate such baseless reasoning and simply point to the total # of cases as proof. Going by that writer’s reasoning, are we to assume that the vast amount of cities with 0 positive cases did an even “better” job, whatever that means, of prepping for this pandemic?

Classic example of correlation doesn’t mean causation.

8 Likes