COVID-19 LA Discussion | Will you continue to order takeout or delivery as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads in LA?

well i will be dipped in sit.

I was always more of a Pink Floyd guy.

The gift cards is a great idea.

Husband and I are planning this weekend to go to some of our favorite Asian vegetarian places to show support. But I don’t know. We’re young and healthy and I don’t want to unintentionally be a vector and spread to vulnerable people. Maybe just do take-out.

4 Likes

I think take-out or gift cards is what we will do as well. It is still a way to support restaurants while minimizing the potential risks to people around us. We are fairly young and in good shape but understand the risk of being an asymptomatic carrier.

4 Likes

If you have the means to do it, consider throwing in way too much for tips for your delivery folks and even when you go in for pickup. People in the restaurant industry are really going to need every last dollar to get through these times.

9 Likes

Yes, I will. We all must decide on a reasonable balance between safety and enjoyment of life. My view is that people are overemphasizing the health concerns from coronavirus and understating the economic concerns (which indirectly impose health concerns).

I went to M. Georgina last night. Great restaurant. Better than nearby Bestia. Sad to see so many open tables.

3 Likes

Not relevant to LA but in the last few days of dining out in Northern California, some restaurants continue to be packed, but many are not as full or a bit more notably sparse. The social media and email subscriptions/newsletters of many restaurants are spreading the word that they will open takeout service, and spend 200% more time and then some to ensure cleanliness and use industrial grade disinfectant, and also offer sick leave with pay for their employees.

I’m all for supporting the restaurants during this time, especially the ones I really care about and have personal relationships with. It’s a tough call because elder family members that you are in contact with might guilt trip you into thinking you’re taking a risk and end up being a carrier and infect them just for being outside.

There are new reports out that the virus can be airborne as well once someone sneezes or coughs. So washing your hands is really not enough.

2 Likes

Beverly Hillers don’t seem to know there’s a coronavirus pandemic or they don’t think it affects them or they’re more reasonable than I thought (jk, couldn’t help it). Anyway, on Wednesday my girlfriend/biz associate was at my office until early eve and we decided to go have cocktails & dinner - someplace comfy, nice, but relatively casual (too bad Momed closed). I called S. Beverly Grill and they said they couldn’t take us until 9pm. Did I mention this was a Wednesday? Beverly Dr & Canon had the usual crowds walking around & shopping. After calling around we ended up at Avra. It was packed. I’m glad my dinner was delicious because I was starting to think of it as the last supper, and maybe I should start cooking & eating at home for a bit. But I really started to feel this way the next day when I went to Whole Foods on 3rd and found this… the parking lot was a flooded, wet, mess, no parking spaces, no grocery carts and inside folks were stocking up like the zombie apocalypse was imminent. There wasn’t a chicken in sight. It was contagious - I started thinking I’m being too dismissive of the scare and ended up buying a lot of stuff!

This was the last container of Tofu in the store. I figured there was something wrong with it and decided to pass.

On a serious note - I spoke with a couple of elderly ladies in the store. One was wearing a mask because she has cancer and her immune system is compromised. She was loading up to stay at home for a while. They complained that young, healthy people are being really inconsiderate, cutting in front of them to grab tons of canned goods they don’t need, waiting for them to push the buttons on the elevator, etc. Keep this in mind during the hysteria. There are folks for whom this virus is a genuine concern. Stay healthy, but rational.

P.S. @js76wisco & @hanhgry’s idea of buying Gift Cards from your fave restaurants is a great one.

10 Likes

My friends just reported it’s about a 3 hour wait at Howlin’ Ray’s right now.

1 Like

So now you get fried chicken with an extra side of Corona

Even with the rain, wow that’s really impressive.

One thing (some) restaurants could do to help us help them would be to increase table spacing from NYC-like levels. I just received an email from one of the main offenders in my neighborhood, Pizzeria Mozza, regarding their coronavirus efforts, which alas made no mention of this even though tables there are literally inches from other diners’. Although they come to mind, they are certainly not alone. On the other hand, I understand Republique is making efforts to space out diners.

2 Likes

There’s nothing new about that. That’s the main way it’s spread. That’s why they recommend that people stay six feet apart and infected people wear masks.

I’m worried that overreaction driven by bad information spread by social media will cause unnecessary damage to the economy.

Hey, you’re the person who claimed experts were encouraging hysterical panic and as evidence posted a link to an article by a guy with no relevant qualifications whatsoever.

Recommendations for hot spots like Seattle are quite different from those for the nation as a whole. Conflating the two and making ad hominem attacks on me don’t exactly make you look well informed.

2 Likes

Actually, my elder was not only concerned about herself, but was more concerned that I’d get it and she’d have to stay away and I’d be stuck in a foreign hospital with idiot diplomats from the American Embassy putting me on a cargo plane to quarantine me in California. So yup, Tokyo trip scrapped.

4 Likes

Nobody told Hiro Nori in Irvine about social distancing. 40 person wait list at noon.

1 Like

Worldwide about 3,500 people die everyday from auto accidents: so, in the past two days the world has had more deaths from driving than from COVID-19.

I am not arguing against all of us taking sensible precautions, and I certainly am not arguing against hospitals and medical systems preparing for the onslaught of the very sick that is surely coming our way. Mass testing of those who are even a little sick (or exposed) and home isolation is desperately needed to stem the rate of transmission

But I do think this needs to be in perspective.

6 Likes

shelves @ my local albertsons were pretty decent today, I was pleasantly surprised. I bet in the evening hours it’s going to look wrecked though.

I need to go back just for wine, cuz you know, priorities.

no bathroom tissue or bottled water in sight.

2 Likes

I believe that’s what Rustic Canyon’s doing.

1 Like

Yep, that’s why we were able to get a table at Avra - it’s big and except for the booths the tables are really close together. But I’m glad in a selfish kinda’ way. I got to see and order what our neighbor was eating - one of the best and probably priciest crustaceans I’ve ever had - Wood Roasted Nigerian Tiger Prawn. OMG! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Isaiah 22:13, “Let us eat and drink for tomorrow we shall die.”

3 Likes