Cuban pork, like versailles

Where can I get some versailles like garlicky chicken and/or pork? A friend is in town and she loves versailles. Anything better?

“El Colmao in the Pico-Union district is not a fancy restaurant, and the cooking is the far side of dietetic, but I dream of their garlicky roast pork, fried plaintains, yellow Cuban paella, moros y cristianos, and avocado salad. It is a splendid place, as much a relic of a bygone L.A. at this point as it is of a bygone Cuba.”

1 Like

I like Bella Cuba just across the street from South Coast Plaza. Both their lechon asado and pollo asado are garlicky wonderfulness. They even offer them in a combo.

1 Like

We had a really wonderful meal at La Cubana recently.

1 Like

i used to go there with a cuban friend. cuban friend said recently (this week, actually) that they’ve gone downhill but he didn’t specify how.

If you’re talking about lechon asado, then El Conchinito is your answer.

Shamed to say it, but I’m also a sucker for their vanilla custard. Especially paired with a plate of fried plaintains.

1 Like

el cochinito used to be my favorite cuban place (went there with same cuban friend), but they went hipster, kicked out all the transvestites that used to eat there and their prices more than doubled. i miss the bistec empanizado, side order of yucca, all washed down with a can or two of materva