Cuisine Wat Damnak in Siem Reap, Cambodia

I’m an old fart, but I got dragged to Cambodia, where our daughter lives in Siem Reap, and I really was not interested in eating crickets or tarantulas. But we did have a few really good meals and a great one. Cuisine Wat Damnak in Siem Reap is great. The chef is French but uses the local Cambodian ingredients to do a tasting menu that I describe as the Cambodian equal of the French Laundry. Actually I liked it better than the French Laundry. I always felt that at the French Laundry you only got one bite of each of 10 or so things. At Cuisine Wat Damnak you get 2 or 3 bites of each of 6 things, and of course there is the fact that it costs less than 1/10th of a meal at the French Laundry, at $28 for the 6 course menu it is a bargain. They also have a $24 5 course menu. The menu changes each week so check out the week’s menus at http://www.cuisinewatdamnak.com/

The other place in Siem Reap that I really liked was Mie Cafe. Very fresh Khmer cuisine and Western cuisine Prix Fixe or a la carte. It is housed in a beautifully designed Khmer house and a had delicious light lunch there where I did not feel in the least bit challenged to eat things that the average old fart would find intimidating.

I can second Cuisine Wat Damnak; it was recently rated one of the Asia’s 50 best restaurants, and is Cambodia’s first time on the list.