Curated Menus

My son is a bearded, glasses and skinny jean wearing, artisanal food eating, obscure music listening, headphoned hipster for sure. A Chemical Engineering Major and Tech nerd…

Well- the major- you know once earned, he’ll leave that behind (too constrictive, too many facts) and will embrace growing beneficial nematodes in upstate New York. :smirk:

3 posts were split to a new topic: Quarantine San Diego Board

And he is working in a biotech start-up ?

Not yet. He’s still in college. But petrochem is the industry that employs the most chemical engineers by far and that doesnt appeal to him. He’s actually thinking that engineering for the biochemistry industry (pharma) is likely what he wants to do. And the San Diego area has relatively high demand in this industry.

This sounds about right, if you actually get to know hipsters instead of relying on TV tropes and stereotypes to form your distant imagination of them.

So he would go more into medical devices ? “Classical” biotech (SM, AB or ADC related) in San Diego is getting less and less funding from VCs (and the established ones are cutting down significantly) and have less jobs. SD was 10-15 years ago one of the four major biotech hubs n the US, unfortunately this has changed now (with the exception of med devices)

Wow - has this thread ever gone off the rails…

The only reason for my comment was that a lot of biotechs have job positions that include the word “curator”. Maybe if my original post said “scare most hipster authors”, it would have been a lot more on the mark. LOL