CUT by Wolfgang Puck - Dinner [Thoughts + Pics]

Update 2:

We had another friend’s birthday and she decided on CUT, so off we went. :slight_smile:

Walking through the lobby of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel evokes a sense of classy elegance as usual.

Overlooking the Valet line, we had a @Porthos @J_L @ipsedixit @PorkyBelly sighting! Otherwise known as the FTC Ballers Club! :wink: :smile:

I saw at least 6 or 7 of these fancy supercars, along with the line of Rolls Royces. Maybe it was their butlers as well? :slight_smile:

As we’re seated, the entire service staff makes us feel welcome in this elegant, modern space. It helps that CUT is playing a soundtrack of classic rock the entire evening, ranging from Don Henley, David Lee Roth / Van Halen, Journey and Dio.

Pão de Queijo (Cheese Bread):

One of the small delightful highlights at CUT is the freshly baked Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread). Arriving piping hot, airy, like little clouds of delicate cheesy bread goodness. :blush:

Our server shows off some of the cuts available on this evening:

Grade A5 Wagyu Beef (Miyazaki, Japan):

Barrel Aged Manhattan (Mitchers, Rittenhouse Rye, Antica):

Surprisingly smooth, well-rounded, herbal notes, this was a fantastic Manhattan! :slight_smile:

Bone Marrow Flan (Toasted Brioche, Red Wine Bordelaise, Parsley-Caper Salad):

Buttery, silky, awesome Roasted Bone Marrow on their Toasted Brioche Bread, a great way to start the evening. :slight_smile: (Thanks again @A5KOBE @Pomsmoms @Jase for the recommendation.)

Maryland Blue Crabcakes (Bread Crumbs, Old Bay):

It’s Maryland Blue Crab season, and CUT is showcasing them in style. If you even remotely love Crabcakes, you owe it to yourself to try these Maryland Blue Crabcakes when they’re in season (now)! Every Crabcake was filled with fresh, bright, kiss of the ocean Maryland Blue Crab meat with almost no filler! Outstanding! :heart:

Complimentary Bread Service:

All of their Breads are baked fresh daily, and they seem to be getting better over time: Their Baked Onion Ciabatta was fluffy, soft, and had a beautiful Roasted Onion flavor.

Their Pretzel Roll which came off as so-so in our previous visits was piping hot, fluffy and lighter than usual. :blush:

Samurai Sword (Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey, Ginger, Honey):

A bit more boozy than last time, it was still easy to drink. I loved the Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey paired with Ginger and Honey, giving it a spicy, lightly sweet note. :slight_smile:

USDA Prime Beef Porterhouse (32 oz):

As before, CUT’s signature cooking method involves grilling their Steaks over American White Oak and Mesquite Charcoal, and then finishing it under a 1200 degree broiler.

Arriving a perfect medium rare, what I love so much about CUT’s execution is the wonderful crust, giving way to tender, high quality beefy goodness within. :slight_smile: This USDA Prime Beef Porterhouse didn’t disappoint.

I loved the Strip side, still quite beefy, meaty, but tender.

The Tenderloin side was even more tender, lush and decadent, but so good! :heart:

I do think that I prefer the USDA Prime Beef Illinois Corn Fed Dry Aged 21 Days cut more than the Porterhouse. I wanted to order the Snake River Farms Angus/Wagyu Beef Sirloin that @TheCookie recommended, but I got outvoted by the group. :sweat_smile: Next time!

Mustard (3) and Fleur de Sel:

The 3 types of Mustard are fine, but the quality of the Beef / Steaks are so good with so much flavor that these felt unnecessary. Just a touch of Fleur de Sel for additional salinity is enough.

Grade A5 Japanese Pure Bred Wagyu Beef - New York Sirloin Cut (Miyazaki, Japan):

After taking a bite it is obvious how utterly ridiculous, tender, and luscious Grade A5 Wagyu Beef is compared to the other cuts offered on the menu (and those are great!). :blush: :heart:

Just melt in your mouth, with a slight outer crust from the sear, beautiful, light smoky beefiness with pleasing fattiness. It is SO GOOD! :heart:

Cavatappi Pasta “Mac & Cheese” (Quebec Cheddar):

Molten, creamy, gooey. Delicious.

Kennebec Potato French Fries (Summer Truffles):

A beautiful aroma from freshly shaved Summer Truffles, the slight crispy-crunch and soft potato interior. Fantastic Fries! :heart: Connie & Ted’s Fries are still our favorite, but these are a close second. :slight_smile:

English Peas (Windrose Farms Spring Garlic, Morels, Mint):

A beautiful side dish that shows off California’s gorgeous fresh produce. Every component was vibrant and singing, the English Peas were naturally sweet and popping, the Windrose Farms Spring Garlic, Morels, Mint. Lovely. :blush:

Sunchokes (Smokey Bacon, Cippolini, Jalapeno Aioli):

This was a fun way to enjoy Sunchokes: Fried up, they were almost like eating a Potato Chip / Potato Skins that were crunchy with a nice Bacon backnote.

Morello Cherry Pie (Murray Family Farms’ Earli Glen Cherries, All Butter Crust, Bitter Almond Ice Cream):

Wow! These Murray Family Farms’ Cherries first hit you with a mouth puckering tartness, igniting your taste buds, but then a wave of aromatic, sweet fresh Cherry flavors come through. Loved the buttery, flaky Pie crust. :blush: And that Bitter Almond Ice Cream was perfect.

Key Lime Tart (Lemongrass Chantilly, Graham Cracker Crust, Toasted Meringue):

I would’ve liked a touch more Key Lime flavor coming through, but I loved the Lemongrass Chantilly (brilliant!), so interesting with the Key Lime Tart base.

Of the L.A. restaurants we’ve visited in recent memory, CUT’s service is the closest we have to a shadow of the level of professionalism and top notch service found in San Francisco at their top restaurants. But what we experienced at CUT even given how far off it was from S.F., was still leagues better than any L.A. restaurant we’ve been to recently (sadly). The waitstaff were relatively observant, refilling drinks, asking us if we wanted any additional Cocktails or Wine when we were nearly finished. Clearing plates and utensils gracefully and quietly pretty soon after we finished each course. No complaints.

CUT by Wolfgang Puck continues to shine as our favorite L.A. Steakhouse, done right. From high quality Beef and a good selection of Steaks from various farms and different aging time periods, to Grade A5 Wagyu Beef, all cooked on the grill and finished at 1200 degrees in the broiler, CUT has been delivering the best combination of flavor, texture and the most flavorful Steaks for our taste.

Add in the phenomenal standouts like the in-season, fresh Maryland Blue Crabcakes, Bone Marrow Flan, great Bread Service and stellar service, and it’s just become the place we want to go when in the mood for Steaks.

CUT by Wolfgang Puck
(inside the Beverly Wilshire Hotel)
9500 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Tel: (310) 276-8500

14 Likes

Ah, it must be Chauncey’s day off. I allow him the use of my Aventador one day a month. Meanwhile, I’m back at the chateau eating French tonight, and by French I mean reheating a Stouffer’s French bread pizza (Deluxe edition, mind you)… #GreyPouponmoments

6 Likes

What a great meal! Your meals looks so damn tasty. That mac n cheese is a must order and the bone marrow flan and tuna tartare.

I was at CUT two months ago and they had an amazing butter braised English peas, pea tendrils, and snow pea dish. It was the best pure pea dish I have ever had.

I was talking with the waiter and he told me to always call ahead if you want a particular dish. If they have the ingredients, they will make it the night of your meal.

Also, I believe CUT uses no less than A5 Marble Score 10 True Japanese Wagyu :crazy_face: from what I was told.

And wow, those fries look amazing, nothing like the fries they used to serve. I definitely need to order those. Great report overall!

1 Like

Hi @A5KOBE,

Thanks! :slight_smile: Thanks for the tip on the off-menu English Peas, Pea Tendrils and Snow Pea dish. I’ll be sure to call ahead and ask for it next time we go!

That’s great to know about their A5 Wagyu with the Marble Score of 10, I had no idea.

And yes, definitely give their Fries a try again, the Summer Truffles were so good with the Fries (and the Fries by themselves stood out as well). :slight_smile:

@A5KOBE just curious, would this be graded BMS 12?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw-kZPgBFqG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

That marbling is insane.

1 Like

I’m guessing that is MS 12 just by the even fat distribution. That is a beauty.

1 Like

Thanks @Sgee. I saw that as well. That looks crazy! :sweat_smile: I’m curious what this olive fed beef is like, if there is a real distinct difference in taste.

It’s like comparing regular iberico vs iberico bellota; a buttery nuttier profile vs the regular wagyu imo.

2 Likes

Update 3:

We had another excellent meal over the holidays, this time celebrating another friend’s birthday. As before, the Beverly Wilshire Hotel really knows how to dress up for Christmas:

Displaying their new 2019 Michelin Star:

CUT’s dining room is as sleek, modern, minimalist (except with a few Christmas lights in celebrating the holidays) as before. As a fun contrast to the decor and design, a low volume soundtrack of Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Van Halen and Eric Clapton serenade us throughout the evening. :slight_smile:

(Complimentary) Pão de Queijo (Cheese Bread):

Their Housemade Brazilian Cheese Bread homage is as awesome as always. Arriving hot, with a nice little burst of subtle cheesy goodness within. :blush:

Our server shows off some of the various Steaks on offer tonight, including their Off-Menu Tomahawk Steak (the one in the background):

(Spoiler Alert: We ordered it.) :sweat_smile:

Complimentary Bread Service:

As before, all of their Breads are baked fresh daily. On this visit, the Pretzel Roll was the standout.

Bone Marrow Flan (Brioche Toast, Red Wine Bordelaise, Capers, Sherry Vinegar):

CUT has improved their already delicious Roasted Bone Marrow appetizer from before. Perhaps it’s because of their new(er) Chef de Cuisine Hilary Henderson, or just the overall strive to improve dishes, but the Bone Marrow Flan is now this beautiful balanced creation of savory, richness, a touch of sweet and the Red Wine Bordelaise goes perfectly with the Bone Marrow Flan and the Housemade Brioche Toast Points. Delicious! :heart: (@A5KOBE @Pomsmoms @Jase and others).

See Canyon Orchard’s Apples (Parmigiano Reggiano, Fennel, Medjool Dates, Spiced Almonds):

This was surprisingly really good! The See Canyon Orchard’s Apples with Shaved Fennel, the nuttiness from the Spiced Almonds and nice funk from the Parmigiano Reggiano and some very good Medjool Dates made this a great starter. :slight_smile:

USDA Prime Corn Fed Beef, Illinois - Bone-In New York Sirloin 20 oz:

One of our favorites from our very 1st visit, the USDA Prime Illinois Corn-Fed New York Sirloin Steak was outstanding! Great sear and crust, excellent beefiness, and a nice meatiness while still being so tender. :heart:

Mustard (3) and Fleur de Sel:

Nice set of condiments that arrive with the steak but CUT’s Steaks are excellent as is. :slight_smile:

USDA Prime Tomahawk Chop - 48 oz:

Yes, we had to do it: Apparently some of our friends wanted to “go big, or go home” and thus, CUT’s 48 oz USDA Prime Tomahawk Chop arrived at our table. :sweat_smile:

Besides being a gargantuan slab of USDA Prime Beef, what was amazing about it was that CUT’s staff cooked this through perfectly! Sure there were a few outer edge pieces that were ~medium-well, but 90% of the pieces we got were all a perfect medium-rare, and it was so tender, mouth-watering and delicious! :heart: I was prepared to be disappointed (thinking a chop that big probably won’t be cooked right), but it was fantastic, with a nice beefiness in each bite! :blush: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @TheCookie @A5KOBE @Sgee and others.)

(Off Menu) Kennebec Potato French Fries (Perigordine Truffles):

I have no idea why CUT no longer lists this on the menu, but their excellent Kennebec Potato French Fries with Perigord Truffles is still orderable, you just have to ask for them with the server. They are beautifully crispy with a fluffy potatoey interior, and you’re not getting any bad Truffle Oil, but actual Perigord Truffles shaved over the top. It is incredible, fragrant, and just a wonderful side! :heart:

The Housemade Garlic Aioli just makes it even more amazing.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts (Sesame Aioli, Yuzu Shallots):

Very good. Just cooked through Roasted Brussels Sprouts. The Yuzu Aioli had a nice citrus and creamy note to each bite. :slight_smile:

Creamed Spinach with Fried Organic Egg:

This was OK. True to its name, very creamy, but perhaps a touch too much, so it felt like it overpowered the Spinach itself.

Delicata & Kabocha Squash, Ginger, Lemongrass:

This was another surprise: I loved the Lemongrass & Ginger infusion in the Delicata & Kabocha Squash, it gave it a decidedly Southeast Asian flair, and helped to be a good foil to the Steaks. :slight_smile:

Cavatappi Pasta “Mac & Cheese”, Quebec Cheddar:

Decadent! A little more on the cheesy side than creamy, but overall delicious. It was some of our friends’ 2nd favorite after the Truffle Fries.

B C P (Caramelized Banana, Tahitian Vanilla Custard, Puff Pastry, Banana Sorbet):

CUT has changed up their famous BCP Dessert, but it’s probably even better than before! Taking a bite, you are hit with this stunning, deep Caramelized Banana flavor, which matches perfectly with their Tahitian Vanilla Custard. The Puff Pastry is flaky, buttery, light, and airy. This Dessert was gone in less than 1 minute. :heart:

Caramelized Apple Pie (See Canyon’s Heirloom Apples, Warm Caramel Sauce):

A righteous, classic Apple Pie. Balanced sweetness from the See Canyon Heirloom Apples, the Pie crust was buttery and light, and the Vanilla Ice Cream on top… wonderful. :blush:

Service remained solid at CUT, although there was one stretch of about 15 - 20 minutes where we never saw our server (and wanted to ask for something). Outside of that window, our server and the other waitstaff were attentive and helpful and professional.

CUT by Wolfgang Puck continues to deliver one of the best modern Steakhouse experiences. It starts with their excellent quality Beef (from USDA Prime to American Wagyu to Japanese A5 Wagyu), their expert execution of cooking the steaks over American White Oak & Mesquite Charcoal, and the finishing off of their Steaks under a 1200 degree broiler. The USDA Prime Tomahawk Chop was outstanding tonight, as was their USDA Prime Corn-Fed New York Sirloin Steak from Illinois. Some great starters and sides round things out, and don’t forget about the B C P Dessert, the perfect way to finish things off.

CUT by Wolfgang Puck
(inside the Beverly Wilshire Hotel)
9500 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Tel: (310) 276-8500

12 Likes

Those potatoes…

1 Like

CUT just continues to deliver. Excellent report @Chowseeker1999 !

Did you happen to see the big eye tuna tartare on the menu?

And I highly recommend the pan roasted Maine lobster. Excellent!

2 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Thanks. :slight_smile: No, on our visit, the big eye tuna tartare wasn’t on the menu. I’ll have to try the Maine lobster next time (but I need to convince all of our friends to order seafood in lieu of another excellent steak). :wink:

Nice @Chowseeker1999! Looks great. Those desserts!:heart_eyes: What are the dark brown globs on the plate with the Bone Marrow Flan?

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks! :slight_smile: That’s the red wine bordelaise sauce (concentrated). A little bit of it, with the bone marrow flan on the toast points were delightful.

1 Like

I believe that is the mushroom duxelle which is like globe of crack.

1 Like

Or order both and just tell your friends it’s Surf & Turf.

1 Like

Hi @A5KOBE,

Just noticed that on our menu while they didn’t have the Big Eye Tuna Tartare, they were serving a Tuna Toro with Smoked Soy Sauce, Pickled Daikon Radish & Chives. Have you had that before? Thanks.

1 Like

That seems yummy.

1 Like

I haven’t had that although I did have a tataki with similar ingredients, I believe a ponzu, which I thought was good but not great. The Big Glory Bay Salmon tartare on the other hand almost reached the heights of the Big Eye Tuna tartare.

I’ll be going to CUT soon enough so I think I’ll call in advance and see if they can make the Big Eye Tuna app during my visit. The staff told me if you give them advanced notice and they have the ingredients, they can make it available.

2 Likes