Dak galbi?

Where does one go for dak galbi?

A sort of Korean version of chicken fried steak made with chicken.

Thank you.

mapo galbi

Chicken fried steak, like the breaded beef dish that’s served smothered with gravy? I’m a little confused because dak galbi is a spicy stir-fried chicken dish with veggies and rice cakes, or, less commonly, just spicy marinated grilled chicken. Might you mean dduk galbi, which is more like a seasoned/marinated minced/pounded beef patty (still not chicken, however)?

1 Like

No definitely dak galbi. Just fast forwarding my meal to the end for the fried rice portion of the meal.

But speaking of dduk galbi, do you have a recommendation in LA?

Ah, then second @PorkyBelly’s recommendation of Mapo. Much as I, too, would love to get right to the best part, it seems good, fried, crunchy bits only come to those who wait. :slight_smile:

And the only place I know of that serves dduk galbi is Jook Hyang, on Olympic a few doors down from Yuchun, but I found it to be just ok, not really worth going out of the way for.

Yes, indeed!

Dduk galbi seems like such a simple dish that it should be more prevalent. Sort of like why Salisbury Steak isn’t more common, and of better quality when it is available.

1 Like

i think you need two people minimum for the dakgalbi at mapo galbi.

is chuncheon woomi still open? IIRC jonathan gold gave them a plug for their dakgalbi.

[quote=“ipsedixit, post:6, topic:3443”]
Dduk galbi seems like such a simple dish that it should be more prevalent. Sort of like why Salisbury Steak isn’t more common, and of better quality when it is available.
[/quote] When you find out where to get good versions of both let me know. I’d like to partake.

[quote=“TheCookie, post:8, topic:3443, full:true”]

Yeah, Salisbury Steak is like my Moby Dick.

Part of me really wishes that Animal would do a take on Salisbury Steak. I can only begin to imagine the possibilities that Jon and Vinny can come up with …

4 Likes

They would probably just add foie and top with gravy. It’s not a complicated playbook. Which is not to say it isn’t well executed or successful.

I think it does Animal a disservice to distill the restaurant down to just adding foie and some gravy on their dishes. I enjoy their offal dishes (pig ears, and veal tongue) more than the pure gluttonous ones (like the foie gravy biscuit or oxtail poutine).

I’d bet some bone marrow added to a Salibury Steak would be a mighty fine addition,

You’re right. I forgot bone marrow :wink:

It’s fat on fat on fat.

Like I said, doesn’t mean it’s not successful at what it does.

1 Like

Random Mapo Galbi dak galbi mention and pictures in an LA Times article today: In the food world, when Instagram is your business card

I swear.

The world is ripping off FTC content. This has to stop.

[tongue firmly planted in cheek]

2 Likes

Yeah, we’re not that special…

1 Like

[quote=“ipsedixit, post:9, topic:3443”]
I can only begin to imagine the possibilities that Jon and Vinny can come up with …
[/quote] That would be crazy good.

@Porthos does not like Animal. I’ve noticed this before. If you look at his restaurant and food posts you’ll see he has a completely different palate than the food served at Animal. But that’s great too. I always enjoy seeing what/where he eats. But, you’ll never sway him on a place like Animal.

But, I’m with you babe. I love it.

3 Likes

um… meatloaf?

1 Like

Not sure how much more different it would be from the foie loco moco.

1 Like

As far as I can tell from your input on the home cooking board, both here and at Chowhounds, you are one heck of a cook. Why not just make your own? Grind your own beef, use a killer beef stock for the gravy, excellent bread crumbs, a beef reduction instead of onion soup…throw in some marrow…and let us know how it turns out. Maybe a little Bentons’ bacon in with the beef…not too much…

1 Like

for the record, i can appreciate a good meatloaf.