Dave's Hot Chicken (Thai Town Pop-Up)

Just hit up Dave’s Hot Chicken for the first time today after work.
3 young guys set up DIY fryers doing Nashville Hot Chicken (mild, hot, extra hot, and CAROLINA REAPER) in Chicken Tender form only…$10 two tenders, kale cole slaw, fries, and sliced bread.
…and it was top tier hot chicken wow. Rivaled or better than Howlin Ray’s IMO.

I ordered two extra tenders ($3 per additional tender) and loved it.
They are open 7pm-sell out (they sell out usually around 12am-1am).
Check these guys out, it’s delicious.

Dave’s Hot Chicken
5115 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Monday-Saturday 7pm-sellout, closed Sunday’s — Cash only

6 Likes

Been meaning to try but haven’t made it over to east hwood thx for the report

Been meaning to try this place too. This report is the incentive I need!

1 Like

Been on my to do list as well.

Awesome, thanks for the report. I posted about this place wondering if anyone had tried it and there were no responses. I guess everyone has been meaning to try it but you’re the only one that actually tried it.

Was there a line/wait?

I got there at 6:40 (and they didn’t actually start taking orders till about 7:05).
I was the first person in line so I ordered first.
It’s a DIY operation so it takes them some time to cook the chicken…I’d say wait time once you order is about 20minutes.
WORTH IT.

Looks like the line started to pick up as I was leaving…Prob 20min wait tops to order.
I’d guess you will be in and out (with your food or eating) within 1 hour.
Lines/wait not nearly as bad as Rays.

3 Likes

Did you by any chance ask them if they have any plans on serving bone in chicken in the future?

1 Like

I did not ask them about bone-in, but I read online that they are considering it.

1 Like

I want to understand what is making people flip out about fried chicken with a fuck load of cayenne on it… it’s not complicated or interesting… takes basic technique to make… f uck is going on here ? the hype machine is really strong.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s very unusual for people in LA to flip out over a fad. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Because good fried chicken is hard to do, regardless of the seasoning.

3 Likes

If the hype machine is so strong and the technique so basic, you should cash in and and make a fortune. :wink:

1 Like

Agree with you. Look at the LA area and consider the fried chicken places - not many around, and of those? Very very few considered​ worthy. If more were around, Howlin’Ray’s wouldn’t have those lines. LA is starved for fried chicken done right.

2 Likes

Friend insists on going here. Anyone been recently? Told him I heard mixed reviews and it will not be as good as HR’s.

In exchange he will agree to also hit up Yai’s (Hollywood Blvd location) and Yuca’s (Hillhurst location) with me, what a pal!

2 Likes

I’d suggest going it’s good

It definitely won’t be as good as HR, but I still like Dave’s a lot. Also lines are shorter, it’s a little cheaper, and you can go wait in the wine bar nearby after you order if it’s crowded. And being able to eat it for dinner/late night is a huge benefit too.

I’ve honestly never quite understood the Yuca’s love; what do you get there?

Hamburger

Srsly. Rlly.

When we tried Dave’s for the first time, we thought the boat noodles at Pa Ord were as good as always, and the coconut juice was very refreshing.

4 Likes

The burgers!!!