Daybird - Szechuan Hot Chicken

chowkiss1999 is ringing the downhill alert bell and bait and switch alarm because sergio wasn’t in the kitchen that day and he had undercooked breading, uneven frying, oily breading, and chunks of unrendered “Chicken Fat” :sob: :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Another data point here…I’ve been there at least 6 or 7 times and it’s been just as good everytime. Never saw Sergio there…

4 Likes

That’s from May 22. I don’t put much stock in Yelp, but it’s almost impossible to maintain a five-star average there.

just pointing out the downhill alert @paranoidgarliclover was referring to.

2 Likes

I’ve been back 3 times and never had a bad experience whatsoever. A fantastic delectable sandwich that in many ways is even better than Howling Ray’s because of the lack of wait time and speedy service.

The one critique would be the Hong Kong milk tea is a flop, but the lemonade (?) I got was wonderful and fries spectacular. Mei Lin has done it again!

2 Likes

What’s wrong with it?

I just didn’t find it was a very refreshing compliment to the chicken sandwich. A bit too muted and understated for the meal.

The lemonades she has are a much better balance imo.

That’s a much more nuanced and reasonable opinion rather than calling it a flop without any underlying reason.

But I respectfully disagree and think that their HK milk tea is very much like what you can find at a cha chaan tang in Hong Kong. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth with a good balance between milk and tea flavor.

4 Likes

In June we ordered 56 sandos for the all our neighbors and not a single complaint—if anything super impressed with the kitchen crew and Sergio wasn’t there.

9 Likes

I agree with all your comments, but it is not a great counterpoint to the chicken sandwich at all. Totally out of place in a fried chicken sandwich, the lemonade is a much better addition to the meal.

Warrior: Can’t we just agree that milk tea is an abomination? Does it have a boba straw and hello kitty on the outside?

Milk tea is delicious…minus the boba.

3 Likes

Warrior: personally, I like tea tea. This is one of the things that mainland China gets right. Hopefully milk tea will be part of the latest government crackdown, along with too cute guys.

1 Like

I love milk tea!

Daybird now delivers through Doordash.

I can only imagine what a limp daybird sandwich would be like by the time it arrived. And that image is not too appealing.

1 Like

$2.50 markup for the sanwhich plus 6 dollar delivery on doordash, brutal

Maybe makes more sense for large orders.

1 Like

I remember some people here were saying prices weren’t marked up on delivery apps because it’s against the T&Cs :joy::joy:

It’s such common practice

That’s $25 split between the driver, the restaurant, door dash, and California. Everyone’s gotta eat.

1 Like