December 2016 Weekend Rundown

Yeah, I believe it is under the “mas grande antojitos” or something section of the menu.

Yeah, there asada is not good. The chorizo is good but they don’t have a runny yolk as you describe. The fried egg sounds great though and will need to “investigate” more.

Did you notice any holiday hours? I may want to make Christmas breakfast burritos.

I’m wondering if you can get the chorizo and just ask them for the fried egg–they seem very accommodating there. Come to think of it, I believe the window said they are closed on Christmas.

1 Like

attran, the gingerbread house is great, but you fail to mention your kids are in their 30s!!!

1 Like

They have specials on a blackboard by where you pick up your drinks. Once they had cabbage rolls. I was sooo happy.

Beef tartare at Petit Trois.

5 Likes

@nosh My kids are all under the age of 14.

A terrific lunch at Cafe Angelino, near Cedars-Sinai: Orechiette pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli and chicken sausage, risotto con porcini, cioppino with branzino, shrimps, calamari, clams, mussels & heirloom tomatoes, baby artichoke salad with Parmigiano-Reggiano… Washed it all down with some pinot grigio…

6 Likes

Knott’s Berry Farm

Cute Snoopy cupcakes

Holiday churro

Hot chocolate with crushed candy canes

Mrs. Knott’s fried chicken

8 Likes

I was there yesterday too! I finally get all the love for the falafel sandwich. Last time I tried it, the greens were wilted by the time I was able to eat the sandwich, and the sprouts overwhelmed the other veggies. This time the greens were fresh and vibrant and the flavors very well balanced. Delish!

4 Likes

Our Yang Chow plans were foiled by a long wait time. Instead, we tried Chinese Friends down the street. Happy with our Chinese American feast. Started with the sizzling rice soup. Our server divided the soup between our bowls in a most egalitarian way, ensuring we all had sizzling rice, chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, and assorted veg. One of my dining companions said it was the perfect chicken broth. Light and clean with a depth of flavor. My favorite entree of the bunch was the house special shrimp, lightly fried and kissed with a spicy sweet sauce. Sautéed fresh string beans were perfectly crisp with an addicting ginger sauce. Kung pao pork was chock full of peanuts and diced dried red chilies. Cashew chicken and sweet and sour chicken were less my thing, a little more gloppy with sauce and no real complexity of flavor. I did not try the curry shrimp one of my dining companions ordered but it looked rather oily. Friendly and efficient service, and a clean kitchen filled with fresh veggies (walked through to use to loo). Lots of noise and rambunctious kids in the dining room, but we still had a great time chatting and gearing up for our night. Only one photo before socializing overtook documenting.

The next day we took our guests to Grand Central Market after a show at California Plaza. Us “regulars” went to Villa Morelianas for their carnitas mixtas. They let you try before you buy, giving out sizable carnitas tacos as samples. The purchased tacos are even bigger. I topped mine with pickled onions and salsas (one green, one red) from the condiment bar. Partner ordered a burrito (without rice), which was massive. I ordered two tacos but could only finish one. Our guests all opted for the Bento Ya, ordering what looked to be mackerel bentos. I did not elicit feedback from them, but they cleaned their plates.

9 Likes

Is Rucker’s Pie doing another pop up? I feel like I must go to there…

(Edit: never mind; I’m so far behind on the weekend rundowns that I should remember that the question usually gets answered 10-20 posts after I see the thread that results in me wanting to ask a question)

I’m on post 127 now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yakiniku Yazawa - that “Yazawa-yaki” and “zabuton” :scream: A5 Miyazaki, but it was that smokey tare sauce and ethereal egg wash of the Yazawa-yaki that made it truly one of the best bites I’ve had in LA. Oh, and that oxtail soup to finish! No pictures, unfortunately - we inhaled everything.

Gjusta for breakfast - lox bialy, BLT with fried egg, oil-cured sardines on sourdough, smoked salmon collar and salmon belly.

Yes, this one looks paltry - but we quickly loaded up the toasts with more after.

Wayy too many Blue Star and Sidecar donuts (Blue Star won the comparison) - huckleberry bourbon basil, “the O.G.,” lemon poppy butter, and passionfruit with cocoa nibs were the best. Sidecar’s apple cider jam sufganiyot was a nice treat, though. The holiday Eggnog Creme Brulee (with mini dropper) was a bit boozy, but the textures had big contrast.

Sidecar’s Israeli sufganiyot filled with apple cider jam

A&J restaurant - marinated pig ears, cucumber salad, wontons in chili oil, fried pork chop noodle soup, Szechuan home style spicy beef noodle soup.

Sushi Ginza Onodera LA omakase

Cabernet sauvignon braised monkfish liver from Hokkkaido

Pho 45 (Garden Grove) - large pho dac biet x2

Too stuffed for Connie & Ted’s, we had to skip it unfortunately. Snacked on leftover smoked salmon belly and Blue Star donuts.

Two days and probably 5lbs heavier, I’m very satisfied with my weekend in LA :grin:

18 Likes

Nice weekend, did you make it to salt & straw?

I did not, unfortunately. We were so hungry after looking at all the cases at Gjusta that we forgot about Salt and Straw, honestly. Two boxes of donuts, two hot coffees, a cold brew, and a bag from Gjusta in a bumpy ride…I barely made it without spilling. On Sunday, after pho, we were stuffed. It just skipped our minds, but next time, I will remember. Arbequina olive oil is a must, so I’ve been told.

Went to Gjusta on Sunday night, got the seabass with white wine and capers. Probably the best fish dish I had all year. Perfect rendition of a classic. It is also half the price of the sole muniere at Petit Trois–and a better dish.

Update: I should actually say more like a quarter of the price! A recent review on yelp puts a recent price of that dish at $67 there.

7 Likes

The dinner specials seem to get passed over by most at Gjusta. As you attest, that’s their loss.

2 Likes

There’s really no better time to go to Gjusta than a weekday night. The specials are great, the atmosphere is less crowded and more friendly, and sometimes you can even ask the chef if he has anything he recommends and he’ll whip you something up. The people next to me on Sunday got an off-menu mixed grill plate with duck and pork sausages in a cast iron pan, a big piece of bread and a beautiful looking sauce for like $16.

4 Likes

They had an awesome lamb panzanella back in summer. Seabass sounds delicious. But you eat it there or take it home? For dinner specials, I’m less inclined to bring them home, but with some good wine it could make for a fantastic easy Sunday night dinner.

1 Like

I eat it there. For something like a seabass dish, the crispy skin with the perfect sauce is essential and would be lost in a box on a trip home.

3 Likes