December 2017 Weekend Rundown

Dominique Ansel Bakery

Strawberry Butter and Cinnamon Toast Ganache, filled with slow-cooked strawberry preserves and creamy cinnamon ganache
Ate a pair of deez nuts and they were way too sweet with too much filling. you couldn’t take a bite without the filling shooting out the other end. stick with the dka.

7 Likes

Pargiot plate at ta eem might be one of the best dishes in LA… living the dream eating this right now.

5 Likes

ARC

The veggie dishes here are head and shoulders above their protein options.

Charred brussel sprouts :heart_eyes:

Thick Cut Bacon

Succotash :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Really tasty dish, served with cauliflower, fresh made crispy tortillas and some chili sauce. The tortillas had excellent flavor and making little tacos made each bite complex in flavor, all complimenting each other.

7 Likes

Santa Barbara Shellfish Company

Live santa barbara uni, scallops, lime
Nothing like going into SB to rape, pillage, plunder and murder some prickly uni. You know it’s fresh when you get both gonads and um… shirako for the price of one and the uni is still trying to impregnate the scallops.

onion ring #vegetable
20171217_181652

6 Likes

Holy shit that looks amazing.

Yelp pics also look amazing.

Psy Burger

We’ve been wanting to try this place ever since @kevin recommended it in his writeup earlier this year. Psy Burger (a nod to “psychedelic,” not the Korean pop singer) is a Kosher Burger Shop opened up in a tiny strip mall by Israeli native Uzi Wiseman.

Potatoes Confit:

This sounded intriguing and we were happy we ordered this: Chef Wiseman creates a ridiculous Potato dish. Slow-cooked in a blend of Seed & Vegetable Oils, it is a nod to French cooking techniques to make dishes like Duck Confit.

The Confit Potatoes turn out to be tender, with an almost luscious creamy quality(!), fragrant with Garlic and Soy Sauce. This was SO GOOD! :heart:

Portobello Crunch (Deep Fried Portobello Mushrooms topped with Homemade Barbecue Sauce, Raw Tahini and Sesame Seeds):

This looked a little gloppy, but it was delicious! :slight_smile: The Portobello Mushroom is deep fried and cooked all the way through, with all its natural juices sealed inside the crunchy breading. The Homemade Barbecue Sauce actually works… it’s not as overpowering as typical BBQ Sauce, and the Raw Tahini blended with it just enhances each bite with a bit of creaminess. Definitely a surprise. :blush:

Market Salad (White Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Lettuce, Cucumber, Carrot, Red Onion, Sweet Red Pepper, Green Onion, Chopped Celery and Herb Mix, choice of Middle Eastern or Japanese Dressing):

This was a hefty Salad, with lots of substantial Vegetables going into the bowl. This was pretty good with the Japanese Dressing, a little bit of sweet, savory, herbal, heavy crunch in each bite.

Chicken Wings - Hot Sauce:

Psy Burger serves their Chicken Wings with 2 types of Sauces. The ones with their Housemade Hot Sauce had decent heat, and the Chicken itself was fine (deep fried-style).

Chicken Wings - Barbecue Sauce:

The Chicken Wings coated in their Homemade Barbecue Sauce were lightly sweet-savory, with a slight crunch (from the deep fried wings underneath). We liked the Hot Sauce version more.

Portobello Burger (Crispy Portobello Mushrooms served with Vegetables, Raw Tahini and Homemade Barbecue Sauce):

I didn’t realize until it was too late that my friend ordered the Portobello Burger, which was basically the Crispy Portobello Appetizer but in Burger form. :sweat_smile: But it’s fine. We were splitting dishes and it tasted just as delicious with the bun, which was a heftier style, soft on the inside and denser on the exterior.

Their Mixed Fries (French Fries and Sweet Potato Fries) were very good. Slight crisp to them, and it just hit the spot. :slight_smile:

Chicken Breast Burger (Grilled Chicken Breast with Mediterranean Seasoning, served with Vegetables, Raw Tahini, and Chili Paste Dressing) + “Psy Style” (Sweet Onions, Fried Egg, Grilled Mushrooms):

I wanted to try their Beef Burger originally, until I remembered @kevin said that it was made with a 60/40(!) ratio of Lean-to-Fat Ground Chuck. :sweat_smile: I just didn’t feel like eating something too fatty on this visit.

The Grilled Chicken Breast Burger, while sounding boring, was actually really flavorful. The Grilled Chicken Breast was slightly dry, but with some nice caramelization from the the grill and their Housemade Mediterranean Seasoning helped to elevate the typical Chicken Burger you might find at other places. I liked the Fried Egg, Grilled Onions and Mushrooms as well, which helped to round out the flavors.

The staff were really friendly and nice, and from the excellent Potatoes Confit, Portobello Mushroom Crunch (Appetizer and Burger) and solid Fries, Psy Burger is a place we’d be glad to go back to visit the next time we’re in the area.

Hours:
Open Sunday - Friday Afternoon (4:00 p.m.)
Closed Friday Evenings & Saturdays

Psy Burger
15030 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Tel: (747) 264-0591

Wild & Free

After reading about this opening on Eater months ago, we decided to stop by (since it was close to Psy Burger as well). Wild & Free is fast-casual restaurant from one of the founders of Plan Check (but not Chef Uchimura). It focuses on Rotisserie Chicken, which we’re always looking for a great version of, so we couldn’t wait to see how this might turn out. :slight_smile:

Walking inside, it’s very… clean and minimalistic, but perhaps too much so. It felt like we were in a parody of a marketing-designed fast food concept instead of an inviting, relaxing eatery. But it was nice to see they used Mary’s Chicken and Weiser Family Farms (which we love their produce at the farmers market).

They offer 4 types of seasonings for their Rotisserie Chicken, so we started with:

Smoky BBQ Rotisserie Chicken (Paprika, Cumin, Brown Sugar, Hickory Powder) - Breast & Wing:

The flavors were OK. The Paprika and Cumin blend with a bit of the Brown Sugar and Hickory Powder gave the facsimile of “BBQ,” but it didn’t taste like it was a slow-cooked, slow-smoked “BBQ Chicken” at old-school BBQ joints.

The Breast meat itself was a bit overcooked, slightly dryish, but still tender with a bit of moisture in parts. The skin was also a bit flabby and not really cooked down.

W&F Original Rotisserie Chicken (Black Pepper, Salt, Onion, Garlic) - Leg & Thigh:

This was their Original base flavor, and it was a bit underwhelming. :frowning: It tasted like an OK Rotisserie Chicken, but the Chicken Skin was flabby, the seasoning blend tasted kind of boring (just Salt and Black Pepper notes).

California Chicken Cafe and especially Polla Ala Brasa are much better.

Broccolini (Roasted, Salt & Pepper):

We liked that they had healthier sides, and the Roasted Broccolini was a tasty side dish to go with the Chicken. Cooked just through.

Cauliflower (Rotisserie, Curried):

Their Rotisserie Cauliflower was also appreciated as a healthy alternative side, but we were disappointed that the “Curried” flavor that the menu promised was barely there.

Wild & Free charges $11.95 for a Quarter Chicken including 2 Sides, or $15.95 for Half a Chicken with 2 Sides.

Overall, Wild & Free Rotisserie Chicken was a disappointment. The flavors were lacking and the Chicken meat itself tasted a bit bland (even though they say they use Mary’s Chicken). For Rotisserie Chicken there are too many other options that just do it better, but we’re glad to have their healthier sides. I’m hoping they can improve their Rotisserie cooking and seasoning over time.

Wild & Free
4550 Van Nuys Blvd, #A1
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Tel: (818) 616-5688

https://www.eatwildandfree.com/

Venice Ramen

We finally made it out to Venice Ramen to give it a try, since it had been recommended by a few FTC’ers as a good choice, especially for the area.

Walking in, there’s a large mural proudly stating the Ramen-ya’s origins from Shibuya, Japan. The concept is run by Chef-Owner Hideki Mochizuki, who’s been running his own Ramen shops in Shibuya since 1994. This sounded encouraging and we couldn’t wait to try it. :slight_smile:

Tokyo Classic Chuka Soba (Roasted Pork Chashu, Cooked Bamboo Shoots, Cooked Egg, Green Onions):

This was Chef Mochizuki’s take on the classic, lighter Tokyo-style Shoyu Ramen according to our waitress. The Shoyu Broth was made from a Torigara (Chicken Bone) base. It was clean and light, but a bit one note. It wasn’t bad, but compared to the Shoyu at Mensho Tokyo and it wasn’t even close. Mensho’s Shoyu Broth is more complex, it’s lighter, yet more savory and crave-worthy.

We appreciate that Venice Ramen actually makes their own Ramen Noodles by hand, which is pretty rare in the States. That being said, while there was some nice density / body, it was a bit soft (overcooked). It might’ve been an off day.

Lastly, there is no getting around it: Their Egg is downright awful! :frowning: It is one of the worst-tasting Eggs we’ve had in a bowl of Ramen in a long time. It’s completely overcooked, hard boiled, chalky and bland. :confounded:

Their Chashu Pork slices are even worse(!). They tasted really old and downright insipid. Add to that, they were chewy, and tasted like it sat in the refrigerator for days, these were really some of the worst Chashu Pork we’ve had in a bowl of Ramen as well. :sob: We were shocked and pretty disappointed.

Original Tokyo Tonkotsu Salt Ramen (Roasted Pork Chashu, Cooked Bamboo Shoots, Cooked Egg, Green Onions):

Their Tokyo Tonkotsu Shio Ramen came recommended by the waitress (who said it was their other specialty besides the Shoyu), and when we saw the opaque, creamy, milky Tonkotsu Broth, we were hopeful this was an improvement.

Thankfully it was. :slight_smile: Chef Mochizuki’s Tonkotsu (Pork Bone) Ramen has a good porky funk to the broth, and is lighter than the super porky versions you can find around town. But it has enough of the Pork Fat and long-stewed Broth to make it like a pseudo-“light” version of Tonkotsu if you were in the mood.

Their Handmade Ramen Noodles for the Tonkotsu are the thin, straight type, which is a good pairing and hearkens back to the Hakata style found at Shin Sen Gumi. These were still soft, but less overcooked than the Shoyu and generally pretty good. Next time I’d ask them for firmer Noodles.

Their Egg is sadly just as chalky and awful as the Shoyu Ramen (something @Ns1 called out a few months ago). :frowning: And their Chashu Pork slices in this bowl were just as inedible, old and chewy as the previous bowl of Ramen we had. :sob:

Jumbo Gyoza (Pan-Fried Pork Dumplings):

They make their Gyoza in-house, which is nice, and these were substantial. “Jumbo” is an accurate description as these were easily 2-3 times the size of normal Gyoza being offered at most Ramen shops around town.

There was a nice char on the bottom and they were well seasoned. :slight_smile:

Venice Ramen seems like a great concept with all the makings of a mainstay Ramen-ya: A pedigree of a Ramen Chef from Shibuya, Tokyo serving Ramen out of his Tokyo stores since 1994. Handmade Noodles (a rarity). And a Westside location.

While their Shoyu (Soy Sauce) Broth for their Chuka Soba is decent, it lacks depth. It’s great for the neighborhood and I’d be glad to stop by if I was in the area. Their Tonkotsu Shio Broth is quite good, and a nice lighter alternative for those looking for “Tonkotsu Ramen,” but not wanting super fatty, heavy versions.

However, their Chashu Pork slices and Egg are the worst renditions of Chashu and Tamago that I’ve had in a bowl of Ramen in years (not joking). :sob: :frowning: I can’t believe this was made from a shop of this much potential. Sure, you can try and ignore it, but these days, I don’t want to waste my calories on slurping Broth and eating White Carbs with no other supporting pieces to the meal.

When we asked the waitress if Chef Mochizuki was in, she said “He’s not here. Probably playing golf.” So maybe it’s a case of Sergio not being in the kitchen?

Venice Ramen
515 Washington Blvd.
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
Tel: (310) 448-8886

https://www.veniceramen.com/

Sapp Coffee Shop

While we’ve driven by so many times, this was surprisingly our first ever visit to the famed Sapp Coffee Shop! :slight_smile: We’d heard so much about it on our old board, and here, but finally made it out.

Boat Noodles with Pork (Pork, Pork Meatballs, Pork Stomach and Pork Liver):

The famous Thai Boat Noodles that some Hounds and FTC’ers would talk excitedly about did not disappoint: This was heady, funky, shocking (for some) Noodles. When you’re presented with a dark crimson bowl of Pork Blood Broth with bits of Pork, Pork Meatballs, Pork Stomach and Liver and more cubes of Pork Blood, what do you do? :sweat_smile:

I’m not an Offal fan, but I can appreciate the organ meats once in a while. Blood? Not so much. :cold_sweat: But while it did taste iron-y and funky, it was still quite savory and well-seasoned. Our friend (who loves Offal) devoured their portion.

I liked this more than Pa Ord Noodle’s version of Thai Boat Noodles.

Jade Noodles (with BBQ Pork, Roast Duck and Crab Meat):

And then we had the Jade Noodles. I can see why so many of our esteemed FTC’ers like the Jade Noodles so much. :slight_smile:

Besides the beautiful colors, it’s just got this nice combination of sweet-savory from the BBQ Pork, the nice fattiness from the Roast Duck, the bit of Crab, and some crunch from the Peanuts. Add in the Green Onions, Cilantro and a squeeze of Lime and you have this sweet-savory-citrus-meaty bowl of happiness. :smile:

Huge thanks to @J_L @wienermobile @Bookwich @JeetKuneBao and many others for the recommendation! :slight_smile:

What else would people recommend to order at Sapp?

Sapp Coffee House is a place I wish was closer to us, because we’d be stopping in for a quick bite to eat every week if that were the case! :smile: From the funky Boat Noodles to the delicious Jade Noodles, we’ll be back for more Noodles, and to try other things on the menu for sure.

(CASH ONLY)

Sapp Coffee Shop
5183 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Tel: (323) 665-1035

7 Likes

Sapp has the best Thai Tea in Thai Town! LOL seriously.

The “third” noodle dish after Jade and Boat is the Sen Chan Pad Pu, glass noodles with egg and crab. Be sure to balance it out with some chile sauce.

1 Like

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Thanks for the rec on the Sen Chan Pad Pu. I’ll have to try it next time. :slight_smile:

That’s what I had when I went! I wanted to try something different, and it was so good.

2 Likes

Agreed, pretty tasty but get it only after you already had a round of the jade and boat noodles.

2 Likes

Rodded

Known for the duck noodle soups…

But they also got some pretty good dishes and at table side a addicting chile sauce…

I wanna say garlic, chiles, and lime? Not a lot of places making this for table side condiment tray in Thai Town.

Ham Hock with Mint Leaves. Got it mild which was a mistake as later on in the meal the waitress said to get it Thai spicy next time. Went really well with that chile sauce I mentioned above…

Daikon Cake. Probably wouldn’t get this next time as they don’t give a lot of daikon. Check out Kim Ky in SGV/Little Saigon for this.

Omelette with ground pork, tomatoes, onions, and green onions. Very tasty and homily when combined with everything over some rice.

5 Likes

Killer Noodle. My son got a 5 and I got a 0.

6 Likes

Lunch at Taco Maria

Was really excited about trying this place out. Heard about Chef Salgado years ago in OC Weekly when Taco Maria was a truck.

Tacos come in 2, but I opted for one of each. My own little tasting menu of tacos.

Lunch menu

Aguachile. Hokkaido scallops were sweet and creamy against a backdrop of citrus and subtle heat. This was very good!!! Order it!

Fish Taco. Flavor was there but unfortunately the fish was soggy, like microwaving a formerly fried food. Probably wouldn’t order this again. Only other circumstance would be ordering this and only this as all the tacos came out at once and this little fishy lost all of its crispness.

Mushroom and Potato Taco. Reminds me of a chorizo-potato breakfast burrito. Tasty.

Chicken Mole Taco. Again flavor is there but wasn’t a fan of the chicken, as my preference is to have the chicken completely engulfed in the mole and for the mole to be warm, I believe the warmth really brings out the spices. I think the mole was from a squeeze bottle?

Pork Belly Taco. Great flavors here, smokey and a little fatty but balance out with tart and sweet. Belly was a little dry.

Skirt Steak Taco. Again the flavors are there but the steak lacks a little juiciness that you crave in a good steak taco.

Quesadilla. In a conversation with one of the Chefs I was told in the summer they have corn fungus, but they use mushrooms when out of season. I would come back for that!!
This was delicious though.

Some thoughts:
The tortillas are beautiful in texture, look, and taste. Simply the best.
Lack of salsa. A good Taco doesn’t need a lot but I do believe it helps elevates and balances out the flavors.
Service was great.
For me personally, the proteins today were off but the flavor is definitely there in everything.
The aguachile and quesadilla were my favorites. Did you see that plate for the quesadilla? Stunning. As for the tacos, I could see the pork belly being an absolute 10/10 if the protein was less dry and slightly more tender.

I am glad to have tried this place finally.

And be sure to hit up Portola Coffee across the way!

5 Likes

Mmmmmm

8 Likes

The aguachile is the best and a must order whether for lunch or dinner. If you go back for lunch the corn and ceasar salad are both good if you want to share. Corn is buttery served warm with a nice kick. The ceasar has a mountain of cheese and like the crunchy house made croutons.

I’ve ordered the fish taco many times and it’s always been excellent. Never had a soggy version. That is disappointing and it might have been left at the window for a while because all of the tacos are made to order. That quesadilla looks delicious.

1 Like

You should’ve had them retire the pork belly because every time I’ve had it it has been the most tender and moist pork belly I’ve ever had. Those tacos ruined almost everyone else’s pork belly for me. The only exception was probably a version I had at State Bird Provisions once and perhaps the version at Dragon Beaux in SF. And also the dinner version at Taco Maria obviously haha I really almost can’t order it anywhere else though!

Cofax Hannukah night

Regular Latka, gravlax, ugly drum pastrami

Insane matzah ball soup best I’ve had

10 Likes

Went to Republique Wednesday night for our anniversary. Love the food, but we’ve been a couple times now and just aren’t impressed with the service, which is a shame.

Started with the potato leek beignets and charcuterie board, which were both amazing. Moved on to the scallops with sun chokes and truffle for me and the bone marrow for hubby. The scallops were probably one of my top 3 scallop dishes ever. They brought the black truffle over and shaved it on the dish at the table. Bone marrow,was great, with a nice bite from the capers.

We ordered the pork chop, belly and sausage as our main. Our server was barely paying attention to us to begin with (he seemed overwhelmed) but our main was taking forever to come out, and he was avoiding making eye contact with us, and he didn’t come by and let us know the food was on its way, kitchen was backed up, or anything. After about 25 minutes of waiting after our appetizer dishes had been picked up, he shows up at the table with a plate of butternut squash agnolotti and says “here’s some pasta on the house since your entree is taking so long.” The pasta was delicious (if we had ordered pasta, this was the one we were planned to get). Finally, about 15 minutes after they brought out the pasta, our pork showed up. Truly delicious, but what a wait! The sausage was delicious, and the pork belly was good but could have used another couple minutes in the pan. We were pretty full by then, so we only ate half and brought the other half home (and crisped up the pork belly a bit more the next day).

Skipped dessert because,we were so full. When we went for my birthday, the server had brought out a scoop of sorbet for me, but even though we noted this was a milestone anniversary, our server didn’t even wish us, which was a little disappointing.

Had a nice glass of wine and hubby had a couple cocktails. A nice meal food wise, but the service was a downer, and I really wish they’d turn the music down a notch!

6 Likes

Late lunch at Olsons Scandinavian Deli on Pico, midway between Fairfax and Hauser. Sold out for the day of my top two choices (gravlax; Swedish meatball). Ended up ordering the shrimp skagen. Delicious toasted and buttered brioche bun generously stuffed with creamy, dill inflected shrimp with salty notes from the golden caviar. A large leaf of lettuce separated the filling from the bun, warding off sogginess and adding a little crunch. Served with a small side of pickled cucumbers. I split a side order of beet salad with my dining companion. Tangy and a little sweet (I think there were diced apples
in the salad), with a creamy dressing. The special spiced Jul latte was delicious, and paired well with the Napoleon hat cookie I purchased at the deli counter (the cafe and deli are two separate counters). Bustling but pleasant lunch spot.

6 Likes

Christmas morning is coconut water, V8 juice, more coconut water, and much cursing at all the bagel stores that aren’t open.

1 Like