December 2018 Weekend Rundown

Just had a Tommy’s Burger for the first time in years. I didn’t have high expectations. But it turned out to be slightly more than a check the box kind of thing for me. I liked the thin, smashed, griddle burgers. The chili isn’t complex but old school chili burger kind of chili and of course that melty, deli-style American cheese. Yep, I might want to check that box again one day.

3 Likes

sorry, not LA - but I had friends visiting from LA :sweat_smile: (and the SF board is way less active; we don’t have a weekend thread)

Spruce pancakes - heavy but good. with their nice Vieux Carre

A seafood and pasta fest at La Ciccia but no pictures allowed…

Sushi Yoshizumi OOE extended menu - layered himi kanburi toro with oroshi

Homemade fresh pasta trials

Settled on 2nd thinnest tagliatelle setting and added some Alba white truffles with a butter sauce

I made 2 others - a tagliolini with Kaluga caviar and butter sauce, and a tagliatelle with chanterelles in herb oil and cream sauce.

Kaluga from The Caviar Co.

Royal Feast for a Christmas Sichuanese lunch with friends

9 Likes

I think this should be a Weekend Rundown thread for members no matter where they are on earth. But doubly so when you’re posting weekends such as that. Marvelous!

6 Likes

They have chili cheese tamales? Sorry I missed that, especially since we went on Christmas day… and even though we’d been eating A LOT of tamales during the Christmas holiday.

1 Like

@TheCookie The indeed have chili cheese tamales. My friend tried one the night we went. He said it wasn’t too shabby. To me, it looked like quite the gut buster. But they did garnish with pickle slices to help cut the fat.

1 Like

I have to be the dissenting vote on this one. It’s a quaint idea, but looks about like what you’d get from a restaurant that doesn’t specialize in this kind of food or what you’d get at a diner in Cleveland. The meat looks grainy and the sauce looks dull.

:laughing: The whole menu is a gut buster and my husband looked surprised when I asked to go. We had Xmas eve potluck at one place and Xmas day breakfast somewhere else - both were really fun, but the meals fell short of what I’d envisioned. I was left wanting. There was nothing open so we used it as an excuse to let loose on some outrageous, greasy, fatty, gut busters.

Christmas Dinner in Los Angeles

8 Likes

I like the way you roll, @TheCookie! I leave some parties like that, too…and I always make my husband stop somewhere for some type of treat on the way home.

2 Likes

Stopped by Gjelina Take Away for a great toast with labneh, smoked salmon, pickles (hidden under the salmon), soft boiled egg slices and capers. After having a truly mediocre bagel at Art’s, this was a breath of fresh air.

6 Likes

i’m sure it’s on the menu because koreans like it. but yea not for me.

Sidecar Donuts

Saigon Cinnamon Crunch

5 Likes

I wish they were close to me. I want that.

Not the weekend but earlier this morning.
Oliboli donuts in Tustin

Fried to order, the “Fry bread, apple jam, ricotta” gotta eat it with a fork.

4 Likes

@Hungrydrunk how were the donuts at Oliboli. Was waiting for some feedback before making the trek. I also have to take into account the opportunity cost of going here instead of Sidecar because my bang bang game is very weak.

1 Like

Hopped over to Poquito Mas in Buena Park for a quick lunch with friends. The petito tostada with carne asada was one of my favorite lunches when working in the SFV. Still an easy and tasty lunch at the new location much closer to home.

2 Likes

Breakfast at Brent’s Northridge

3 Likes

i liked their donuts a lot, they have the ones they fry when ordered and the other ones that are newly made.
prices range from $3-$5 so YMMV. IMHO i would say its comparable to Sidecar.
they are way better than Crafted Donuts which i thought were pretty basic. (basic donut with a toppping of some sort)

Thanks I’ve been meaning to go the past few weeks but will definitely go in early January. Oliboli is much closer to my house than Sidecar too. I’ve been creeping the website and love some of their flavor combinations (at least on paper).

let me know what you think. i also had the chocolate with cacao nibs and that had a nice crispy exterior and somewhat light interior for a cake donut… i enjoyed them both and plan on going again.

My son went to Xi’an Famous Foods for the first time and I had to share his photos!

11 Likes