December 2019 Rundown

Ohhh I need to finally get over there!

@TheCookie You really do. I got a dozen of each…pre-ordered the day before and called to give them a warning of when I’d be by to pick up. About $65 total. Our small NYE group loved them.

1 Like

I’ve seen your mention and a couple others and looked at the site and photos today. :kissing_closed_eyes:

I also like their pibil…they’ll provide the pickled onions and you just need your favorite tortillas and salsas.

1 Like

The case looks great. My kind of place.

1 Like

Last meal of the year was at pizzeria mozza with a carinivore pizza and a mushroom pizza along with Nancy’s chopped. Then promptly went to bed at 1030 forgoing our nye plans lol.

7 Likes

Damn, Brent’s. I have to go there tonight and I’m supposed to be off bread, but I don’t think I can do it.

That roast beef melt looks really good. I’m debating whether I should get that over my usual pastrami Reuben or maybe a stuffed cabbage.

I need ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Order both sandwiches and bring home leftovers. I could go for that Rueben right now.

4 Likes

It was pretty good. I like @js76wisco idea.

I’m a poor cook and I can make a good unstuffed/lazy mans cabbage roll where you throw all the ingredients in a pot. To me it’s 95% the same and 80% less work.

3 Likes

That’s what I do. I make Sweet and sour cabbage soup for my fix.

But missing my mom and grandma :frowning:

2 Likes

Corned beef and cabbage!

1 Like

Good idea. Good idea, but I had that for New Year’s, along with Hoppin’ John :slight_smile:

So I guess I have to continue this in the January 2020 Rundown… (this is like a television crossover event.)

1 Like

Order the sandwich without the bread . I’ll never forget my first vegetarian experience. A friend ordered at McDonald’s. I’ll have the burger without the meat . They would make it for him .I thought cool .

1 Like

I was weak. LOL!

1 Like

Love it .

1 Like

Sorry for the late posts for December 2019, my how time flies!:

Chef’s tasting at Bulgarini including wine and wine gelato pairings ($150), more pics in collage below.

Top right collage pic: Enjoyed the French pear rose sorbetto so much I went back a few days later for French pear rose, cardamom pear and macadamia (I preferred to combine this with the pear sorbet to instead of hazelnut at the previous visit)

Oops: pistachio gelato posted twice, :persevere: Speaking of which, not sure why but it tasted flat compared to the gelato and wine pairings. I should probably have added an intense fruity gelato or sorbetto for contrast. [1st collage photo replaced with corrected version]

I’ve had Gua Bao at Huge Tree Pastry (too plain) and Four Sea - San Gabriel (stale and premises too dirty) a few years ago, but I decided to try some other places in WSGV instead.

1st Gua Bao stop was Yi Mei in Monrovia. The Taiwanese pork belly burger was better than HTB and FS in looks and taste. I also ordered their purple Fan Tuan roll with sliced beef and extra pickles, not bad. Half peanut and soy milk bowl - nice they offer this combination, but it tasted processed.

2nd Gua Bao stop at Taipei Bistro recommended by @ipsedixit a while back (no bang-bang, not on the same day).

This iteration of the Taiwanese pork “burger” (aka “pork belly bun with peanut powder”) was better in that the Bao bread wasn’t as spongy/soggy as Yi Mei’s, pork belly slice larger and the peanut sugar was generously sprinkled with a flourish (@$3.95, TP’s version was 55 cents more than YM’s but worth it).

I also ate scallion pancake (so-so) and since it was a weekday, I got the $6.40 lunch special of Taiwanese deep fried red pork with rice to go (very good home cooked taste, reheated well). Taipei Bistro advertises no msg so my adrenals were happy. Nice peeps, I’ll be returning to this mom and pop run shop again in the future, thanks @ipsedixit for mentioning this place.

Next Gua Bao stop to take place in 2020 will be Yung Ho in SG (their version was sold out by 3pm so I’ll have to revisit earlier in the day).

10 Likes

Hi @foodshutterbug,

Great report and pics again! :blush: Thanks for the info. (Note, I think you accidentally posted duplicate pics above (3rd and 4th look the same).

That purple Fan Tuan roll… does that mean they used a healthy Mixed Grain Rice for it? Or was it purple due to some other reason (pickles)?

We also went to Taipei Bistro because of @ipsedixit last year or so. Note they also have Brown Rice if you want. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Chowseeker1999 :blush:

Yi Mei uses a purple sticky jasmine rice (aka “forbidden rice”) it is not dyed. Huge Tree Pastry is well known for their version of purple rice roll and Yi Mei only started offering theirs maybe 2 years ago.

1 Like

Thanks @foodshutterbug! :slight_smile: I’m always on the lookout for a healthier alternative if it’s just as tasty or moreso. :wink: I’ll have to try out Yi Mei the next time I visit the area. Thanks.

1 Like

Nothing like the aunties make it but it is indeed the perfect snack

4 Likes