December 2019 Rundown

Oh, that’s too bad. Our version was delish (purple mocha as the dumpling). Wonder why they changed it. What didn’t you like about it?

Glad the rest of the eats were good. :slight_smile:

Believe it or not, no filter !

Drove by we both said holy wow and I made a uturn

2 Likes

@beefnoguy Thanks for the heads up! I’ve always considered a stop by when I make a trip up. Now I’ll have extra reason to reach out ahead of time.

I love that place! So beautiful!!

1 Like

A wonderful Japanese breakfast at Gatsu Gatsu popup with @JLee and Todd Chang

These Portuguese egg tarts were delicious!

13 Likes

I’ll be heading down to L.A. this week and will make local contributions to the December and January rundowns while in town, but I wanted to spotlight a Sacramento/Bay Area chef, writer (SF Chronicle, Saveur, among others), and food blogger (Eat Gorda Eat) focused on Puerto Rican cuisine and regional specialties: Illyana Maisonet. Tonight I went to her event Puerto Rican Christmas Dinner. From the dishes served, to their cultural/geographic history, to family influence and life biography, this meal was much more than the food served (which in and of itself would have made for a delicious night out). I’m so glad two seats opened up so I could take my mom to this special feast.

Pastelillos de Jueyes. Regional specialty filled with crab. Cali version prepared with Dungeness crab. (Tucked into before I thought to take pics, sorry)

Granito de Humaco. Local specialty that was brought back from her recent trip to Puerto Rico. Topped with raclette.

Pork was the star of the mains. (After 9 months of pescatarian life, this was a perfectly porcine reason to reintroduce meat :grin:)

Pernil (loved the crunchy roasted bits), arroz con gandules (seasoned Koda farms rice with peas and green olives with pork), and pasteles (made with green banana and plantain, and more pork)

Dessert was a cake based on sweet roll dough with local Arkansas black apples, walnuts, dulce de leche, and vanilla ice cream.

Lastly, we toasted with coquito. I don’t drink, so she was kind enough to whip up a non-alcoholic version. The bottle pictured is the rum used, with the bottle repurposed to serve the holiday concoction.

Each guest got a parting gift.

Truly a special evening. If any fellow FTC folks make it up this way when Illyanna is hosting another event, I highly recommend reserving a seat.

18 Likes

Sadly i didn’t think any of the flavors really worked together and unfortunately many of the individual elements did not taste good to me.

The veloutte was kind of stiff and set and didnt have a rich creamy texture or flavor meaty savory or otherwise, so it tasted like a flavorless dry gravy.

The “crisped” chicken tasted like chicken they had boiled or cooked porridge in that had all it’s fat removed and then they pulled the meat out and crisped it on a flat top it was stringy and sadly cold. Sometimes I do the same thing with my leftover boiled chicken I use to make stock or chicken porridge

The kabocha on top was not soft and actually quite chewy. I don’t know if it was purposeful but it was hard to eat as long cut ribbons.

The dill and pomegranate didn’t add anything to the dish because there were really no strong flavors to counterbalance.

The Japanese yam dumpling was probably the best part they were colorful soft and tender but didn’t really get any yam flavor. Carrots were also tasty.

So it just didn’t really make sense and kind of baffled me as dish. It was sold to be their take on chicken and dumplings, which is something that I love and don’t see offered often in LA, maybe a dish that sounds better on paper :thinking:.

But with that being said super excited to go back and try more of their porridges and pickled/salad items.

What other slices have you tried? Would love some recs for some good ones.

Made it to sergio underground today.

Had the mango marinero ceviche, Camarones langostino, and the Pescado Zarandeado with soy carmelized onions.

All amazing and hits! Even the rice was super flavorful. Only thing was the langoustine sauce was a bit salty great for sucking on shrimp heads but a little salty on its own.

One thing to note was they weren’t making fresh tortillas today which I had read that they do. And sadly they ran out of michelada mix.

Will be back to try more delicious items.

11 Likes

Harajuku Taproom, Culver City.

This is the best eggplant I’ve had in ages. The Taproom has had awful food for the longest time, but we stopped in for a beer last night and I guess they got a new chef. The menu and pricing have been adjusted and everything we ordered was really good (chicken thigh, mushrooms, ribs, California roll, something, something). No more chicken liver or hearts. I’ll have to gently push for those to be brought back :frowning:

Not really “drive-worthy”, but a great upgrade to a neighborhood izakaya. As always, the beer was excellent, and I very rarely drink beer.

5 Likes

beautiful.

1 Like

Friday - Pasjoli
Even better than visit 1. None of like the endive salad (salade d’endives
black walnut, grapefruit, comté) - had a very funky flavor. But everything else was amazing particularly a brandade appetizer that was hard to stop dipping in on, the onion tart,

turbot

carré de porc

trout amandine, with smoked roe

Saturday - APL Restaurant
Not a fan. Went for a birthday party. Only the duck fat fries are great. Majordomo does APL ribs so much better than APL.

Sunday Lunch - Lotus and Light

Big thanks to @Ns1
Really nice place and good pho.

Sunday Dinner - Meizho Dongpo
So crowded with the windy, cold night keeping the patio closed.
Food is just so good there. 10 years ago I would never have believed a great Chinese restaurant would do well in Westfield but there it is.
Dan Dan Mein was delicious, (non-)Peking duck is not smoky but still quite good.

FYI: Tried to go to Qi Steam Table for lunch but they are closed Sundays.

15 Likes

Last weekend, I had some Thai coconut cakes from Mae Ting outside of LAX-C supermarket in Chinatown. They were really, really good. They were hot and fresh from the pan so I had to wait a minute for them to cool down a little. Nice semi liquidy coconut cream inside and crisp shell.

10 Likes

Very nice pic!

1 Like

I love Mae Tings!! One of my favorite sweet treats

2 Likes

Love the sausage there, too

I think she’s vegan/vegetarian but yes I concur the sausage is good, as well as the papaya salad/sticky rice/grilled meats.

1 Like

Wait, Mae Ting’s has papaya salad? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that there. Exciting!

A few other meals.

106 Seafood Underground was a great meal!

Gjusta is always solid

The Italian

Moules Frites

9 Likes

Little Shanghai (Rowland Heights)

Food court goodness in a plaza that also has Mian, Newport Seafood, and Happy Family. Also there is a stinky tofu stall right next to the restroom, which is almost always out of soap. If it smells funky it’s likely the tofu. Bring your own hand sanitizer.

It’s a Shanghainese joint, so your selections should lean towards that. Unlike the bigger Shanghainese places in other parts of the SGV, this place is mostly noodles, baos, and dumplings. There are dishes that go well with rice, but most of the menu leans towards the above.

Rice Cakes are essential Shanghainese! Generally there are 2 versions: one with soy sauce/napa cabbage/mushrooms or this version with Shepherds Purse which is listed as “Chinese spanish” on the menu. Shepherds Purse is also used in Shanghainese style wontons and baozi’s. (which they also sell by bag FYI)

Green Onion Pancake, these were crisp and good but slightly lacking in green onion for my tastes. I don’t mind a more aggressive flavor though

A plate of greens and a side of Lionshead Meatball. I really enjoyed this meatball! I’ll have to look thru the menu again or ask the owner/owners daughter if this can be ordered as a main. Lionshead Meatball need some rice!

Pork Liver Noodles (Dry)
The iron is balanced by the savory and slight sweet sauce. I would probably enjoy this more over some steamed rice. They also have Yellow Fish Noodles, yes that same yellow fish that is fried at a typical Shanghainese place.

Shen Jien Bao’s, got a shot of the insides and the underboob. These were quite good, not overly doughy with very juicy meatball. There were 2 pieces stuck to each so they broke a little. Other than that disapppintment I would happily eat these over Shau May/Kang Kang. Give them 10-15 minutes to cook.

Next time I’ll grab the yellow fish noodles and wonton.

5 Likes