December 2019 Rundown

Gasolina Cafe in Woodland Hills. La Espanola sandwich with patatas bravas. Patatas were fantastic. Sandwich was pretty good. Portion sizes are European, QPR not the greatest. Also enjoyed a latte and churros but forgot to take a pic. Friend got the Spanish grilled cheese but didn’t like it. Thought I’d be hungry again now but somehow I’m still full. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I always smile when I see Dutton Ranch on a label. 35 years ago I ran a retreat center in Sonoma County. As we had just installed beautiful wood stoves in all our cabins we purchased stumpage, trees to cut for firewood. Dutton wanted to clear a beautiful woodlot to plant grapes so he sold us the wood. I was quite ambivalent about it: we needed the wood; cutting firewood is actually enjoyable, but the lot was stunning. At least I know now that the grapes that came from there are making good wine.

7 Likes

High tech giant’s food truck assortment

Shuho Tokubetsu Junmai Omachi Muroka (Yamagata prefecture) - super tasty even with mediocre izakaya fare

Encountering this high end 2016 Bordeaux at a local Costco :laughing:

Attended the soft opening of a Korean run omakase restaurant, brought an Alsace Grand Cru Riesling 2011, Taka Tokubetsu Junmai and purchased the Miyosakae Tenmi Junmai Daiginjo (which was super splendid by itself: try this sake at Hayato next time!)

Served only during dinner. I have found the best offering at Taishoken San Mateo. It’s their Tokyo style aburasoba. A touch less hearty and fewer ingredients than their Mazemen, but once you inject their vinegar inside and toss it up, it’s wonderful

Curry and coconut milk crab pot at Le Soleil (SF)

A kind soul at the table behind us poured us his reserve to share

My favorite beef cheung fun at Cafe Salina, sadly they will be no more by the time any of you come visit :cry:

Two spectacular small bites and a mini preview at one Michelin Star Maum in Palo Alto. If you have been to Benu you will love Maum. Uni wagyu tartare, Maine freshwater eel with fermented tomato jam on toasted brioche.

Last picture is Ramen Saryo Hachi’s chicken breast chashu shoyu toriffle ramen

8 Likes

What an interesting story. When you write a book I’ll read it

3 Likes

Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn

I don’t get out here much in this part of town so I knew if I got the chance to be in the area I would be going no matter what.

Classic Pepperoni Pizza. Reheated in the oven this will come to you piping hot. I suggest letting this cool down and air out slightly for a minute or two. Pepperoni was nice and slightly crisp forming little cups with a nicely balanced with the tomato sauce. Crust was thin and crisp, best of all no big doughy breadstick-like outer crust. This was pretty damn good, I would order this again and again.

Pesto Slice. This lean more towards savory side of taste, not as bright as you would think. The cheese is nice in this. Same good crust as above. This was good but personally prefer the Pepperoni.

Sicilian. Not overly doughy, this had a nice crunch. The sauce is sweet and tart. I like.

I love me some Hot Pockets as a kid/teen so these grownup versions (and authentic Italian/Italian-American versions) are nice.

Yeah if you haven’t been you should really go get a slice or a whole pie of that pepperoni. I also notice Sergio is the only one making the pies. The cute Italian Brooklyn woman also adds to the experience (wife?). Yup Ventura Blvd is a pain in the ass I would suggest the streets behind for parking.

Forgot the underboob shots of the pizza but there was slight char but not overly if that’s what you like

4 Likes

the only slight knock against them is their crust not having much flavor

1 Like

:heart_eyes: Where did you get this!? Is this available for purchase somewhere up there?

True Sake, ordered during Sake Day, picked up when it arrived in the store. The Junmai Ginjo Hattan Nishiki and Junmai Daiginjo were also available then. The shop does not stock it normally, so a special order would be required to get them, pending availability by the distributor. My bottle’s bottling date was 8/2018…so it is old stock, but luckily it tasted delicious.

1 Like

Sounds authentic

Anthony also has a few spots right behind the store off the alley.

Yeah, Brooklyn woman is his wife Marina.

1 Like

Agree. Underdeveloped crust and unlike poster above I require a puffier crust. Not only is it delicious but it’s proof of sufficient fermentation and ahem… proofing

1 Like

I love a good patty melt, and those rings look absolutely excellent. I keep meaning to get to Pann’s.

1 Like

Pizza wagon they were so nice they threw in an extra cheese slice since it was my first time.

Loved the Sicilian and the cheese, I thought the eggplant parm was quite flavorless and the spinach roll was dry and not flavorful as previously described (maybe they were out too long). Definitely going back for more plain slices.

Porridge and puffs chicken and mushroom porridge is amazing. So was the tea salad (not pictured)with pickled vege and fermented tea leaves.
The Japanese potato dumpling with chicken, a play on chicken and dumplings was a total miss.

9 Likes

The Bellwether in Studio City, http://thebellwetherla.com/dinner/, has the best patty melt I have ever tasted plus the best fries I have had in LA.

4 Likes

Agree 100%. I thought maybe it was just me, but that’s my least favorite slice.

1 Like

both the ribs and the chilly verde are excellent at Cold Spring Tavern… honestly… the coziest place in the world on a cold day with the fireplace crackling away.

bonus wine country pic, deep on Foxen Canyon

8 Likes

That vineyard shot is amazing.

1 Like

Oh, that’s too bad. Our version was delish (purple mocha as the dumpling). Wonder why they changed it. What didn’t you like about it?

Glad the rest of the eats were good. :slight_smile:

Believe it or not, no filter !

Drove by we both said holy wow and I made a uturn

2 Likes

@beefnoguy Thanks for the heads up! I’ve always considered a stop by when I make a trip up. Now I’ll have extra reason to reach out ahead of time.