December 2021 Rundown

I don’t like it when restaurants take liberty to just name their dishes whatever they want when the name has actual meaning in a food context.

1 Like

Crazy how that is literally around the block from the OG Bludso’s and I never even knew that many food trucks are in that area. I ate at Tacos El Poblano right in the middle of the food truck madness of Compton and there were countless food vendors and even people walking by with desserts and drinks. BTW, don’t waste your time at Tacos El Poblano.

1 Like

Man, I miss OG Bludso’s. I used to be able to time it perfectly, call in an order, by the time I drove over from the Westside it was ready for pickup.

Feel like there’s a fair amount of areas like this especially in south LA that are known mainly to locals. One of the people in our group had been there at night and said it’s definitely worth exploring. I’m planning return trips soon after the New Year. Once in the morning for more goat and other trucks. Then a night time trip for the different trucks.

Thanks!

4 Likes

No exciting photos. Mariscos Jalisco. When you order to go, they don’t assemble it for you.

Shrimp Tacos

Aguachile

My Dog!

24 Likes

I need these! :yum:

2 Likes

Thanks to @TheCookie mentioning Bea’s Bakery in another thread , I was triggered…

Gr8pimpin’s Cheat Day Belly Blowout Carb Bender is here. LOL!!

Onion rye, coconut bar, black & white, Russian tea biscuits (cakes).

I love Bea’s. Been a long time!

15 Likes

LOL Yum!

It was a fluke how we discovered Bea’s Chocolate Cake. We went to a bday party where everyone ate the fancy patisserie cake and ignored the Bea’s cake. So we took that baby home. Score! So good! :blush:

4 Likes

Classic old school cake. Yum!!

I’ve never had a coconut bar that tasted like it had been made an hour earlier like the one I had this morning.

Holy hell, the cake was super super light and fluffy. And the chocolate hadn’t completely soaked in yet. Wow!

Aside from the great bread, the onion pocket rolls are soooooo good.

1 Like

Ok I may have included the last few days of of November since I didn’t post it at the time…

Langer’s Deli the plain and the #19 depending on what you fancy

Zozo’s Bakery Persian dessert place in Simi Valley - Bill Addison seems to be a huge fan; very personal service and a lot of care goes into these sweets

Green Acres horrible photo but the tri tip sandwiches are so tasty

Quartersheets and House of Gluten can’t believe I only tried this pizza a couple months ago but this definitely vaulted to the top of my Detroit pizza list and is probably in my personal top 3; desserts are acidic and savory and not too sweet
This Jewel City white pizza with the sambal goreng seasoning from Bungkus Bagus was :fire::fire::fire:

P.S. their brick n mortar just opened up in Echo Park this weekend

Dduk mandoo gook (rice cake dumpling soup) from Mountain was my choice of bang bang post Kinn; @J_L great minds think alike as I completely wanted to do Sun Nong Dan afterward but alas the OG location wasn’t open at the time

Go Go Bird just recently opened up in the Citizen Public Market in Culver City - Chef Brandon Kida (of Hinoki and the Bird) heads this, and the fried chicken is fantastic. They add some Szechuan chili oil, and the batter is very light on its feet. The complimentary spicy honey is a must get accompaniment.

Since I was already at the Citizen Public Market, how could I not do a bang bang with Bang Bang Noodles, which has had a pop up the last couple of weeks

Taste of Tehran Kebobs

Some “Unicorn” cookies being baked by Chef Mei Lin at Match Stoneware

Akagai (among other things) at Hayato :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

24 Likes

The pastrami in those Langer’s sandwiches is sliced a lot thicker than usual. I wonder if they’re having staffing issues?

1 Like

Great report @NYCtoLA!

2 Likes

the bestest :heart: :blush: :heart:

no soggy bottoms

coconut + strawberry + lime

19 Likes

That rainbow confection from Bungkus Bagus looks terrfiic.

2 Likes

Little Arabia, Orange County.

We originally wanted to try the mandi at Monasaba in Stanton thanks to @EattheWorldLA’s review but they are closed on Tuesday, so we headed to House of Mandi in Anaheim instead.

The lamb and chicken mandi were very good and nicely seasoned and they came with yogurt sauce and sahawiq. The only disappointing thing was the lamb soup which did not taste lamb-y at all and lacked salt.

For dessert, we headed down the street to Knafeh Cafe. I adore knafeh and thought the one here was so great. I got a slice of the knafeh na’ameh which is the soft one that comes without the crispy kataifi bits. Love that chewy cheese.

22 Likes

Tomato egg. Add a little ketchup.

A little Momofuku chilli crunch makes it perfect

10 Likes

A bang bang with Needle’s chili oil would be perfect.

5 Likes

Finding myself in downtown tomorrow to pick up at La Flor de Yucatán.
Anything else within a few miles radius that would be fun to pick up while I’m nearby?
Was thinking Holbox, but it may be tough with rain and parking.

6 Likes

@attran99 Birria de chivo from El Parian? Cash only though, and parking might be hard.

3 Likes

Parking right outside Mercado Paloma is usually only busy on the weekends. Plus there’s usually quite a bit of parking right outside of parking lot on the street.

Some suggestions.

1.Heard superfine is better again.

1. Og pasta sisters

2. Broken mouth great hawaiian food.

3. Torta Movil south of 10 not as good as torta df but still some of best tortas in town.

4. Cinco puntos (might be a little far) or carnitas el Momo (depending on their truck location) for carnitas.

7 Likes

langer’s curbside pickup

9 Likes