Del Taco Bell style tacos - brand suggestions for purchase?

HA!! Hope you get it soon! I just went to check it out for my friend that “fled” the state and has friends send her the sauce packets and it’s already back ordered!!

And if there was ever doubt that Abueltas made crunchy tacos… Dona Angela’s just dropped her Tacos Dorados (Taquitos!) video!

I can’t wait to stream it for mom and see her reaction to this technique (Mom uses toothpicks)… GENIUS!

5 Likes

I love that she uses the manzano chile for the salsa. One of my favorites

2 Likes

IIRC she’s in Michoacan and the manzano is widely used there. I love it too.

2 Likes

usually i take out the seeds though because they always seem so hard. ill have to try leaving them in

Thanks again for the rec, exactly what I was looking for.

3 Likes

I love that!!! Damn, I might have to make a run for the border… or to Del!

I’m 6 tacos in for the day.

2 Likes

Hurrah! I picked up a pack myself and going to make them this week! I got green taco sauce! :wink:

I got mine at Food 4 Less. GAWD. I hate our Food 4 Less… Something always happens there that is super shady and just infuriating from the customer’s perspective. I hate to see such bad service and general IDGAF attitude from management to their staff and customers… I can go on and on… but I won’t because the important thing is that I got my Los Pericos taco shells…

I found the Los Pericos taco shells not where the other taco shells are, but over by then end cap with the tortillas. They were up high and kinda hidden… but the box is bright yellow and you just can’t miss it.

Thankfully I only go to that Food 4 Less a few times a year… I didn’t go in just for Taco Shells… we also needed Ice Cream Salt which we have been having a hard time finding as of late and I also was happy to see they have BIG cans of Ducal. Ducal… how many meals have you saved… I love thee…

–Dommy!

4 Likes

What food 4 less is it? Venice and Western?

I wish I could find that recipe that sheila posted in that chowhound thread for the old enchirito.

Nope. Jefferson and Western… I haven’t been to the one at Venice and Western… They fixed it up recently… But this is closer to home and where i roam. I most often go to La Bodega Market on Western near Adams for my week to week Mexican needs. Also usually pick up a roasty chicken from Lupitas on Adams every other week as well… I’m super lucky as the Tiendita near the intersection at our house not only gets fresh bollios from Pacific French Bakery every morning, but also Tortillas from Anapola and is next door to the live kill place where we get our chicken.

I swear I’m becoming my abuela…

7 Likes

Well I got the taco shells (and the Ducal) … and it was Tuesday!!

Aside from being super tasty the texture of ducal is super sticky. It’s not heavy or pasty. It just the perfect anchor to an over stuffed taco… And we do stuff them quite a bit…

As you can see the Los Pericos shells are super thin. Just like their tostadas. But just like the tostadas… they don’t sog up even under the hefty stuffing and are wonderfully crisp, but don’t split in two… Snuggy like a taco… but crispy and lots of crema…

–Dommy!

7 Likes

I’m getting pretty good at this.

5 Likes

Pretty soon you’ll be good enough to work at Taco Bell!!!

:wink:

Those look quite tasty!!

I love these style of tacos, not as much as the real deal but they are tasty af.

I remember on Sunday nights sometimes my mom would take me to Sizzler and it was always a treat. Multiple cheese toasts, spaghetti, and these style of tacos. Taco Bell I almost always had as a kid at the Cerritos Mall.

When I grew older I saw the light and went strictly Team Del! I wish I could get bottles of El Scorcho. And over the years I can’t believe I never stop by the OG Del Taco on the way to Vegas it was always In N Out.

I made some the other day but used buffalo instead of beef (the low fat content makes you feel less gross and you can eat more because of that) and cherry tomatoes halved were what I used that was different. The Taco Bell sauce is fine but I prefer El Scorcho

1 Like

It didn’t really do it for me the first time, nowadays I stop by when I leave for LV and when I come back.

So damn satisfying.

1 Like

I ate WAYYYYY too many Potato Skin Tacos from the Sizzler salad bar growing up… God. Loved that stuff…

Nice job on the tacos @Ns1! Standee tacos are a sign of excellence! I got chicken breasts this weekend so Tinga Crunchy Tacos are on the menu this week! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. It was hard for them to pivot at this time with their model which was too heavy salad bar related. Norms beat them at their own game. Ah well!

Back on topic… Tinga Tacos were made! If you ever get mad about having to open a whole can of Chipotles for one or two that is called for to make a one dish or sauce… make it. Then a few days later poach 2 chicken breasts (With Salt, a few whole peppercorns, smashed garlic and a bay leaf) and make Tinga!

I slice about 1/2 onion into half moons. Sautee them until barely soft with salt. Add two or three chopped chipotle peppers from the can. Then add Cumin, Mexican Oregano and tomato paste (or even better Tomato Knorr seasoning). Cook it all up for a little bit and then add about 1 cup of the poaching liquid. Shred the chicken while the sauce comes up to a good simmer and then add in the chicken. When just about to serve, glug on some red wine vinegar and mix (That’s the tinga!) Then give it about 10 minutes to co-mingle while you prep your other taco fillings… Refried Beans (Ducal!), cotija cheese, tomatoes, shredded lettuce and Mexican cream. Awesome tacos!

8 Likes