DeSano Pizza Bakery - Pop-Up with Italian Pizzaiolo Attilio Bachetti

Yes, they have 2 salads (we haven’t tried yet, but they looked fresh / solid from our neighbor’s table last time). :slight_smile:

And they have a selection of Gelato and Cannoli.

YGPM

South End makes a great crust influenced by the Mozza crust(matt molina’s influence?) and as good chunks of juicy sausage as i remember having…they make a great white pie too…and an awesome wine collection!

3 Likes

One time I ordered a diet coke at South End and the waiter went to a grocery store to get me one. No waiter was in the restaurant for 10 minutes. But it worked out nicely for me.

2 Likes

Now that is serving the customer. I ate here a couple of times when they first opened. I think I’m due for a revisit.

1 Like

The ramen joint at that place is pretty damn awful. Smog City drew me there but I wish I would have went for pizza.

These pics and reports are a great reminder that the LA pizza scene is a lot better and more advanced than people sometimes give it credit.

6 Likes

Fill-in-the-blank on the word pizza. Think back 10 years ago to now. SoCal has come a long way from being an also-ran that long-established food cities made fun of, to the city that those detractors are now in denial over.

I don’t think we’re tops, but our strengths favorably compare to any other city, and many of our weaknesses get remediated one at a time. It’s truly an exciting time to be food-nutty in SoCal.

4 Likes

you got nice dough balls i hope

edit: on the chest…

like boobs…

dammit… joke failed

2 Likes

You should see my undercarriage shots.

:fearful:

3 Likes

What’s better than a rose on a piano? :joy:

1 Like

DeSano at SteelCraft in Long Beach was pretty good but not as great as the original. Menu is limited compared to the original.

What’s better than a rose on a piano?

Tulips??

You said it… .:wink:

1 Like

Update 2:

After having tried Pizzana, we wanted to reaffirm how one of our favorites, DeSano Napoletana Pizza Bakery, tasted. :wink:

They had 2 of their wood-burning ovens working this evening.

San Gennaro Pizza (San Marzano Tomato Sauce, Sausage, Peppadews, Garlic, Caramelized Onions, Scamorza, Mozzarella di Bufala, Pecorino Romano):

Thanks for the reminder from @PorkyBelly, we ordered the San Gennaro. :slight_smile: The San Gennaro was actually one of the first flavors we tried from DeSano on our first visit, but we’ve been trying other flavors since then and hadn’t revisited it in a long time.

This is just a great flavor combination: I loved the savory (but not overly salty) porkiness from the Sausage and the Garlic and Caramelized Onions. The Peppadew Peppers added a nice balance, and then you had the creaminess from the Buffalo Mozzarella. :slight_smile:

And that crust and Pizza dough flavor! :slight_smile: After having just tried Pizzana, and trying DeSano, it’s immediately clear the flavor difference. It just makes DeSano’s pies sing. :slight_smile:

Calzone Napoletana - Vesuvio (Soppressata, Prosciutto, Pepperoni, Garlic, Scamorza, Mozzarella di Bufala, Pecorino Romano):

I’ve avoided Calzones ever since I tried one at California Pizza Kitchen in college (not joking). :sweat_smile: I was so unimpressed and scarred from eating that “stuffed / folded baked thing” that I thought that all Calzones were similar and just had no interest.

But since @ipsedixit was waxing poetic about DeSano’s Calzones, we decided to give this a try (after all, DeSano’s Pizzas were fantastic, so how bad could their Calzones be, right?). :wink:

The half-moon shaped wood-fired Calzone Napoletano appears. Taking a bite…

@ipsedixit why were you holding out on us??!!! :cry: :stuck_out_tongue: :smile:

Imagine an incredible porcine aroma, almost a deep meaty funk, followed by drool-worthy, crave-inducing meatiness, with a luscious trio of melted Cheese and you have the Vesuvio!

This was FANTASTIC! :heart:

@PorkyBelly @J_L @Ns1 @bulavinaka @Bookwich @TheCookie @lapizzamaven and all fellow FTC’ers who love melted cheesy, baked things, don’t miss out on this. :blush:

8th(?) visit:

Capricciosa Pizza (San Marzano Tomato Sauce, Mushrooms, Artichokes, Prosciutto, Garlic, Scamorza, Mozzarella di Bufala, Pecorino Romano):

This was pretty tasty, but probably our least favorite flavor so far: I loved the Mushrooms and Artichokes combination, and the Mozzarella di Bufala and crust were as great as ever, but I think it was the Prosciutto Cotto: It just didn’t seem to balance as well with the rest of the ingredients as their other pies.

Calzone Napoletana - Gigiotto (Broccoli Rabe, Sausage, Scamorza, Mozzarella di Bufala, Pecorino Romano):

After having the amazing Vesuvio Calzone, we had to try another flavor this time around. :slight_smile:

The Gigiotto still had that incredible toasty, light crunchy exterior and wonderful balance of melted cheesy goodness inside, but we didn’t like this as much as the Vesuvio. The Vesuvio is hard to beat with its wave of triple porky goodness. Here, the Gigiotto has Sausage (great), but the Broccoli Rabe they used today was extremely bitter.

And I like bitter greens like Arugula, or even Chinese Bitter Melon (which my friends from Taipei claimed I would never like!) :stuck_out_tongue: but the Broccoli Rabe in this was surprisingly bitter and threw off the balance in the Calzone. It might’ve been a bad batch (we’ve had plenty of Broccoli Rabe that wasn’t anywhere near this bitter), so if it was lessened, I think the Gigiotto would be excellent.

DeSano Pizza (San Marzano Tomato Sauce, Sausage, Pepperoni, Garlic, Scamorza, Mozzarella di Bufala, Pecorino Romano):

Just a great pie for fans of both Pepperoni and Sausage. :slight_smile: There was a really nice meatiness here, and the pie crust and dough were still consistently great, thin, pliant, but with enough body and a nice light crunch on the edge.

Pizza Carnevale (Special) (“8 Points Pizza” filled with Ricotta Cheese, Margherita Pie with Sausage in the Center):

They are still serving the Carnevale from the Pop-Up with Master Pizzaiolo, Attilio Bachetti from Pizzeria Da Attilio in Naples, Italy. We were glad to see it was kept on the menu.

Thankfully, it’s still delicious. I love the Housemade Sausage with the Margherita base. :slight_smile:

But it’s the 8 Point Star-shaped crust stuffed with Ricotta Cheese that makes it standout. Still as delicious as always and I like the Marinara Sauce they give on the side for dipping. So good! :blush:

DeSano Pizza Bakery
4959 Santa Monica Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90029
Tel: (323) 913-7000

7 Likes

I’m glad you liked it. Some people find the filling a bit sparse, but I prefer my calzones balanced and not overstuffed.

Funny, but I was first introduced to Desano’s calzones in their Nashville location where the line for Hattie B’s was just too long.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the kitchen didn’t sauté the broccoli rabe long enough in EVOO before mounting in the calzone dough.

1 Like

Wish this place was open late night, damnnnnn

Thanks again @ipsedixit. :slight_smile: BTW, have you tried their 4 cheese Calzone? Just wondering how that compares with the Vesuvio.

Well, you know how I feel about cheese. If I could have a cheeseless Vesuvio, I would.

1 Like