Dessert places with drinks

HB currently has seascapes, gaviotas, and viva patricias. I’m sure their Mara du Bois are right around the corner. The true strawberry season is getting really close.

@bulavinaka I hear that. I bet showing the berries a little love would help them out a bit. Different ballgame in a prep. But FM buyer beware for the next few weeks. Save the dough and get the $12 boxes until HB is fully worthy of their very high prices. At least that’s what this cheapskate is doing.

1 Like

Everyone seems to have switched to Albion or another who’s name escapes me. I really love the aroma and flavor of the seascape.

Albion . . . smh. Those are for exporting to sadder climes than the strawberry paradise that we live in.

On another note, I one used a couple of pints of seascapes from Harry’s to make a tequila por mi amante infusion. I let the berries air dry a bit to concentrate their flavor. That was . . . worth it. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Maybe I didn’t look close enough at HB since they are too rich for me I usually buy at McGrath who no longer has Seascapes… had to ‘settle’ for the gaviotas

I know seascapes have lost ground - proportionally - to other sweeter varieties. Harry’s has become so much more popular and the bulk of the more recent fans kinda wrinkle their noses at the seascapes once they sample it to the other varieties.

Especially if it is warm enough to sit outside, Craft in Century City would be great. Except right after work on a weeknight, I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem getting a place to sit on the patio. The inside bar area, which is quite comfortable if you can nab a table, can fill up, but mostly on weeknights after work, not on the weekends. On weekends, Craft is mostly about people having dinner in the dining room so it’s pretty easy to nab something at the inside bar.

Back in the days when I ate desserts, I thought Craft’s were excellent. Service is always stellar, even at the bar.

1 Like

i dunno…i ponied up for the 23 dollar strawberries the other day. other
than bitching about the price, i thought they were pretty good, and steps
better than any other i had had recently, and accept they will get steps better
as the season progresses.

that said, 23 dollars. yikes. what was i thinking?
“that’s a fucking great shake, but it ain’t worth no five dollars.”

2 Likes

A smoothie at the Venice Erhwon was about $15 when I went to their opening. Your good.

You really need to wait until Harry’s Berries are in season to make the plunge. During the summer, those strawberries are like candy.

I’m not baller enough to buy $23 candy either

2 Likes

@Ns1 I think I only allow myself this treat twice each summer. I am not baller enough to do it full time.

ive bought them in summer before. i just wanted to buy 23 dollar strawberries.
consider it performance art.

oh, and i am the opposite of baller. im so uncool and cheap ive swung right thru cool and baller to being uncool and cheap again.

4 Likes

You may not be a baller, but I think you’re pretty adept at ballin’.

1 Like

It’s always a tough call this time of year.
Harry’s Berries is always better than the other growers. It’s a question of being worth double the cost.
My last 3 pack was purchased on April 1 and the vendor himself admitted that the strawbs were far from their peak. Glad things are getting better fast.
I will take my own advice and wait until May until they are worth it, to.me at least.

you were probably referencing ns1, but as far as me goes – and aren’t you all
on the edge of your seats waiting for another hunk of my bullshit – i
think you meant “bailin.”
which IS totally true. i am fucking awesome at quitting, but only
things that are good for me or hard for me or important to me.

3 Likes

@Ns1 is the Kenny Rogers baller.

You’ve got to know when to hold ‘em
Know when to fold ‘em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you’re sittin’ at the table
There’ll be time enough for countin’
When the dealin’s done
Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin’
Is knowin’ what to throw away
And knowin’ what to keep

And you, my fine sir:

“I’m not a comedian. And I’m not sick. The world is sick, and I’m the doctor. I’m a surgeon with a scalpel for false values.”

An original. With your own drum. :pray:

2 Likes

NYT article on Harry’s Berries.

5 Likes

Ah! Just posted this is the food media section.
Excellent read. Super excited for the season to peak.

Yes that is probably a more appropriate place for that article. I rarely see Harry’s Berries now that we’re in the OC but I usually pony up the $23. I think ~5 years ago the 3 pack used to be $18-$19. Inflation.

1 Like

Commerson

Hilarious berry moment… I :heart: you guys. But don’t ever give me shit about going off-topic (not that you would. but just sayin’ :kissing_heart:).

I didn’t see this sooner @samtron608. But if you or others are ever again looking for a drink, dessert or meal in this 'hood, without the fuss of the more popular spots further up La Brea…

The signature cocktails are tasty, but made with well-liquor with gussied-up brand names. There is a full bar for your preferred brands.

There is plenty of dining space inside and out.

Meyer Lemon Eton Mess

Eton Mess seems to be the dessert du jour in L.A. But you can du jour me anytime with the deliciousness of an oozing lemon curd stuffed tunnel of meringue on top of whipped crème fraiche, dotted with moist morsels of pound cake, cherry compote and sprinkled with almond crumbles. :yum:

Caesar Salad w/Bacon from Niman Ranch (where the pigs only have one bad day :slight_smile:)

Organic romaine w/garlicky caesar dressing, cubes of bacon and crispy disks of grana padano :yum:.

Grilled 36 Day Dry Aged Creekstone Farms Ribeye w/Carmelized Onions, Duck Fat Potatoes and Sauce Béarnaise

Flavorful, tender, juicy, perfectly crispy fat on the outside. Duck fat potatoes were very good and not too duck fatty. Shhh… I hate tarragon, but the béarnaise seemed properly emulsified.

Charred Wild Caught Spanish Octopus w/Creamy Mascarpone Polenta & Puttanesca

Incredibly tender and creamy polenta w/just the right amount of briney, tomato-y puttanesca. If there is any complaint: It might almost be too tender for those that want a little chew. But I loved it.

There was a French couple next to us chowing down on A Parisian Diversion - Baguette stuffed w/escargot, garlic butter & french fries. Next time!

My husband went straight for the beef. I had a hard time choosing, because the servers were really knowledgeable and described the dishes wonderfully. Great service.

$138 + tip (incl. bottled water & 3 cocktails). If you skip things like the $34. ribeye it is a relatively reasonable dining experience.

6 Likes