Detroit Pizza

Just heard Peter Reinhart talking about this on Good Food. Does anyone know of a place serving this in Los Angeles?

1 Like

I listened to this podcast recently as well.
Apollonia’s Pizza

Take out a loan first

2 Likes

Been to Apollonia’s. Just once, though. They do Detroit-style pizza??

Is this Sicilian or Detroit style? These two variations seem very similar. I haven’t been to Emmy in Brooklyn but looked at pictures

Detroit-style should have a boatload of cheese that melts and oozes down into the black pan so you end up with the crust deep-frying in butterfat until it’s crisp.

Apollonia’s reportedly lighter.

Purgatory’s looks legit.

https://lacanvas.com/the-search-for-the-best-detroit-style-pizza-in-los-angeles/

2 Likes

Looks legit.

4 Likes

oh damn look at those crispy edges

1 Like

Until you you hear “Their meat is farm-raised and many ingredients are organic” :laughing:

1 Like

Complete disclosure - Peter is a personal friend. He emailed me this back in 2017, Where to Get Thick Crust Pizza in Los Angeles - Eater LA, saying that #9 and #10 were the Detroit style. #10, Padrino’s, is closed and is now a fair to middling hot chicken place. I tried Padrino’s once and it was just okay. Have not tried Yolk and Flour. Sicilian is pretty different from Detroit as @robert says. Detroit style has a pretty fascinating back story; here is Kenji’s explanation, Detroit-Style Pan Pizza Recipe.
Peter recently published his book on pan pizza, https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pan-Pizza-Sicilian-Focaccia-ebook/dp/B07GMXFC8F/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2P9U720Q3E2TE&keywords=peter+reinhart+perfect+pan+pizza&qid=1571189167&sprefix=peter+reinhart%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-1, which is really good (admittedly he is my friend, but this is true). I have made Detroit pizza several times; it is not health food but it is really great. Oddly enough I was raised in Michigan and I had never heard of it until 2017. If you do decide to make it I have not been able to locate brick cheese here in LA. The best substitute I have found is the butterkaese at Murray’s in Ralphs.
Here is a pic of my first effort; the second was better but I didn’t take a picture.

6 Likes

Same. Detroit style pizza as I understand is an eastern Michigan thing didn’t really exist in western Michigan where I’m from.

In the interview, Peter mentioned Munster as a good substitute for brick.

2 Likes

Muenster and cheddar if I recall correctly…?

1 Like

I mail-ordered Wisconsin Brick cheese from Widmer’s. Mmm, cold weather’s here. I should order some more.

1 Like

I am confused by a few things:

First, how do we have @secretaznman and @secretasianman on the same board???

Second, there is a NJ-style pizza??? Which is similar to Sicilian and Detroit?

4 Likes

@secretaznman, shall we invite @Secret_Asian_Man to the conversation?

7 Likes

There is a New Jersey style, known as a “tomato pie”, but it is a thin crust. It is distinguished by the cheese going under the sauce according to Tony Gemignani - although the pictures in the attached link show the cheese on top. It is not a pan pizza like the Sicilian and the Detroit.

1 Like

He does in his book as well, or a combination of mozzarella and cheddar, or fontina and provolone. I really like the butterkaese though as it has a high butterfat content and is very smooth with a hint of funk.

Chicago pan pizza (Pequod’s, Connie’s) is the only style of pizza I’ve heard of that’s similar to the butterfat-fried-crust aspect of Detroit pizza.

1 Like

Steel Pan at 4th St Market in Santa Ana does Detroit style individual pizzas. Very good especially with some of the butter on the side to dunk the crust.

4 Likes