Detroit Pizza

Little Caesar’s I think was founded by someone from Detroit. They use Muenster on their pizza.

Grimaldi’s and Juliana’s in Brooklyn do this. Dollop the sauce on the cheese.

1 Like

You are correct! I did not know that. Funny how two of the three biggest pizza chains in America hail from the Detroit area. Domino’s was founded by the father and uncle of a high school buddy of mine after they bought DomiNiks, a small excellent pizza parlor in Ann Arbor, from the father of another friend - and I still don’t know where to get good Detroit pizza in LA except at my house.

1 Like

even if he has no ties to NE ohio - that’s the weird part. the chinatown is so small the mayor is polish.

2 Likes

WTF??? There’s a third?! Oof.

1 Like

we hide in plain sight.

1 Like

There’s a Leo’s Original Detroit Square Pan Pizza that is showing up with a West LA address (Mar Vista) on the different food delivery sites (and on the Googles). Looks like the original is in Long Beach? Cursory research suggests they may be doing a cloud kitchen bit to expand their footprint.

Anybody with any intel?

Someone on Reddit says “It’s being used as a ghost kitchen for pizza concepts right now that only sell on delivery apps. That’s why we are seeing multiple pizza spots on the apps with the same address.” He may be correct.

They do the same thing on Grubhub at some location in the valley.

At this address
15826 Ventura Blvd #110 Studio City.

“Restaurants” at this location:

Lorenzo’s of New York
Chubby Pie
Froman’s Chicago Deep Dish
Leo’s Original Detroit Square Pizza

6 Likes

Nice sleuthing @Gr8pimpin!

2 Likes

Interesting, though Grubhub listed it Studio City, I checked the address and it’s actually Encino. It’s in the location that used to be Stacked Eatery.

Also operating out of that location is:

Quick Store
Delivering bottled sodas, waters, and coffees, Pringles and other snack chips and a few baked goods

Sunny Day Creamery
4 pints of ice cream on the menu and a few sodas

Pizza Alla Vodka
More bizarre-looking pizza

Gabriellas New York City Pizza
Looks more like what you’d find in Manhattan… Kansas

Krispy Krunchy Chicken
If I could pick up there, better than driving to NoHo Mobile/Circle K. LOL!

Munch Box
Sounds pretty risqué. But food wise, an example of what they serve is something called a “half-baked munch box” for $17.99 that contains “2 sweet street large chocolate chunk cookies, 1 chewy marshmallow rice crispy [sic] bar, Choice of one soda, choice of one candy.”

This is also happening at 11288 Ventura Blvd Ste E Studio City at the Pizzaoki location (next to Daichan —rather eat there ANY day) with 2 other pizza places operating in there.

1 Like

My recent addiction is the garlic baby squid

2 Likes

Daichan is the best underrated restaurant anywhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apollonia’s square isn’t really Detroit style. It’s actually denser and he’s doing his own thing with cheese and sauce. That OC place might really be doing Detroit but nobody else in Los Angeles is.

3 Likes

Can’t say I recommend Town for this (suggested as a possibility in the LA Canvas article at the top) - or for anything else, really. At least as far as slices are concerned. Maybe a whole pie would be better.

I went by the other night after a visit to Hermosillo, and they had two ‘Detroit style’ pizzas sitting out for slice purchases. One was basically plain ($5) and one had pepperoni, ricotta, and ‘18 year aged balsamic’ ($6). Obviously I opted for the fancy one, because who could resist quality balsamic and all of that for just $1?! Well, shoulda saved my buck.

The pizza wasn’t re-heated well, the flavors were muted, and the balsamic was apparently confined entirely to one sad pepperoni cup and added an incongruous one-note sweetness to that single bite. It was pretty small, the textures were way off, and it was all-in-all forgettable, a shame at that price. Bad pix of the mediocre pizza:

1 Like

not sure why in the world “Detroit” style is something desirable in LA other than for the relocated natives!

the tomato pie, as I know it, is cheesless

Because …

2 Likes

of no interest to me…I don’t know what the hell brick cheese is but it sounds to me like the insane luv of St Louis style pizza among St L natives…cant imagine anyone else wanting to eat pizza with cheese "product"on it…sorry
for some people, a lot of cheese, pepperoni salt is fantastic
so it goes

The Widmer’s Wisconsin Brick Cheese I use is a strong, natural, washed-rind cheese that was inspired by Limburger.

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/a/1/a14647289000e64cbb5dafb8dee89641fcfdb0ab.jpg

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/a/2/a24f6e2b78e4b9ebeaf79707f7b5e2397c8ab606.jpg

If this doesn’t look appetizing, it’s definitely not for you.

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/c/8/c8b9721b31dcfeac215e39c1c5c26be7359c556f.jpg

4 Likes

sexy

Robert do you have Peter’s book yet, “Perfect Pan Pizza”? He has a crust technique that knocks it out of the park. Beautiful pie! Great frico!!