Did anyone else go to the open call for master chef today?

it was at loews hollywood hotel in the hollywood/highland complex.

i don’t think i made the callback. but the asian take on jambalaya was pretty good if i say so myself; instead of andouille sausage, i used gojuchang and fish sauce as part of the flavor base (along with the traditional holy trinity of celery onion & pepper).

2 Likes

Wow… Look at you!

What meat did you use?

just chicken

1 Like

they told us it was up to us to bring everything we needed to plate the dish, etc. no reheating, etc. and no clue on how long to wait, so seafood didn’t seem like a good idea.

Unfortunately, a person’s cooking ability and the food they prepare has very little to do with whether or not you make the cut for a call back.

It’s mostly geared towards people who want to be on TV and personalities who have the potential to create drama and bring in viewers.

I really cannot stomach the US franchise of this show.

1 Like

yeah, a friend advised me to emphasize my snark, etc. and i couldn’t bring myself to do so.,

2 Likes

Smart… the fish sauce was a good alternative.

I hope you make the callback, @secretasianman!

@Novelli, I’m not a fan of the U.S. version of MasterChef either. I loved the UK version, but grew tired of the formulaic structure, so I haven’t watched it for a couple of years, but John Torode and Gregg Wallace are charming in comparison with the U.S. judges. Another plus is that it’s made by the BBC, so the show isn’t littered with product placement. I was fond of Tim Anderson, the winner of the 2011 UK series, who went to university at Occidental College and had an affinity for Japanese cuisine.

1 Like

Agreed I used to be a hot AD on reality shows until I told a showrunner I didn’t want to do anything demeaning to the cast. He looked at me as if I were insane. It was back to commercials.

3 Likes

thanks! i’m not holding my breath.

1 Like