Dim Sum 2017

Ladies and Gents.

We don’t appear to have an easy reference thread for something so important and profound.

Going in few minutes and can’t decide where. Wanted to see what FTC thinks is really good currently but digging not working so:

Let’s say you’ve eating Dim Sum a lot in SGV and started at Ocean Star and NBC long time ago, then went to Elite obsessively, then to Sea Harbor for last 2 years. Enjoyed Lunasia and the dumpling places like Dean Sin and Mama Lu’s and love the Pie House. King Hua twice as well recently.

What’s fresh and hot on the block?

eat it hot

1 Like

not new but maybe new to you:

china red
king hua

1 Like

aah yes added King Hua. checking china red.

edit: thanks chief… i think that’s the move considering we’re heading to the Arboretum

888 has had a bit of a resurgence lately; you’re now liable to have to wait in line for 15-30 min and the majority of the diners are Chinese again. For a little while there, wait times were nonexistent and the clientele was decidedly whiter.

Sea Harbour is still my favorite, if you can get in line 15-20 min before they open.

Okay, and let’s also say you’re not eating in SGV. Those recommendations would be highly appreciated also.

And it’s not useful to say it’s better to go to SGV, and it’s the only place to go, and if you want “real” Chinese, etc., etc.

Looking forward to this. We NEED a LA food crawl and dim sum is always at the top of any travel list. The only place we’ve been in LA/SGV was Elite and still remember with great joy the duck tongues.

1 Like

NBC also seems to have a resurgence. I’ve heard of long waits and the price point is approaching Lunasia and King Hua, which I find to be crazy.

You know, I’ve never made it to NBC. They left Chinatown before I got around to trying it, and I’ve since found other favorites to rotate in the 626.

I’ll open this up to anyone: convince me to try NBC, and tell me what I should get there. Thanks!

The twin Happy Harbor in Rowland Heights and J Zhou in Tustin may have muscled their way into the top tier.

40 minutes and counting outside of China Red. No complaints though, just hongray

We just drove 20 miles for SGV you know why? There’s no acceptable alternative unless going well south

3 Likes

Just stick to Sea Harbour.

Don’t waste the time, energy nor calories.

4 Likes

Top tier of what?

Bad, overwrought and overpriced dim sum?

Grand Harbor is much better than Sea Harbour now, Sea Harbour has been on a bit of a downhill the last few years IMO.

1 Like

Been the main move for two years, I agree. Really digging China red though , just ordered.
I think they take reservations

Well, cost is another matter. That’s why you don’t actually see me there much.

I hate you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Off-topic, but give me an idea on price. I find expensive dim sum just so not right. Perhaps because I eat it at 830/900AM.

Okay not fresh, not hot on the block, and not dim sum but have you had…

Taiwanese Breakfast? Huge Tree Pastry on Atlantic by Times Square is one of my favorite places. I have always called it Yi Mei when it was further south on Atlantic. There are a few others around the 626, but I can’t vouch for them as it has been years. I been going to Huge Tree/Yi Mei all my life.

How about Hong Kong Breakfast?

Or the under appreciated Siam Sunset?

Some of the best food I had at dim sum can be at the places that are not the hottest on the block.

I’ll give you an example…

Focus Plaza, San Gabriel. The very top floor which at the time I believe it was New Capital. Known for being cheap, and pretty traditional. Nothing too fancy.
Around this time I had a new baby cousin.
Can’t remember if it was my Grandma or Mom who ordered it, or if it was on the carts or off the menu item. I wanna say more towards the latter.
In Chinese, it translates as Pig Feet (in) Vinegar. A dish that is meant to eat after birth for the mother or can be enjoyed celebratory by family members.

To this day, that is one of the best things I eaten in memory.

All at some dim sum place that never gets mentioned, and a dish that is probably relatively unknown outside of Chinese culture.

A lot of these dim sum places, the cooks/chefs are transitional, and are subject to change. And there can be good food at places that are not called Elite, Sea Harbour, or Lunasia.

How exactly did that pigs foot in vinegar taste? Sweet and fatty but very balanced from the ginger and vinegar.

5 Likes