Dim Sum Disaster at 888 Seafood

So apparently 888 Seafood has a “problem with their dishwasher” and probably shouldn’t be open today, but they are because Chinese New Year! Can’t miss out on that holiday $$$!

Now don’t judge me, I only go here because my parents like the carts, but we should have known something was up when it took 45 minutes to seat us when a good third of the tables were vacant and we were the 5th number in line!

We finally get seated and get 5 dishes from the nearby carts only to realize we have no plates, napkins, chopsticks, teacups or tea! We tried to request place settings, but we were told that there were delays because of a problem with the dishwasher. 10 minutes later we get 3 chopsticks (yes, 3 single chopsticks) and paper napkins, and another 10 minutes pass before we get the remaining 3 chopsticks, plates and teacups. At least we can start eating, right? Well a few minutes later we finally get our tea, but I start realizing food isn’t coming out of the kitchen now, either! Staff are avoiding eye contact, and something just doesn’t seem right.

After noticing another table using their paper napkins to wipe-off the “clean” plates they were just given at their table, I tell my parents I’m not eating anything else here and explain that I’m concerned the problem with the dishwasher is really a problem with the hot water due to the paper napkins instead of linens, tables being cleared without new tablecloths put on, the fact the place is almost half-empty now yet new parties aren’t being seated, etc.

They agree, and we settled the bill for the cheapest dim sum meal we’ve ever had and left.

Outside in the parking lot, 888 Seafood kitchen staff are wheeling out garbage bins and carts filled with their dishes and just leaving them outside in the open air!

Now, I don’t know if this is “overflow” or what, but the metal steamer containers in the filthy garbage bins is just gross, especially if there is some self-admitted problem with the sanitizing dishwasher.

I also learned today that the Health Dept. doesn’t take any calls on the weekends, which is pretty useless considering most dining happens on the weekends :unamused:

Don’t think I’ll ever be going back to this place again! Hopefully we don’t get sick! I can’t believe they’d stay open and put their customers at risk like this just because it’s CNY.

7 Likes

Supposedly things are back to normal.

Funny though you didn’t mean it. And gross.

1 Like

What do you mean by this, and what is your source?

Just back from our family dinner there. Three banquets and three private parties. All was normal. Our advance party arrived at 4pm and didn’t know there was an issue until we told her.

2 Likes

I guess I’m not quite seeing anything that “confirms” that they have hot water and are sanitizing things correctly again, but whatever, glad you enjoyed your meal, and I hope no one gets sick.

EDIT: Looks like they had some issues last night, as well, judging by the two yelp reviews from 1/24/2020…

Well they served several hundred diners and service was actually speedy.

2 Likes

Good to hear!

To be fair, garbage bins are considered food safe if they have never been used for garbage before, those may be their designated dirty dish storage bins but I can’t say for certain. I’ve seen restaurants use trashbins to brine large pieces of meat since they have wheels and can be rolled into a walk in cooler but those have never been (at least I hope) used for garbage and should be cleaned after every use.

1 Like

and restaurant garbage is just food anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

The bins were filthy, as you can clearly see in the pictures. NOT SANITARY :face_vomiting: