Dim Sum Staff From Enlighten Bistro 168 May Have Just Landed

A 5 star review of Bistro 1968 by Kristie H.:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/bistro-1968-san-gabriel?hrid=1Ho1eSlI4i3bxN09I7iRfg&utm_source=ashare&ref=yelp-android

3 Likes

“The crispy golden lobster roll is a play on almond shrimp, golden brown on the outside with a melt-in-your-mouth texture inside and served with a side of mayonnaise. Dim sum prices here are on the higher side, ranging from $4.88 to up $8.88, but the quality, execution, and flavors are unparalleled, especially during a time when many dim sum restaurants just re-steam previously frozen dishes to keep costs low.”

2 Likes

I’ll go with the ftc review good to solid but not destination worth.

3 Likes

From another reviewer we trust:

not good with the basics or classics. Specialty items can be good depending what you’re ordering. Of those specials They liked the spicy mince pork dumpling, sticky rice wrap , bean curd skin wrap, seaweed shrimp paste.

“good for unique interpretations of dim sum dishes. They’re attracting a different kind of Asian diner, The kind that enjoys seeing gold flakes on food“

6 Likes

Who is kristie h?

Lol gold flakes……

Kristie Hang, influencer-journalist of above Eater article

2 Likes

Didn’t know she wrote for eater thanks!

Food Expert :melting_face:

2 Likes

I went there for an hour and watched Argentina beat Netherlands. Over that hour they never placed my food order. So I walked out, offering to pay for the tea. They waved it off and handed me their business card. I declined to take it. Does this experience speak to the quality of the food? My guess is yes. If a restaurant isn’t well managed enough to take a food order over the course of an hour I doubt they have their shit together in the kitchen.

So where to get better dimsum in LA, if not here :sweat_smile: @moonboy403 and everyone :pray:

Sea Harbour, Elite…I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple more.

4 Likes

Yes, those two are rather dependable for the most part in classics and graded on a SGV curve.

1 Like

Thank you @attran99 @moonboy403 :pray: I’ll gather my fake family and check them out. It’s rather difficult to eat dimsum for one so I hardly venture :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Is elite still good I haven’t been in years?

2 Likes

I like Sea Harbour more than Elite. I haven’t been to Elite in a while, too.

6 Likes

Went there last month. It’s still solid in SGV…way better execution than what I had at Bistro 1968.

6 Likes

+1 for Sea Harbour.

Their quality is now on par with sister restaurant Chef Tony, a terrific option if you’re in Arcadia. It’s a smaller restaurant so there may be longer wait times than SH.

5 Likes

I still need to make my way out there to try em! Their steamed items look encouraging on Yelp.

6 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve visited Chef Tony in Arcadia, but IMHO the dim sum at Bistro 1968 (even in soft open mode) was better than what I had at Chef Tony Arcadia… Sea Harbour is still my true north for dim sum in SoCal.

6 Likes

woof that’s rough. the service is pretty sketch right now. we didn’t get a bunch of stuff we ordered (they later said they had run out). Also very few people on staff know any English, which makes it more difficult.