DineLA - Picks and Food

That is so NOT the right way to enjoy beautiful meat like that…

1 Like

I would love to eat 18oz of A5 Wagyu lol

1 Like

Depends on what you want to eat.

Who was the CH poster who used to actually do the math to figure out which restaurants were offering a good value? Is he/she here on FTC?

Im going to go to l’assitte. Their normal steak frites are $28, the DineLA deal is $29 and comes with appetizer and dessert (pretty simple starters and dessert but still) or you can get the duck cassoulet (normally $32)

So that sounds like a good deal to me!

1 Like

Connie and Teds might be good. And Hanjip I like, I’ve been there a few times.

Maybe it’s the heat and languor that’s making me uninterested all the menus. Not in the mood for fried or meaty dishes. Even sushi rolls sound too heavy, lol. All I want to eat lately is kale salad and gazpacho, with lots of sparkling lemonade.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve been meaning to try that since they opened on L.A. But after working downtown for three years, I avoid it whenever possible. Haven’t been to Chinatown since I was a kid.

called in an order to go at Soppressata for a sandwich and a salad, both on the menu for $10 or something like that. They told me on the phone that b/c it’s dine LA week, they’ll be doing 2 items for $15. First time going there, and I have to say I was pretty happy!

2 Likes

their sandwiches are really good.

Which sandwich shop did you go to?

Did I mention Connie & Ted’s includes a cocktail? The “Born in East L.A.” was the bomb. If I remember correctly, they were pretty cool if you wanted a different cocktail. But then again, we had an awesome waiter… and we are kinda’ charming.

5 Likes

Went tonight. $39.99 includes a drink (one alcohol option, as you mention; there’s a tiny virgin drink also available). Calamari and little gem salad were both excellent. Partner had the haddock; I had the lobster roll. The haddock was a generous size (IMHO) and perfectly cooked. Very mild fish, but well seasoned. I’ve had the lobster roll once b/f (I think) and recall preferring The Lobsta Truck. I still prefer The Lobsta Truck after my roll tonight; while C&T’s roll is fine (and perhaps a bit bigger than that from The Lobsta Truck), I think the Truck has more tender and sweeter meat. C&T’s bread is significantly better, though.

Both come w/ one side (lobster roll sides are limited to fries or cole slaw).

We both had the blackberry panna cotta. It is VERY strongly blackberry flavored, and a bit too tart for my taste (and I like tart!). Also, I would’ve preferred a smoother texture.

Still, I felt the meal overall was a very fine value for $39.99 pp. Service has always been excellent whenever I’ve gone.

But, good grief, it’s VERY loud in there on a Fri evening!

2 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover

Sounds like you had a satisfactory time at Connie & Ted’s… not great. That sucks about the noise. We sat on the patio on a weeknight, noise level not so bad.

I like Lobsta Truck too, and agree C&T has better bread. When we went for Dine/la in January we had the Roll, 1/2 doz assorted Oysters (Washington ones were great) and Clam Chowder. I also have to get an order of Fried Clams when I’m there. They have the closet version of the New England Big Belly Clam in L.A. Our waiter demanded we have the Blondie :stuck_out_tongue:… Yay!!!

I think where C&T shine is in their interpretation of New England style seafood dishes.

Yep… It was a tasty good value.

Okay, I’ve changed my mind. I like Craft Century City more at night than at lunch. We went for dinner when they first opened. It was quite the scene. Not tonight. The atmosphere was laid back and quiet… for an L.A. restaurant anyway.

(Dark lighting for pictures)

Amuse-bouche was Gazpacho - Puréed, slightly creamy, lightly chilled w/a crumble of croutons on top. A perfect bite.

Bread service included a very good multigrain w/yellow raisins, baked by The Larder, served w/soft butter sprinkled w/a touch of sea salt.

Avocado Salad w/little bursts of marinated, sweet cherry tomatoes on avocado purée w/sprigs of micro-basil & chips w/black sesame seeds.
And a plate of Smokey Summer Sausage w/Mostarda.

Refreshing Yellow Tail w/Melon & Cucumber Relish.

Family Style:

Mugifuji Pork w/Heirloom Bean Sofritto. There was some fat on this… but oh boy was it tender, and the beans in the Sofritto were cooked perfectly w/a little Moroccan spice.

Fried Quail w/Grits - Like a perfectly delicate & refined fried chicken, also with a slight touch of cinnamon or allspice. Nice touch was including a little earthy dark meat. Grits were what I expected… not southern.

Can an after dinner sweet also be called an amuse-bouche? We were served a couple of tasty, sugar cube sized dark chocolate brownies (no picture).

Seasonal Fruits! These Profiteroles w/Peach Melba Ice Cream and a schmear of strawberry jam inside were a perfect treat.

Olive Oil Cake is one of my favorites.

And for the finale… Blueberry Muffins to take home for breakfast.

The service was very good. Each table has a server, a waiter, wine server (possibly steward) and busboy. The servers knew as much about each dish as the waiter.

Like @Bookwich, on occasion I enjoy weekday lunch at the bar or patio. But this was unexpected and much different than the business lunch crowd.

Very enjoyable evening.

13 Likes

deleted

Looks and sounds delicious. :slight_smile:

Actually, we very much enjoyed yourselves. We wanted a bit of a date night, and we spent just a touch over $100.00 total for some very high quality food (even if it a few things weren’t quite to my taste) + a few alcoholic drinks. And the grilled entree was really fantastic, as were the apps. That’s a win, in my book.

But, yes, I think sitting outside or at the bar might be a good idea. :wink: And none of their New England stuff (save the lobster roll, which is probably one of their weaker dishes) isn’t on the DineLA menu!

1 Like

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Thanks for the report on Connie & Ted’s. The noise level: Boo. Bummer to hear about that. We usually go during brunch, but the last dinner we went there (about 6 months ago) was fine. Not too loud, not quiet, maybe it was because it was a Friday? Or DineLA craziness?

I agree, I’ve always found their fish preps to be pretty solid (whatever fresh fish they have that day).

The Lobster Roll: Interesting. I think Connie & Ted’s is one of the few places in town that gives you the more prized Lobster Tail meat and Claw meat. Lobster Truck was Claw Only IIRC? I just had Lobster Truck 3 days ago (interesting coincidence, I didn’t even seek them out but we saw them parked at one spot, serving lunch). We both felt it was still very good, but I thought from that experience C&T’s was better. Time to go back to C&T for a visit, LOL. :wink:

Ah, maybe that explains our diff in opinion. I’m all about the bass claw. :slight_smile: Would be interested in hearing your opinion on the difference.

Hard to say what the craziness was from. Server implied that this was not unusual, so perhaps it was a Friday thing.

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice report and pics. Thanks! :slight_smile:

The Mugifuji Pork sounds delicious! :slight_smile: And the Fried Quail as well.

Glad to hear Craft is still doing great (and their service has kept up).

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Yes, I really like C&T Lobster Roll. But agree with @paranoidgarliclover that Lobsta Truck makes a tasty one too. Coincidence, I too just happened upon them when they were parked outside Trader Joes on La Brea.

I will have to try C&T grilled offerings one time. Being raised in New England, I really miss the food and have only ordered those homey items.

Yes, the Pork and Quail dishes at Craft were delicious. I think you’d also appreciate their use of the tiny baby tomatoes & micro greens. There was a peppery one (watercress maybe) on the pork and just a perfect hint of basil on top of the avocado.

They seemed to be doing well and happy to have a good dinner crowd. I get the feeling they do better business at lunch now.

Thanks!

1 Like