DineLA - Picks and Food

I typically try to avoid restaurants that do dineLA during dineLA weeks, because while some deals do look appealing the restaurants are overextended and mobbed by the diners looking for deals.

5 Likes

Always a fan of the deal at Fogo De Chao.

3 Likes

It’s been gimped several times since DLA started…

Yes, there is an element of that. It’s how you choose to look at it though. It promotes & supports L.A. restaurants. There is also a charitable component. But to us, it’s fun and participatory. 1) Introduces restaurants we may become regulars 2) Provides an opportunity to dine someplace normally not in the budget. Maybe the 2nd part falls into the category of “diners looking for a deal.” But we do behave, refrain from scratching ourselves and spitting on the floor.

Our strategy is to go early eve on a weeknight. It’s not crowded and the waitstaff are friendly. I like prix-fixe sometimes. No decisions to make. We have cocktail, apps, entree and dessert without having to tally or worry If each course compliments the next.

Can you tell I like dine/L.A.?

4 Likes

The fogo de chao deal used to be so great. Now not so much.

I always have a meat coma lol after that meal

Is that what’s bad about their dine/L.A. meal? Or the offerings aren’t as good as previously?

A Food Affair
Birch
Chinois
Connie & Ted
Gusto
Jar
Petrossian
Preux & Proper
Spice Affair

Not to discount other restaurants. Some are favorites and some we don’t want to try during dine/L.A.

Happy dining L.A.!

1 Like

If one is going to do DineLA, Petrossian seems like the kind of place to do it. The place’s main strength is its quality of ingredients which you get at a discount.

Other than that I feel like I’ve typically had weird meals that were not representative of restaurants generally. I used to use the list just to identify new restaurants when I was first starting out though. So I don’t begrudge the enterprise. One memorable example of the opposite of worse cooking for me was at Rays and Stark Bar.

2 Likes

I always just end up eating too much quality is always pretty good for the price there

1 Like

Charcoal, EP + LP, and Hanjip seem to be excellent values.

1 Like

Agreed. Curious about a Petrossian dine/L.A. They fly more under the radar than Providence. At Providence I would feel like a dine/L.A. sore thumb. At Petrossian I don’t care, because we already dine there.

You pretty much describe our dine/L.A. approach. It’s good for trying new things or (occasionally) patronize old favorites.

I’m slow. Did you like Rays & Stark Bar?

Yeah, this was years ago, but I went to Ray’s and Stark Bar with two friends. I got the DineLA menu, and one friend also got it, but one friend did not get it.

Interestingly, the meals of both my, and my friend who got the DineLA menu were far better than the meal of my friend who didn’t get the DineLA menu.

Another time I did DineLA at the now defunct Cache Bistro with a friend who said it was much better than when he ate there normally.

On the other hand, I’ve had some DineLA meals that seemed to present the food as worse than usual at typical spots.

I suppose you have to take it for what it is, and not necessarily as a precise representation of the restaurant long-term.

It is interesting that Providence is doing DineLA. Seems like places at that level must offer something really odd because I think the highest priced tier is like $50 for dinner right? Maybe it’s higher now?

1 Like

Yah, Dine LA for Dinner changed a few seasons ago. Nowadays, restaurants can set their own price.

Providence this year is $100 / person, and the menu has +$40 A5 Wagyu Supplement, and a +$20 Brie with Black Truffle Supplement.

I think Alexander Steakhouse last year had a $100+ Dine LA menu as well. Not really a major “bargain” at that point.

1 Like

Interesting.

The Providence deal is weird. It is basically like $20 off their $120 Providence Tasting Menu, except you can pick Wagyu for free if you order the normal Providence Tasting menu, whereas if you pick it on your DineLA menu it would be $140, which would be $20 MORE than their usual prices…

“Unfortunately, this campaign is over.”

Not finding Papilles

wow… the Little Door is doing it too?.. and I have a soft spot for Taix… oh wow. Lucques too

1 Like

Perhaps the wagyu is truffle coated, as it was when I went during the summer. That could maybe explain the 40 dollar surcharge. In the summer, the wagyu was also a surcharge…

Yeah, their online menu may just not be accurate.