Dinner in Torrance

I have been doing a fair amount of solo exploration in Torrance over the past couple of years. Three friends want to join me for a meal at the end of the month. I have some ideas, but would appreciate some discussion/feedback from the board. The only consideration is that one of my friends is a pescatarian. Other than that, they love to eat! Here are some places I am milling out in my head:

• Kagura (been a few times myself: love it)
  • Kantaro (tried to go once by myself; was told I needed reservation; still intrigued)
  • Mitsua Food Court (I stop in here quite a bit lately; always happy making and I usually go the Hannosuke route)
  • Musha (been to the one in SaMo years ago; enjoyed it quite a bit at the time)
  • Nozomi (one time at a table and was kind of miserable; one time at the bar and the omakase made me crazy happy)
  • Torihei (went once, and really wished I had a gaggle of people to share dishes with)

Thanks in advance…

1 Like

Kagura and Torihei are great but lean heavily toward pork/chicken.

Nozomi is very pescatarian but it is sushi! Kinda subdued environment?

Mitsuwa food court is good - maybe too casual? What about alcohol?

Never been to Kantaro.

Our regular fall back for Japanese is I-naba - jack of all trades and very good at most things.

Sanuki no Sato gets little love here, but they’re pretty good for what they are and they have all the bases covered, including tatami rooms (call to find out reservation policy). If they weren’t in the South Bay, they’d be the best option in most other areas.

5 Likes

First, I am going to recommend Izakaya Hachi.

For a lower price point than Hachi: Wadatsumi

For more intimate atmosphere: Shoya

For casual: Doya Doya or Otafuku

For ramen: Jidaiya

4 Likes

I love Sanuki no Sato. I find both their udon and soba to be quite delicious.

I do feel like Oumi Sasaya has better udon and I-naba/Ichimi-an to have better soba.

But Sanuki no Sato is a great spot if you want to get your fill of both of those items along with other classic japanese food.

2 Likes

Koshiji for yakitori
Chitose and Miura for sushi
Manpuku for BBQ
But Inaba and Kagura are probably my favorite Japanese restaurants in the South Bay.

2 Likes

I live in Torrance so thanks for pointing out the good stuff here. Check out I-Naba, which has a terrific affordable tempura omakase. I love Torihei and Ichimiann. Otafuku is a short drive away in Gardena and worth checking out. Also Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong, which is as good as their K-Town location. Love Jidaiya, especially their Tokyo ramen, which is lighter than other ramen.

2 Likes

Head a bit north, if you don’t mind, to Gardena, and go to Painter’s Tape.

The stewed rice is like hipster congee (in a good way), and the charred broccoli comes with sake infused garlic … yes, sake infused garlic. 'Nuff said.

Their nabeyaki udon is tasty.

3 Likes

I’ve bookmarked Izakaya Hachi a while back, should I make it back to the area next time for dinner. The things that look appealing to me are the pork shabu shabu, fresh oysters and some random things from pictures of their special boards. What are your personal favorites items there / must try for first timer / signatures?

1 Like

Torihei is a good option. I-naba is one of my favorites. Both are good for a large group.
Another option in the area: Miyabi Uni

A virtual meal…

1. Make sure to check the daily specials–they are written on the wall. Also ask your server!

2. Cold Beer. Kanpai!

3. Gobo Chip (Fried Burdock Root, Seasoned with Ao Nori and Salt)

4. Ginnan (Ginkgo Nuts, Roasted & Salted)

5. Finish beer, order sake. If you are having trouble choosing, your server will be happy to help.

6. Select from their available oysters

7. Sashimi Plate

8. Beef Tongue

9. Nankotsu Karaage (Fried Chicken Cartilage)

10. Kani Cream Croquette (Creamy Crab Croquette)

11. Grilled Pork Cheek

12. This.

12.5) Raw Beef Liver

1. Finish sake bottle (or two) and order shochu on the rocks. Mugi (Barley) for the more timid, imo (potato) for the more adventurous/experienced. During the summer, choose between on the rocks, mizuwari (mixed with water), or sodawari (mixed with soda)

2. Motsu Nabe

3. Battera Sushi (Mackerel)

4. Add noodles or rice to your nabe stock after you have eaten all of the meat

5. Still hungry? Uni Ikura Don

6. Dashimaki Tamago

7. Hand the check to @beefnoguy. Gochiso sama deshita!

17 Likes

You had me at

2 Likes

Wow.

1 Like

Gimme Dem pork cheeks…

1 Like

That looks dam amazing…

For some reason I’ve been feeling like some motsunabe… How was it?

1 Like

Sorry if I misled anyone (@blimpbinge), these photos were swiped from Yelp to create a “virtual meal”.
I have not been to Hachi in a year or so…

The motsu nabe at Hachi is good, but most people head to Yamaya for motsu nabe.

Re: Yamaya
They just got a facelift and menu update. Their manager Masa is excellent.
Highlights: mentaiko, washugyu (crossbreed of the Japanese Black Wagyu and American Black Angus, raised in Oregon), wagyu, grilled horumon, motsu nabe.

2 Likes

Thx for the tip!

[quote=“Starchtrade, post:16, topic:6067”]
“virtual meal”.
[/quote]:+1::fist_right:

Very curious as to what raw beef liver tastes like, anyone tried?

I had most of the dishes shown over the few times I have been to Izakaya Hachi. The Battera is better than anything I ever had. The grilled beef tongue is a must have as well.

1 Like