Dinner recommendation for girlfriend's birthday

sorry but i disagree. if you eat italian food their menu is very pasta friendly and familiar. i have always
found that non vegans can feel very comfortable and eat well. menu below.

http://www.crossroadskitchen.com/sites/default/files/Fall%20MENU%202016.pdf

The food, even the pasta dishes, lack oomph, or umami if you want to be technical about it.

Being a vegan restaruant, it’s hard to make savory appetizing dishes. For example, the “almond ricotta” on both of our pizzas and pasta were fine, except it added nothing to the depth and dimension of the food. The pizza tasted flat, as if I was eating crackers dipped in cocktail sauce (and I’m not even a “real” cheese lover). The lasagna was just an epic fail if you went in with the expectation that it was going to be like normal lasagna. It wasn’t.

If you’re vegan, you’re ok with it. Because you’re vegan. If you’re not, you feel shafted.

i am not vegan. but i have dined there on many occasions and the food is quite good. if you were expecting the lasagna to be on par with the
finest italian restaurants its not. just like you can’t duplicate the greasiest burgers. if you don’t eat meat the impossible burger is pretty great. but it’s
not hawkins or in n out. just like non fat milk or 2% milk is not whole milk. yet many people drink non fat or 2% are are used to it and don’t miss it.

i read DTLAeaters post about him wanting to take his girlfriend who loves vegetables out for her birthday. crossroads is the nicest, coolest vegan
restaurant with full bar in the city. it’s also a celeb/people watching restaurant with good service and solid food. to me it’s a much better choice
than gracias madre, pyt or erven which are all solid. i’ll stick with my suggestion over any other restaurant in LA because this seems like the
most loving place i could take her.

1 Like

Why is it a better choice than PYT or Erven?

Neither Crossroads or Erven are downtown btw

[quote=“garyis1, post:23, topic:4892”]
crossroads is the nicest, coolest vegan restaurant with full bar in the city. it’s also a celeb/people watching restaurant with good service and solid food.
[/quote]Good rec. We’ll take our youngest (vegetarian) as a thanks for keeping our crazy kitten over the holidays. I’m a meat eater, but am perfectly happy enjoying a good vegan meal.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t Erven be the more rewarding meal?

Lots of non-vegans raving about it on the forums and elsewhere; not so much about Crossroads.

I’ll check it out.

Erven is good food, but for a romantic night out, I think Crossroads might be better. They can always go to Erven on a more casual night.

I thought this was a reward dinner for TheCookie’s kid??

Oh. I thought we were still talking about the original post.

It gets confusing. Doesn’t it?