Dish of the Month (DoTM) – APRIL 2016 – VEGETABLE(S)

I am the LAST person who should be taking others to task for going off-topic…

4 Likes

Funny!

Thanks… Vegetarian is easy at Gjusta. Two vegetarian couples (heard them discussing their options)/ordered their fill right after me.

The majority of salads have no animal protein. Use of goat cheese and parm is common. Besides falafel, I think eggplant parm was listed. If so and if it’s half as good as the chicken parm, I’d pick it up off the floor to eat it. They usally have specials - ask. Pastries are great. If your son eats fish, the tuna conservative is great. The smoked fish case is top knotch.

4 Likes

Got plenty of veggies for the week. Hops are veggies right?

6 Likes

Nice. What “vegetables” did you get?

He’s not eating any flesh right now. It’s a new thing. I don’t know how long he’ll stick with it. But he’ll love the eggplant parm. I used to spend a lot of time in Venice and keep hearing about Gjusta and other good spots there. It’s time to start venturing out of our 'hood (beverly grove area) and check them out. Thanks!

If all the meat in the display cases turns his stomach, Cafe Gratitude is only a few blocks away on Rose Ave. Haven’t eaten there in a long time but coverage has been pretty extensive on this board.

1 Like

Salad at sotto

7 Likes

Nelson and Hoppy Birthday does a body good.

2 Likes

I don’t think he gets turned off from looking at meat. He’s a pretty easy kid. But I know vegetarians like to go to vegetarian restaurants for more variety and less stress about whether something’s made with chicken broth, etc. We actually have a Cafe Gratitude on Larchmont. He loves it. That family also owns a vegan Mexican restaurant on Melrose called Gracias Madre, if you’re interested. It’s fantastic.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Hoppy Birthday - nice. What’s Nelson?

1 Like

Nelson is actually a varietal of hops. Nelson the beer is made by Alpine and uses this varietal in their Nelson beer, which is full of veggies.

1 Like

Ahem. Here, unequivocally, is a vegetable!

It’s a spinach, cheese, and potato roll from Garlo’s. See? 2 veggies in that weird puree pictured. More dishes and a review coming shortly in the April rundown.

6 Likes

Wow. I work near Westwood and never heard of the place. I need to start venturing west for lunch more often. Their menu looks yummy.

@TheCookie Nope, not at all. Food and drink are my hobbies when I’m not working or doing family stuff. I watch an insane amount of TV and read a lot in my down time. It’s been a whole lot of fun trying these techniques at home. I think it helps me appreciate the meal more when I go out.
If you’re interested, my friend purchased the Anova Immersion Circulator on Amazon for about $100 and one of those large food storage tubs for about $10. I’ve got a vacuum sealer, so we get together and experiment when we can. It works extraordinarily well. I’m a huge fan of the 63 degree egg…one of our other faves from experimenting.

2 Likes

If it’s btw, say, McD’s and Garlo’s Garlo’s surely wins. Otherwise, if you have a LOT of time off for lunch, keep heading west to Aussie Pie Kitchen (which actually might be a bit too big and heavy for lunch, though). :wink:

That sounds great. I agree about appreciating a restaurant meal the more you learn about cooking.

When watching food (mostly meat) being sous vide on Top Chef I never really had an interest or totally understood the purpose. Plus it wasn’t always a success for the contestants. But your vegetables and the way you explain how it brings out the flavors made me understand it more. Definitely intrigued.

I will save the info you gave me for future. I’m jealous. We live in a house built in1928 and electrical outlets are limited. I got rid of the big microwave w/attached toaster and we switched to French press coffee. Definitely miss a toaster - I keeping burning bread in the broiler. However, my cousin keeps threatening to upgrade our electricity, so who knows.

Happy cooking!

2 Likes

McD’s… funny. That’s only for an extreme hurry.

I normally eat at my desk - I like to get to work and get out. We usually go lite and pick-up soups and/or quiche at Clementines. They have curbside service and great soups. But hubby & I sometimes share a car. When he picks me up we eat out. We will definitely put those 2 places on the map. I had no idea about the Aussie pie thing. It’s sooo up my alley!

Have you been to Bru’s Counter? I want to like it more than I do b/c the menu looks good (and the food isn’t BAD). It would probably make a decent lunch rotation and might be closer to you than is the Village.

FWIW, I think the CC mall food court is great…