Dish of the Month (DoTM) – APRIL 2016 – VEGETABLE(S)

The Garden of was at the Wednesday SaMo FM on Arizona on my rare weekday visit. Looks so pristine it’s a shame to eat.

2 Likes

It looks so pristine I’m ashamed of what I am eating. My goodness those greens put everyone’s to shame.

1 Like

Organic too - how so perfect?!?!

Hope your remodel is moving along…

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Have you tried any of The Garden Of…'s Organic Lettuces? (Yes, their Momotaro Tomato this year was lovely! :slight_smile:

Definitely try their various Lettuces, they are amazing and really make your homemade salad taste so much better than the store-bought pre-packaged mixed greens. :sweat_smile:

They’re doing well, I overheard that some of LA’s top restaurants are contacting Takikawa-san to use their Organic Lettuces (like Republique!). :slight_smile:

Hi @bulavinaka -

It’s going slow. The plumbing situation did us in. Did I mention the house is 90 yrs old? It is looking really good though!

We must confess though - the DTLA lifestyle is growing on us. We walk almost everywhere. There is a dinky Farmers Market that I walk to every Sunday. I’ll edit my too many photos and post soon. The heirlooms are amazing.

Thanks for asking!

2 Likes

1927-1928? That rests squarely in the golden era of LA homebuilding workmanship.

2 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

I’ve never even heard of them. Definitely want to go. Those lettuces look awesome!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @J_L -

Yep 1928. It’s a great house. But it’s a triplex and there is a lot of red tape. Fortunately the inspector is happy with majority of the work. We are losing some of the character though. Couldn’t be helped! :cry:

:heart: :houses:

Getting these beauties up to code almost always involve compromise. Hope you get plenty of ROI !

1 Like

True, I need to shake it off. But I will miss things like the original built-in icebox.

ROI? Ha! It’s 3 floors of family lol. Our friends call it ‘the compound’. But it will be safe, up to code and easier to live in. We just won’t be taking any vacations for a long while. :wink:

1 Like

Enjoyment of one’s own daily living accommodations is a definite ROI.

4 Likes

I’m bookmarking that

Farmers Market update:

It was neat seeing Chef Michael Cimarusti and his crew shopping for the freshest vegetables and fruits recently.

The Garden Of…

Farmer Shu Takikawa and his family continue to bring over beautiful, bright produce, just in time for the holidays. :slight_smile:

Organic Heirloom Tomatoes:

This was from last month (sorry, forgot to post this pic): For those who are fans of Farmer Takikawa’s Momotaro Tomatoes (@bulavinaka), you might want to give their beautiful Heirloom (Mini) Tomatoes a try. They aren’t really Cherry Tomatoes, but they are beautifully sweet with just a hint of tart. Excellent for Salads. :slight_smile:

This past week:

Organic Heirloom Lettuces:

The Garden Of’s Organic Lettuces remain as beautiful as always, like flowers. :blush: And thankfully they taste as bright and vibrant as they look.

Organic Chidori Kale:

Don’t miss out on their amazing Chidori Kale! We just bought some and sauteed it up with Garlic and Olive Oil. Visually stunning and delicious! :slight_smile:

The Garden Of… (Organic Farm)
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:30AM - 1:00PM

Weiser Family Farms

And to go with the excellent Garden Of Organic Lettuces for our Salad…

Watermelon Radishes:

Weiser Family Farms had a wonderful assortment of Radishes. Their Watermelon Radishes not only are eye-catching, but have a nice crisp, peppery snap to them. :slight_smile:

Weiser Family Farms
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:30AM - 1:00PM

Also at:
Beverly Hills
Long Beach
Mar Vista
Pasadena
Santa Monica (both Wed, Sat)
Venice

4 Likes

The color of those lettuces is beautiful. Great photography, @Chowseeker1999!

1 Like

Thanks @Bookwich. Farmer Takikawa and his family and staff did the hard work (growing the vegetables). I just pressed a button. :wink: Did you get a chance to try their organic lettuces and other vegetables? (You might’ve also tried them via various restaurants as chefs have started picking up from them (e.g., Republique).)

Do they sell at the Santa Monica farmers market? The name sounds familiar.

I’ll ask them next time I see them. Even though the Santa Monica farmers market is closer, just scheduling and meeting up with friends has made it so we go to the Hollywood farmers market instead. I’ll let you know what I find out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Garden of . . . is at SMFM on Wednesdays.
I was planning to make a totally appropriate fall salad with chicories and dates and pomegranate. Instead, I took one look at the lettuces available from The Garden of . . . and said “Fuck it. It’s Southern California. I’m making a Green Goddess salad for Thanksgiving!”

4 Likes