Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- DECEMBER 2016 -- GONADS, PIES, AND CURRY

HA. I had the same exact conversation with myself at Bestia a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes

Funny uni posts. I had the uni and Ikura fried rice at Night Market Song a week ago and the uni on it was pretty damn good. Pure seafood custard.

3 Likes

Paging @PorkyBelly, uni rice @ Terra Cotta

Pic from KevinEats

http://www.kevineats.com/

Uni Rice [$24.00] | hot stone rice with seaweed, cucumber, caviar and sea urchin

4 Likes

Thanks, i was all over that when i saw it on the menu. Had to do an uni rice bang bang with POT #inbeforethekevin

5 Likes

should’ve known you were already on top of it.

1 Like

Just glad you enjoyed the urchin-forward preparation, which was on point.

6 Likes

It was a must order, the sea urchin ate sweet, creamy, and briny. The flavor profile of the seaweed and cucumber imparted a welcomed vegetal-forward component to the dish, natch.

6 Likes

:smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The rice provided the perfect starchy foil for the the tender, perfectly yellow uni.

2 Likes

Mmmmmm, yelloooowwwwww (Homer Simpson drooling)

1 Like

Is yellow good?

1 Like

Speaking of Kevineats, WTF is going on? His last post was 12/27.

Must be out collecting similes and metaphors.

Santa Barbara uni is good again! At least the uni I got at Mitsuwa this week. They haven’t even had uni the last few times I was there, but now they did, and I bought it to make pasta, but ended up just eating it right off the little wood tray as soon as I unwrapped it. I’m a greedy, little hedonist, have I mentioned?

3 Likes

@PorkyBelly probably feeling some gonad envy.

1 Like

That’s exactly what i do with my 'nads too when i get home - unwrap those bastards and put them straight into my mouth.

As a matter of fact I have some 'nads in my mouth right now and they’re spectacular.

6 Likes

Oooh, what IS that?

1 Like

Deep fried tempura uni

1 Like

This would have been the mother of all entries for December DoTM.

2 Likes

How does Los Angeles not have this?

When it’s almost done he slips milt and a roe sac into the soup. He takes a sip from a tasting spoon. “No need to adjust,” he says. “It’s not a complicated thing to make.”

2 Likes

Fun read. Appreciate that the author has the vocabulary of a tenured geologist.