Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- FEBRUARY 2017 -- CHICKEN

What do you think of the Ludo Bird ? I was watching Mind Of A Chef . Apparrantely he has a spot in the LA Kings center serving up these chicken sandwiches . They looked pretty good on TV . But that goes without saying the truth . Any good ?

I thought they were very good. Chicken was juicy and coating was crisp. Herbs and salt on top were a nice addition.

Best quality non luxury box stadium conscession I have tried for sure.

1 Like

There’s a truck and another brick and mortar location at CityWalk. I’ve eaten from the truck and it’s a solid fried chicken. The crisp exterior and the herbs really make it…and the side of Bearnaise works well, too. I love the fresh slaw that comes with the chicken…there’s a bit of jalapeno heat that’s quite nice.

2 Likes

I still need to try Ludo at Staples. My hockey friend likes the beef dip sandwiches so we always hit that up after the 2nd.

Usually eat before a Kings game though.

GKG!!!

1 Like

They’re OK to pretty good.

1 Like

Taking some liberty here in posting chicken not from Los Angeles, but I don’t return to L.A. until next month so this as close to participation as I’ll get in February’s Dish of the Month (and I’ve seen threads drift much farther afield :smirk_cat:)

Jerk Chicken from Scotchies in Kingston:

All trip photos here, including more chicken dishes!:
http://foodtalkcentral.com/t/kingston-jamaica-in-february/4920

8 Likes

indifferent pho ga (it was banh mi che cali but took advantage of the buy one second half off)

spicy fried chicken from tasty dumpling house (why they kept the name after being bought out and doing shanghai-ese cuisine, i can’t explain) which was quite good

Just in time for Chicken month, Mon Petit Poulet has opened. Lincoln in Venice, from Paris.
http://www.monpetitpoulet.com

https://www.instagram.com/monpetitpouletla/

3 Likes

Post-Costco, driving up Lincoln on Sunday, I noted out of the corner of my eye that it appeared open. Good to know.

1 Like

Gele mountain chicken from Best Noodle House (see brief review under Feb rundown):

4 Likes

Went to Mon Petit Poulet today for lunch. It’s too early to give them a full on review, and there was truly nothing to photograph that isn’t on their Instagram page (linked above), but here’s the deal:

It’s only rotisserie chicken, and the various “flavors” listed are the sauce they spoon on top. I got the Rosemary and it was delicious. The chicken is extremely moist, the skin is crispy, and the flavors are wonderful. Very French

I got mashed potatoes and roasted potatoes because they were out of Hericot Verts and I don’t like cooked carrots (it’s with honey) and wasn’t in the mood for lentils, and they spooned the Rosemary gravy on those - delicious. The potatoes really are satisfyingly good.

Here’s what bugged me, though: there is only one choice: 1/4 chicken with two sides, and it’s $14.95, with tax it’s $16.25ish. That’s way too expensive for lunch. Because they didn’t have the green beans, I asked for just one side, which they couldn’t accommodate (or pretended not to understand, they’re French, but really friendly - just kept shrugging as they piled on the potatoes)

6 Likes

I went as well for lunch today.
Feel just like you did - it is way too much to pay for chicken, but still darn tasty.
Roasted Spuds are really divine as they are cooked in the dripping chicken fat.
They gave me a taste of the ratatouille which was also really good.
I had the fig sauce, it was good. but too sweet for the bird, IMHO. Should have had the thyme.
Napkins are in surprisingly short supply.

3 Likes

I went yesterday (damn, we FTCers are keeping them afloat right now!) - The menu offers 5-6 types of chicken. I asked for a whole chicken - they only had thyme.

Fairly good chicken in the rotisserie vein, but adding the complimentary MPP au jus strangely didn’t help the chicken taste any better.

I asked for haricots verts - No dice. The potatoes were good, though. And I got offered a sample of lentils, which were delicious as well.

Super friendly, enthusiastic service. They were shocked that I spoke some French (dude, it’s L.A.!)…

And the chocolate cake was excellent.

Whole chicken, potatoes, and 2 slices of chocolate cake came out to $51 and change.

I’d give them a week or two to really ramp up before rendering a verdict.

2 Likes

I think the Parisian pedigree will generate enough interest to keep them alive for a very short time. But unless they liven up the place, spiff up the offerings and deaden up the price, I think they will be in trouble – in Paris they don’t have to compete with El Pollo Fucking Loco

3 Likes

This is what I’m looking forward to.

1 Like

… not to mention Zankou, Pollo a la Brasa, et al.

I suppose in Paris EPL would be “Le Poulet Fou” :smiley:

4 Likes

Also - California Chicken Cafe is right across the street. And they have broccoli soup (that I LOVE). Wonder if we were there at the same time @CiaoBob

2 Likes

MPP roasters fly First Class Air France and attend Lycée Français. $5 Costco chicken takes public transportation and LAUSD. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @yogachik,

I was just thinking about that (CCC). How’s the chicken compare to California Chicken Cafe? Thanks.

Or if it were started by a verlan-talking hamster… “Le Poulet Ouf”