Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- February -- PASTRIES

Love the guava cheese!

2 Likes

Sidecar Doughnuts (Costa Mesa)
Many doughnuts were purchased.

But these were mine.
Butter & Salt, Cinnamon Sugar Crumb, Black Velvet, and Blood Orange. The Maple Bacon didn’t make it as it arrived fresh and piping hot, so I had to choice but to immediately consume it.

7 Likes

Buttermilk Lemon Poppy at Blue Star Donuts Venice… Wonderful.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the filling me in about Nicole’s backstory, @bulavinaka ! I wasn’t aware of the lengths she went to in striving for baking excellence! From my somewhat limited exposure to her pastries at Gjelina and the Cofax donut, I knew her pastries were definitely a cut above. This certainly gives me some context. I’m just astounded!

Repubique: bombolini, kouign amann, and plain crosissant. All were terrific. My favorite was the kouign amann.

7 Likes

ST Patisserie

Kee Wah

Viet Mooncake

4 Likes

Must’ve just missed you, @A5KOBE.

Kee Wah Bakery - Original egg tart, Portuguese egg tart, signature crispy egg tart from left to right.

3 Likes

Nice , which one did you like best?

Not an egg tart expert, but I love the ones that have flaky crusts - the Portuguese and the signature crispy ones. The Portuguese had a bit of a crispiness to the crust and was a little sweeter whereas the signature crispy one had a super delicate bite and more of uhm… an eggier flavor, for lack of a better way of putting it and in no way bad at all. Both really good. :smile:

I also dropped by JJ Bakery and liked Kee Wah’s flakier tarts more versus JJ’s crumbly crust, which was similar to Kee Wah’s original egg tart but was like 3 times taller and whose crumb was a teensy bit more moist.

1 Like

Yeah the ones I had (original) were my least favorite. Completely agree with your assessment.

1 Like

Jim’s Bakery, 9am, for the flake. It’s the closest we have to HK.

1 Like

I don’t know if you’ve already seen this, @bulavinaka, but there’s a Lucky Peach article about Nicole Rucker, and it includes a couple of recipes for her hand pies.

http://luckypeach.com/how-to-make-hand-pies/

Ah cool… Thanks!

1 Like

Bethany Kelllerhals’s croissant from Ledlow. As good as Proof’s in terms of execution, but a little bit less buttery. I’m ok with that. $3.25 for plain, $4 for chocolat/amandines.

4 Likes

Do donuts count?

After a laid-back Valentines lunch at Oysterette, we strolled to Fonuts on 3rd St. I have driven past many times, but it’s so nondescript, with an odd name. I kind of wondered why it is still open. The shop is more inviting inside and busy. Not your typical fried donut. They are baked or steamed, but still very rich. Lots of vegan and GF selections. Very tasty! I’d say the best GF I’ve had.

Hint: Passionfruit (eaten prior to picture) is really good!

$20 for 6 and an espresso.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll see if I can swing by if Mian manages to open back up this weekend.

1 Like

Breakfast at Chaumont

5 Likes

they have floor dryers going day and night right now throughout the entire affected area hoping for reopening by the weekend, but it’s NOT HAPPENING. Insurance co has demanded more repairs than originally thought needed. Of note, the zhong dumplings are replicas of the Chengdu Taste proffering.

1 Like

'preciate the intel, Tony. Just have to keep an eye out then. :slightly_smiling:

Is that crosisant as light and as flaky as it seems in the photo??? :slight_smile: