Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JANUARY 2017 -- SOUPS/STEWS

well I had Khash yesterday. A traditional, seasonal, stylized, and supremely festive Armenian thing. We have to eat it in the morning with loads of vodka and when it’s cold outside. thems are the rules. the salt and garlic and lavash are also rules… people customize in their own way but not me

some other pics… party continued at Cedars S

http://imgur.com/a/mHyLZ

6 Likes

Is this homemade or available at a restaurant? Assume homemade…but, you never know.

yes that’s homemade… there are some places that do it i’m sure but i dont know how to direct you to a good one… nor have i ever had one… because this is a festive family thing… you’d probably be grossed out doing it at 8 am at a restaurant after vodka

1 Like

If the vodka is quality stuff, it could be right up my alley. Seems like an interesting experience. I’ve heard the real deal is sort of the consistency of warm animal fat…how true is that?

Did the party have to continue at Cedars S because after consuming this food someone had to be admitted?

2 Likes

It is fatty and gelatinous but never warm. it’s fatty because it is fat. I’m still feeling the sticky mouthfeel full 30 hours after a bowl. Needs to be piping hot, never warm. Consistency is pretty runny, thin. We dont make it thick… Add loads of lavash and it’s thickened.

no… preexisting condition :frowning: but certainly related for past consumption of said soup… and vodkas

1 Like

Bale Valley, Canoga Park

Egg noodles w/ vietnamese style beef stew (to-go). HOLY SHIT this was so fucking good. Insane portion for the price. You eat the noodles in the stew, kinda like a vietnamese beef stew khao soi; this pic was before/after I poured the stew onto the noodles.

9 Likes

beef/beef tendon noodle soup, courtesy of p p pop in monterey park.

what the heck, two type of soup dumplings, same place: XLB

and SJB

5 Likes

Hi @Nemroz,

Thanks for the pics. The Kurkut, cracked wheat, pork looked so delicious! :slight_smile: /jealous :smile: Do you know anywhere serving that dish?

I love the way you guys eat. I still think about that spread during BBQ month.

Last time we spent an evening visiting someone at Cedars I think it was Honey Jack in plastic cups.

1 Like

No way, never heard it of it outside of my family. I think this is something from a remote Region near Armenia called Karabagh where many of my people are from. Sorry I can’t be more of help, don’t mean to just make people jealous. I can procure the recipe though for the adventurous. It seems quite simple.

This khash thing is so weird… we get together for a full party for breakfast… this one started at 10 am… which is pretty late. i finally was able to restrict myself to 1 bowl of the broth… 2 and i’m done for the rest of the day, can’t move… the 1 bowl i’m still feeling the sticky, salty effects from 2 days later

1 Like

That’s quite a bowl of food to do that to someone. Now I’m curious :relaxed:.

It’s all fat and collagen and salt and garlic… fucking nuts… the beef trotters cook all night long… when we’re done with the soup, we use it as aspic for meat suspensions (gelee… natural jelly, no added gelatin)… something called holodets. glorious with russian mustard

4 Likes

After I waxed so much poetic about the gloriousness of the beef stew, I went back to order it again and it was not the same AT ALL. The beef was tender as hell, and the noodles were right, and they actually gave me a to-go container of salt/peper as is traditional with vietnamese beef stew.

But the accouterments for the noodles were off (minimal cilantro, no scallions, raw onion instead), and the broth felt like “end of day 8pm broth” instead of “super dank 2pm broth”. To this point, I actually had some leftover broth from the day before and you can clearly see in the last photo that today’s broth is more red/fatty/thin in nature vs the beefy dankness I had just 2 days prior.

4 Likes

Oh wow Nemroz. I can see why you’re trying to stick to the 1 bowl rule. I would probably want to smear it on crusty bread or a big crostini and crush the egg on top, haha. I definitely wouldn’t shy away from it though :yum:. I can also see why it’s not typically served in Armenian restaurants. It does seem like a home thing :wink:. Love your family traditions.

The 3rd picture looks pretty good though. Is that the Cornish game hen place? I’ve noticed certain places give out the dregs in to go orders. What is that? Is it because we can’t send it back? It’s dumb though. Because we all have keypads bwahaha.

yeah, Bale Valley in Canoga Park. Don’t get me wrong, it was still “good”, but it wasn’t the same “OMG I NEED TO GO BACK RIGHT NAO” magic just 2 days prior.

And I know for sure it’s not diminishing returns because I’d have no problems going back for a 4th cornish game hen today.

2 Likes

thanks for this… been wanting a new dubu place

edit: arg… not koreatown… this doesn’t help me a tall :frowning: anything in ktown better than beverly for you?