Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JULY 2016 -- Nominations (for realz)

Be still my heart. Next year?

1 Like

+1 for BBQ.

Great month for BBQ.

While BBQ to me means low slow smoking, I think we can include descriptions and pics of delicious backyard grilled meats from 4th and other July get-togethers.

1 Like

I nominate BBQ, as well as an off-theme nomination for FROZEN DESSERTS since July is national ice cream month.

1 Like

I’m in for BBQ, though SEAFOOD could also be a winner.

seconding @chinchi w/ FROZEN DESSERTS

BBQ sounds good.

[quote=“raihan, post:26, topic:3623, full:true”]
seconding @chinchi w/ FROZEN DESSERTS
[/quote] I hate to be a party poop. Frozen desserts sound great in July. But we’re trying out themes, and this month’s theme is Meaty. BBQ is a good summer choice too. So I’m switching from liver.

Maybe next months theme could be desserts and people could vote on which type they want, like frozen desserts or French, etc. Just a thought. Feel free to ignore me.

Since this is the nomination phase, you can actually put in multiple noms. :slight_smile:

Within the meaty category right?

Preferably yes, but it’s not like I’m going to ignore votes for frozen desserts. :wink:

I’m backing your decision. Just wanted make sure that’s what you meant. Meaty it is.

1 Like

When people say “bbq” does that really mean grilled or actually bbq?

Good question @catholiver. I’m more of a grill type girl. So I’m going to be possibly irritating and switch again GRILLED MEATS. And I’m sticking with it.

Sorry for sticking my nose in but we ‘grill’ a ton of things (meaty and not!) but rarely “bbq.” Yeah, I understand that this isn’t about home cooking.

1 Like

I only read the first part of the “DOTM Changes” thread but now I’m perplexed: Now we have a “theme” and we can only nominate from that? And how is that theme decided?

My vote is to keep things as simple as possible. Let everyone nominate (or second and third…) whatever they want. Popularity will decide which we vote among and which prevails. To my mind the most successful DOTMs are those that attract the most responses and photos and generate the most active discussions.

In that vein, of course a DOTM of BBQ would include home grilling. After all, we throw and go to a backyard BBQ, not a backyard “grill,” even though the cooking technically is usually the latter.

I’ll add a third for FROZEN DESSERTS.

2 Likes

Uh oh…

Hi @nosh - Your quitting DoTM is the reason I left CH. It was a great thread. You didn’t take it over on FTC, and haven’t been posting on it very much. So, you may or may not know there was some arguing about home cooking, gardening and generally going off topic. @paranoidgarliclover got some flack and decided to ask for feedback to possibly make it better. I responded that I thought it was good as is. But suggested maybe establishing a theme if he/she wanted to keep the thread more focused. You did not contribute, but at the 11th hour are unhappy with the decision.

I didn’t mean to shake things up or make anyone unhappy. I will refrain from suggestions, and happily contribute to whatever you guys/gals decide. As long as we can get back to talking about food.

I second MUSHROOMS and BBQ.

1 Like

@TheCookie: thanks for the explanation and defense. But I see no problem w/ @nosh giving feedback about how he’d like DoTM to be (just as any poster can give feedback).

For me, I do think a broad theme might be a nice twist on DoTM b/c I think the “Weekend Rundown” thread actually does much of what DoTM used to do (in terms of giving posters a good reason to post pics and stories w/o feeling that they have to do a full-on “review”). So I thought we’d try it for a few months.

At the same time, it’s not a hard and fast rule (of course), and I’ll be accepting all noms. And if lots of people find it overly restrictive, we can always change it back.

1 Like