Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JULY 2017 -- BURGERS

You’re allowed to say “american cheese”. I draw the line at “yummo” though. ;o)

4 Likes

Hah! I know, I know.

2 Likes

Chance Burger (jalapeño, sautéed chili onion, habanero cream coleslaw, cheddar) from The Standing Room in Redondo Beach. I tend to not like most of the burgers here because I feel like they have too much going on, but I really like the flavor combination of this one.

8 Likes

You win!

1 Like

Oh wait. I’ve been to this place and have been trying to remember the name since burgers were voted. It’s a counter in a convenience store? Yes, the burger had a lot going on and I hate baby greens on my burger (your slaw looks much better). With that said it was still pretty delicious. They know how to cook a burger. Great picture btw.

2 Likes

Plus a 16-ouncer for background music.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s inside a liquor store.

They do, but they cook the meat medium, so I ask for it medium rare. And thank you! :grinning:

1 Like

Lumpia Burger with sisig tater tots at Bahay Kainan in Carson. If you missed the sisis tots from Belly n Snout and don’t want to drive out to their new location in Rancho Cucamonga these are a good substitute. I want to check out the rest of the menu.
https://www.baboyscarson.com/

4 Likes

Howard’s Famous Bacon & Avocado Burgers, in Palms (just east of the intersection of Sepulveda & Venice Blvds.)… I’ve always wanted to try the burger there. The DOTM gave me further incentive to go. I got the “Howard’s Special”, which is the classic 1/4 pound burger with bacon, avocados, and “the works”, fries, and a drink.

Verdict: It’s a good burger! A bit on the greasy side, perhaps, but that is not a bad thing with me. Fries are good too (better than In-N-Out’s, in my book). I’m just not sure the avocado adds all that much to the gestalt, but it was tasty.

Overall, Howard’s is a clean, friendly place which also serves different sandwiches, tacos, quesadillas, and fish & chips! I even got a pretty decent order of breaded shrimp (with tartar sauce) as well. Lots of locals coming in and out, and the people working there are super-friendly. I’d go back.

10 Likes

Wow, great! I’ve always wondered about that place.

i would say this about most everything. i’m sick of avocado on everything like
folks were sick of bacon on everything.

i must have passed this place a bunch of times, but never knew anyone who
at there. thanks for the report.

1 Like

Even guacamole?

1 Like

naw. it just seems to me the avocado has become kinda ubiquitous in the last few years. too many sandwiches have avocado on them for me.

1 Like

3 Likes

I love avocado, but somewhat agree. Toast? Yes. A salad? Definitely. Guacamole? :kissing_closed_eyes:! But on burgers and sandwiches it’s just messy and doesn’t add anything.

1 Like

I don’t even know that this has any relevance, but this avocado happy dance sort of makes me happy.

1 Like

Harumph! :frowning_face: Here I will overlook this flaw in your character makeup.

6 Likes

Not to derail the Burger theme. But have you ever tried Smitty’s on Venice right where Culver meets? It’s been a couple of years since I went, but when we first moved in the area, we would go a few times a year. I thought the fried fish and their tartar sauce was solid for the price. Come to think of it the fried chicken was pretty decent too. I should give them a try to see how things have held up.

1 Like

i love avocado on sandwiches when it is used instead of mayo.

i feel about mayo the way you feel about avocado.

4 Likes

I know. What is wrong with me?