Dish of the Month (DoTM) – JUNE 2016 – FRUITS

#Salazar
Pineapple

4 Likes

Hollywood Farmers Market. Oyster Guys and Harry’s Berries combo. Because why not?

Any of those street fruit cup vendors: MacArthur Park, Boyle Heights, Pico Union, Red/Purple Line Metro Stations, etc. Solo Limon. I can’t do tajin on my fruit.

Phoenix Bakery. Strawberry Cake. Classic Los Angeles IMO. Although this cake crosses all borders, most Chinese kids in Chinatown and SGV grew up on this cake or a variation of it. Our counterparts in Taiwan/HK/China don’t f with this.

3 Likes

[quote=“JeetKuneBao, post:103, topic:3447”]
Phoenix Bakery. Strawberry Cake. Classic Los Angeles IMO.
[/quote] We grew up on this cake in my family too. For special occasions we’d order the cake, get a box of almond cookies for the house and eat a pork bun on the way home. Oh wow. I haven’t been in so long. Thanks for the memory.

Update:

Hollywood Farmers Market

Pudwill Farms
Located 80 miles north of Santa Barbara, Pudwill Farms is a regular mainstay at a few farmers markets around town. They predominantly sell Raspberries and Blueberries, including an eye-catching Golden Raspberry, but the best thing to seek out is their Black Mission Figs, when they are in season (right now)! :slight_smile:

Black Mission Figs:

Pudwill Farms’ Black Mission Figs are some of the sweetest, most luscious Figs out there. I love these Figs when they are in season. Soft to the touch and tender and slightly meaty, but oh so sweet. They were great this week.

Pudwill Farms
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:30AM - 1:00PM

Also at Farmers Markets in:

Beverly Hills
Mar Vista
Ojai
Pasadena
Santa Barbara
Santa Monica (Wed & Sat & Sun)
Studio City
Thousand Oaks
Ventura

http://www.pudwillberryfarms.com/

Tenerelli Orchards

Stone fruit are in season, and Tenerelli Orchards featured the Sugar Lady White Peach this week:

After letting them ripen on the kitchen counter for a day or two (until they were soft), it was time to enjoy! The Sugar Lady Peaches were bursting with juicy sweetness, with a nice aroma.They are some of the best Peaches at the farmers market each week.

Be on the lookout for their amazing Snow Queen White Peaches (my favorite)! :slight_smile:

Tenerelli Orchards
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Also at the Santa Monica Farmers Markets (Wednesdays).

Weiser Family Farms

Weiser Farms’ Potatoes are pretty famous and ubiquitous at many local-focused restaurants around LA, with good reason, as their Potatoes have so much flavor IMHO.

They also have fantastic Heirloom Melons when it’s the season, and this week, an amazing aroma hit my nose as we walked past Weiser Farms’ stand (it was that potent and fragrant)! I couldn’t resist and had to get one. :slight_smile:

Arava Melon:

The Arava Melon is a new varietal that I haven’t seen at Weiser (or other stands) recently. It smelled amazing, a slight musky, but intensely beautiful melon aroma. And this is before even cutting one open.

At home, cutting it open after chilling it slightly yielded an even stronger aroma, but the taste was where it really shined: Slightly tender, but still firm, a cool chill, and this deep, melon perfume, more intense and wonderful than a Honeydew or other similar type. A good sweetness but never cloying, one of the better melons I’ve tried the past year or so.

Weiser Family Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

6 Likes

i drive out there once a year to load up.
that said,
CALL FIRST
this is NOT like most commercial operations.
the foundation is run by volunteers.
not everything is in stock all the time.

Thanks! That’s a long drive to to find them closed. I’m curious. Is it strictly for planters/gardeners? And what do you get?

I’ve never found it actually closed when i went,

BUT

the assortment changes each time.
i usually go with an open mind and select plants that i think might survive in my dark garden with its clay soil.
they hold two sales a year.
for the best selection go BEFORE the sales or be there EARLY on the day of the sales because lots of folks will be planning their day around going to the sales.

thomas payne is NOT primarily geared to edibles

1 Like

for what it’s worth, in my experience, wsg is spot on. and man, that is a haul and a half
from where she’s coming from, so you figure it must be worth it.
going early anytime, especially during sales, is a good idea because their parking
lot can be a lot less than fun.

2 Likes

More wonderful seasonal fruit from the Farmer’s Market! :slight_smile: Had to share.

Tenerelli Orchards

Flavor King Pluots:

Easily the best Pluots I’ve ever tasted, there is a reason they are called “Flavor King” Pluots. :slight_smile: It begins with the nuanced flavors: It tastes like the very freshest Cherries, Plums, and some Apricot and even Peach notes. The fragrance you get with each bite is wonderful! :blush:

I love these more than Harry’s Berries Strawberries when they are just ripe. :slight_smile:

Flavor Kings seem like they’re only in season for a few weeks and then they’re gone, so get them while you can! :slight_smile:

Snow Giant Peaches:

The next iteration of the White Peach for this few week block, the Snow Giants are so sweet as well, but they aren’t as interesting as the Snow Queen (my favorite) or the Sugar Giant. Still very good, and their Peaches are leagues ahead of stuff you find at the supermarkets.

Tenerelli Orchards
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Arnett Farms

Arnett Farms are another favorite of ours. Their fruit offerings are very good, and they have so many variety of fruit each week! :slight_smile:

Flavor King Pluots:

We also tried the Flavor Kings from Arnett this week. They are almost just as good, still amazingly aromatic, also with a touch of tart, but sweet Plums, Apricot flavors, and the fragrance of Cherries. :slight_smile:

Honey Sherbet Pluots:

These were a new variety we didn’t get before. They are sweet, and indeed seem to have an almost Honey-like flavor to them. They downside is that they felt very one note after having the Flavor King Pluots, LOL. :wink: In all seriousness, if you had them by themselves, they were very good and beautifully sweet. But after having a Flavor King, it really doesn’t compare.

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

4 Likes

Hollywood Farmers Market

Arnett Farms

Picked up some amazingly sweet Cara Cara Oranges from Arnett Farms:

They were almost as sweet as the Sumo Tangerines we got, but they have this really nice brightness as well. Seedless and fantastic! Definitely in season right now. :slight_smile:

Harry’s Berries

That opening scene from La La Land isn’t a joke: Our “Winter” just hit 90 degrees, and with the recent warming up of temperature, we got our beloved Harry’s Berries back from “Winter vacation”! :smile:

Yes! The amazing Organic Gaviota Strawberries are back!

They were so sweet and fragrant, as only Harry’s Berries can be like. I’d say they’re about ~80% of their “full bloom” taste, being the first of the season, but even at 80% of their greatness, they are still fantastic and much better than most other Strawberries around. :wink:

So glad they’re back!

Harry’s Berries
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Beverly Hills
Hermosa Beach
Montecito
Ojai
Pasadena
Santa Barbara
Santa Clarita
Santa Monica
Thousand Oaks
Torrance
Venice
Ventura
West Hollywood

See Website for more details:

http://www.harrysberries.com/

5 Likes

Nice to hear that the gaviotas are back - I heard a rumor at the SMFM that Harry’s crop this year got swept away with the rains earlier…

1 Like

Hi @J_L,

Yah it’s nice they’re back. :slight_smile: Regarding the rain, that wouldn’t surprise me. At The Garden Of… stand, Farmer Takikawa told me that he had multiple batches of his organic lettuces and greens that got wiped away by the heavy rains (not only the sheer amount of water, but that it would get too cold overnight and they’d got frost damage).

At Hollywood Farmers Market…

The money move is to hit up Harry’s for some strawberries and Oyster Guys for oysters. Looking and acting seductive is optional. Unfortunately clothing isn’t.

1 Like

FOOD on Pico has been killing it with fruit-based pastries recently. I’ve tried the coconut cake, raspberry-peach crumble, and blueberry-nectarine tart, and every one has been superlative.

1 Like

Fruit lovers (and anyone looking for some very unique, outstanding Fruit from our splendid California farmers)!

Arnett Farms

Flavor King Pluots:

Our favorite Plum-type Fruit of the season, do not miss the amazing Flavor King Pluot! As the sign says, it’s a combination of Apricot, Plum and Cherry, and the resultant taste when eaten ripe is stunning: Extremely aromatic and fragrant, beyond any standard Plum, Apricot or Cherry. It’s nuanced sweetness (not just one note), complex and wonderful! :heart: Highlight of the season so far! :blush: (I can see why David Karp of the L.A. Times would rave about Flavor King Pluots.)

Pro-Tip: Ask one of the growers / helpers at Arnett Farms to choose the ripest / best fruit for you. You can also tell them if you want it ready for “2 days” or “3 days” from now, as opposed to immediately ripe, and they will oblige. Just let it sit on your kitchen counter, ripen and enjoy!

Black Mission Figs:

The 2nd (and final) wave of Black Mission Figs are now in season. Arnett Farms guesses they may only have them around for 1 more week before they are gone for the year! Sweet, luscious, wonderful! :blush:

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Murray Family Farms

IFG 35 Grapes:

For those that might’ve missed the L.A. Times article on Grape Varietals a few weeks ago, the article went on to talk about how most commercially available Grapes were bred to be a rather one-note simple sweet, thicker skinned Grape, and that some farmers are looking to bring in more nuanced interesting flavor Grapes beyond the mainstream variant.

The IFG 35 Grape is amazing! Intense Muscat Flavors, like nothing I’ve ever had before! Don’t be put off by the “IFG 35” name, they are developing a more public-friendly sounding name soon. :slight_smile: The most amazing Grape I have ever tasted! :heart:

They also had samples of the Candy Snaps Grapes which tasted RIDICULOUS! Like Strawberries and other wonderful goodness! :heart: (Sadly they were sold out last week.)

Don’t miss out!

Murray Family Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Beverly Hills
Culver City
Pasadena
Santa Monica (Wed, Sat)
Torrance
Venice
and more…

See Website for more details:

3 Likes

The flavor king pluots were the best piece of stone fruit we’ve had this year. Juicy, sweet, flavorful, great flavors - couldn’t get enough of them the past few weeks.

2 Likes

Was at the farmer’s market myself this morning actually; the flavor kings are absolutely crazy delicious. Also the green figs were quite tasty too and have a shorter season, I think, than the black mission figs. Arnett always has the biggest crowd and the people who work there are super nice!

For those in Orange County, Arnett Farms are at the Irvine Farmer’s Market, which is open every Saturday 8 AM - 12 PM with few exceptions. It’s the best farmer’s market I’ve been to in my opinion: great variety and not too terribly crowded if you get there before 10.

2 Likes

They had seeded watermelons at the Granada Hills Sprouts today for 5.99. They are the long oblong kind, about 18” long.

1 Like

Sprouts opened up in our ‘hood. I’m going to check it out.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Farmers Markets?