Dish of the Month (DoTM) – JUNE 2016 – FRUITS

Farmers market strawberries and homemade strawberry balsamic ice cream

11 Likes

Thanks @ebethsdad.

I’ve had “wild strawberries” at some restaurant years ago (forgot where because the dessert was forgettable).

I’d love to try them as is. Know any sources? Thanks!

Other than my backyard no. If I get another crop this summer I’ll give you some. The spring ones were great. I have two kinds, one Russian, the other Californian. As you can see I have maybe one left on the Russian and we just put the Califonian in.

3 Likes

What? No fair to post that if we can’t purchase items. :wink:

4 Likes

Did you macerate the berries in balsamic or add it to the custard? Looks great! I just did a roasted strawberry version from David Lebivitz’s blog, Roasted Strawberry-Miso Ice Cream - David Lebovitz I didn’t add the miso because I didn’t have the mild stuff he recommends. Tasted great anyway. Not too sweet.

1 Like

i have seen ‘wild strawberries’ and it is not my favourite bergman film.

4 Likes

Was the university still showing old films at the architecture auditorium when you were there? I saw almost all of Keaton, Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd there. We would go to Dominick’s for dinner and then enjoy the movie. Don’t remember my parents taking us to Bergman though…

6 Likes

I cooked the berries in a pan roasted at low heat and reduced the balsamic slightly, not to syrupy reduction but to make it a slightly sweeter consistency.

I made a non egg based ice cream that I believe is in the style of Jeni’s splendid(? at least according to the blog I read). Basically its simmered cream/milk and sugar mixed with cream cheese and a little corn starch to thicken. I didn’t want to temper eggs becuz I don’t want cooked eggs lol and I’ve never made ice cream before.

Then I let the base set and chilled the balsamic mixture and hand mixed the the balsamic mixture and churned it which sucked because I don’t have an ice cream maker. It tastes great though!

Will definitely have to try it with miso next time that recipe looks good.

2 Likes

That is Jeni’s recipe. I love it for vanilla. Sounds like you did a great job. I invested in an ice cream maker a few years ago. Turned out to be a good idea especially during citrus season. You wouldn’t believe how much better homemade blood orange sorbet is than anything you can buy. Seems like we are kindred spirits!

1 Like

Although we did see Viridiana (1961) - IMDb. My father was pretty radical.

1 Like

a lot of film societys still existed, and used various university venues to show films during
the week and on weekends.

Hi @ebethsdad - I enjoy your gardening stories and pictures. You wrote the strawberries were wild. But, you said, “just put the Californian in”. Did you purchase the plants? I was curious, because years ago when we first moved in, our backyard had a few wild strawberry plants and a few tiny, sweet tomatoes. The berry plants looked like your plants with the little, dark green leaves. They were so small and sooo tasty. Eventually, they stopped coming in. I’d love to get some more.

P.S. Who’s “Jeni”?

1 Like

[quote=“MaladyNelson, post:19, topic:3447”]
@Porthos, would your mom consider adopting me?
[/quote] I know! They look as good as a magazine photo.

1 Like

We just landscaped both yards and our designer, a California native plant fanatic, put in three “Chaval Beach” strawberries. He got them at the Theodore Payne Nursery, 10459 Tuxford St. in Sun Valley. Their phone is 818-768-1802; website is www.theodorepayne.org.

Jeni is Jeni Britton Bauer, About Jeni | Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams an ice cream doyenne. She doesn’t use eggs in her recipes, relying on a mixture of cream cheese and cornstarch instead. Some people object to that, but I find it creates a very smooth mouth feel.

4 Likes

My sister would love that. For years she wouldn’t eat eggs. But she loves ice cream, and all the best have eggs.

Sorry guys. Back to finding delicious fruit stuff!

[quote=“ebethsdad, post:35, topic:3447”]
“Chaval Beach” strawberries.
[/quote] Great thanks!

theodore payne is a very cool place and worth a drive if you’re into native plants.

1 Like

[quote=“linus, post:38, topic:3447”]
theodore payne is a very cool place
[/quote] It looks really cool. I am kind of a lazy driver. But mostly, nobody I know would want to drive out there with me :disappointed:

…some places ship.