DISH OF THE MONTH (DoTM) -- MARCH 2017 -- FINAL VOTING

Hopefully, I haven’t made a gaffe in counting the noms akin to the Best Picture debacle last night, so here goes…

I do think that the “something new for you” might get a bit unwieldly if not further defined, but, if it wins, I’ll let y’all continue to discuss that. :slight_smile:

BTW, b/c of the shortened month, the poll closes at 11:59PM on 03/01.

• SALADS
  • DUMPLINGS
  • SOMETHING NEW FOR YOU

0 voters

i’m voting dumplings mainly to resurrect the old “XLB are/are not dumplings” argument. (i maintain that they are after a quick study into the use of the character ‘bao’ in other contexts)

1 Like

Perhaps we can create a thread for you and @ipsedixit to debate this??? :wink:

This is what Wikipedia has in the Alternative Name section: “Xiaolong bao, xiao long bao, soup dumplings are, xiaolong mantou, XLB”

IIRC i think i posted something in another thread, supporting my premise, to which i received no response. the short version: “bao” is as much if not more about what’s inside:

CNY lucky money ‘hong bao’ the container/packet/envelope is red, but it’s about the present inside.

pericardium ‘xin bao’ the membrane enclosing the heart

people are allowed to maintain their personal convictions, i am just saying that there’s enough factual evidence to support my claim.

actually, the other reason i voted dumplings is that i’m hoping someone will discover a source for pierogis other than polka in the southland. i surely do miss a plate of pierogis sauteed in butter with onions and served with sour cream on the side. though i’d accept a fusion using lebneh cheese in place of sour cream.

[quote=“secretasianman, post:8, topic:5197”]
reason i voted dumplings is that i’m hoping someone will discover a source for pierogis
[/quote]Me too! I want to find a place close to my 'hood. I struck out last dumpling dotm. Even when you just google “dumplings in L.A.” mostly Asian places come up, which I plan on eating a lot of if dumplings win :yum:. But I would like to switch it up a bit. Chicken & dumplings would be great too.

you’ve got primarily russian/georgian/ukrainian/that region that’s no longer named russia khinkali/ vareniky, what have you which you should be able to find around west hollywood which isn’t too far from where you be miracle mile-ish IIRC.

i understand there’s a polish place on the west side but i avoid the west side as a matter of general principle.

1 Like

Come to the bright side… We have cookies… and wifi.

5 Likes

Don’t even try. More free wifi and cookies for us.

2 Likes

I am here to make sure that Salads never win the polls. Never. We eat them in shame.

2 Likes

about the only thing worth eating on that side of town if you want to escalate.

But did you vote? Or are you waiting until 11:58??? :wink:

Did do

Says who? Don’t know what your chronic Westside issue is but as my football coach used to tell us, “suck it up and quit being little bitches.”

3 Likes

[quote=“secretasianman, post:14, topic:5197”]
you want to escalate.
[/quote]What the heck?

Compassionate person, eloquent orator, food lover… and he played football too!

He’s had some sort of unknown history with the Westside for a loooong time. Next to Putin and Asad, Westsiders are scrambling for chairs on Dante’s Ninth Circle of Hell.

3 Likes

You ain’t kiddin’. I thought he was joking at first.

I know I’ve said this before. But you really could have a second career as a writer. That shit was funny.

i have no more or less biases than anyone else on FTC. i just don’t bother trying to deny them or trying to rationalize them.