Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- MAY 2017 -- FRUIT

Nice. The split scoop is the way to go at Salt N Straw.

Side of plantains at Simply Wholesome on Slauson. Also pictured, jerk chicken patty & side of collard greens.

4 Likes

#Sidecar
purple is a fruit

11 Likes

Love the strong strawberry aroma of the Seascape and its more sweet-tart than the Gaviota witch I prefer although Gaviota’s are pretty darn good. Too bad McGrath no longer has them. I try to get strawberries at Rutiz when they have them on Wednesday’s, it’s kind of a crapshoot which varietal you will get but they seem to get the most out of their strawberries.

Yes I’m always trying to save a dollar or two over Harries lol

2 Likes

The Strawberry Soda at Kato is a wonder.

Do any other restaurants have notable fruit sodas I/we should be aware of?

1 Like

I know Maple Block his house made fruit sodas that are used in some of their drinks. I haven’t tried them though.

1 Like

Crossroads / W. Hollywood

Vegan White Chocolate Mousse, Vegan Avocado Basil Ice Cream, Raspberries, Dried Apricots, Marcona Almonds garnished w/Micro-basil

Lemon Poppy Seed Sorbet

Maccheroni Republic / DTLA

Blueberry Olive Oil Cake w/Raspberry Sauce

I love Olive Oil Cake and this did not disappoint.

A table mate ordered an Apple Tart thingy. I didn’t try it, but unsurprisingly (wrong season) they said it wasn’t good.

SK’s Donuts / Beverly Grove

Fruit Cup

Strawberry Nutella Cronut / Strawberry Custard Cronut / Strawberry Whipped Cream Stuffed Glazed Donut

Skip the empty calories of the stuffed glazed donut. But if I’ve ever criticized the Cronut craze or its inventor I take it back! :heart_eyes: These are going on my best bites list.

Cheesecake Factory / Beverly Hills

Mango Key Lime Cheesecake aka My Favorite CF Cheesecake - Thin spread of Mango Jam on top of Mango Mousse & Key Lime Mango Swirl Cheesecake, Chewy Vanilla Coconut Macaroon Crust.

5 Likes

Wolf / W. Hollywood

Eton Mess - Meringue, Berries, Vanilla Whip, Housemade Black Tea Ice Cream (not shown)

This was not eaten in May, but it deserves honorable mention for Berry Lovers.

6 Likes

#Felix

burrata, peaches, mint, olive oil, aged balsamic
This dish was fresher than a first year grad student at USC.

8 Likes

#Fishing with Dynamite

grapefruit

9 Likes

Torres Produce (GCM) - Organic White Peaches & Organic Strawberries

Fruit Salad - Chez Cookie

Along with the Peaches & Strawberries I added Champagne Mangos, Lime Juice & Dollop of Banana Pudding (Magnolia Bakery)

6 Likes

Amandine Patisserie Cafe - W.L.A.

Tarte Fruit & Tarte Fraise

Bakery Tart (Apricot)

No Food on a Stick today @paranoidgarliclover. Getting my new phone set up took way longer than anticipated. Why? All the darn food pictures! So I walked a couple doors down to Amandine to wait and wait. I had a cup of Lentil Soup, but who could resist these? IIRC this is a favorite spot of yours as well?

4 Likes

I think @nosh might be the bigger fan. I have mixed feelings about Amandine. I like the pastries (tarts, croissants). Their bread is only okay. Haven’t tried the cakes ever. I find the savories to be pretty bland (although generally made of relatively high-quality ingredients). I literally live a block away, so it’s very convenient. Even so, I find myself going to Literati (which I’m also not exactly in-love w/) more often.

I feel like bakeries in LA have really upped the ante and that Amandine hasn’t quite kept up. Still, it offers relatively decent QPR (and, when the pastries go on sale, it’s a genuine steal).

2 Likes

Hi -

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:53, topic:5622”]
Still, it offers relatively decent QPR (and, when the pastries go on sale, it’s a genuine steal).
[/quote]I think that’s what I remember you writing about. I’m with you. The tartes were very pretty in the case, but they were not as great to eat. I can’t be sure, because I wasn’t paying close attention, but I think my slices did not come from the fresh looking tartes in the case. The mixed fruit one was tasty. But a couple of the strawberries on the tarte fraise were past their freshness.

That’s funny about the bread. As an afterthought I bought a half loaf of sliced pain de mie and accidently left it on the counter.

Did Amandine used to be a table service restaurant? I think I remember actually having trout amandine there years ago. Or am I imagining things?

Strawberry Mille Feuille & Sorbet - Spago Beverly Hills

There was no mistaking the deliciousness of this dessert. You can’t see them in this pic, but there were oodles of wonderful little strawberries (glazed and fresh) on top and inside. When I put my fork into it a delicious strawberry sauce oozed out.

7 Likes

Grapefruit doughnut, from Cofax.

4 Likes

Harry’s Berries

With the heat wave, Harry’s Berries are getting fewer batches of their amazing Strawberries right now. :frowning: Also as an FYI, they said their Seascapes and Viva Patricias are done for the season (already!).

However the good news is that their wonderful Organic Tomatoes are ready to go! :slight_smile: They’re nice enough to let you sample all of the varieties, so see which ones pique your tastebuds.

They had Organic Red Cherry Tomatoes, Yellow Cherry Tomatoes, Red Grape Tomatoes, Juliets (usually our favorite), and Sweetheart Cherry Tomatoes.

For this visit, our favorite were the Organic Red Grape Tomatoes:

We’ve been eating them in Salads this week, and they are that perfect balance of truly fragrant, ripe, in-season Tomatoey flavors. A touch tart with a beautiful sweetness! :blush: If you’ve never tried Harry’s Berries’ Tomatoes when they’re in season, they’re wonderful. The sweetness is unlike any other Tomato offerings.

Harry’s Berries
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:30AM - 1:00PM

Also at Farmers Markets in:

Beverly Hills
Hermosa Beach
Montecito
Ojai
Pasadena
Santa Barbara
Santa Clarita
Santa Monica
Thousand Oaks
Torrance
Venice
Ventura
West Hollywood

See Website for more details:

http://www.harrysberries.com/

Pudwill Farms

Pudwill Farms commonly brings their Blueberries, Raspberries and Boysenberries each week, but their best offering are their amazing Black Mission Figs. And they had them ripe this week! :slight_smile:

Black Mission Figs:

To quote @J_L, they were like candy. Seriously. :slight_smile:

Wonderfully, naturally sweet, plump, tender. So good!

Pudwill Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Also at Farmers Markets in:

Beverly Hills
Hollywood
Mar Vista
Ojai
Pasadena
Santa Barbara
Santa Monica
Studio City
Thousand Oaks
Ventura

See Website for more details:

http://www.pudwillberryfarms.com/home.asp

Tenerelli Orchards

It’s stone fruit season as well now, and that means Tenerelli Orchards is back (they go away in late Fall / Winter). :slight_smile:

Sugar Lady White Peaches:

Their Sugar Lady White Peaches were very sweet and just a touch of tart to balance things a bit. We left them on the counter for a day and in this heat, they were ready to eat. :slight_smile:

Super juicy, sweet, soft. Fantastic! :slight_smile:

Tenerelli Orchards
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Also at the Santa Monica Farmers Markets (Wednesdays).

6 Likes

Two fruit ice creamz + one fruit beer to contribfruit:

• HATCHET HALL: There is a strawberry malt ice cream sundae there right now (or at least was there last week) that is killer killer.
  • BUMSAN MILK BAR ICE CREAM: A dragon fruit lychee soft serve is a solid way to get your daily dose of fruit after a duck french dip at Beer Belly (double fruit points for ordering a bottle of Peche n’ Brett during dinner).
2 Likes

This all looks wonderful, but the photo of those red grape tomatoes… :kissing_heart:

The wonderful haul we got this past week at the farmers market was too good not to share! :slight_smile:

Arnett Farms

It’s citrus season (seen all around the farmers market), but most evidently at Arnett Farms.

Cara Cara Oranges:

This had the most balanced aroma of fragrant citrus and sweetness.

Shasta Gold Mandarins:

These were so sweet, to borrow a @J_L term, it was like candy! :slight_smile: Also seedless and easy to peel! :slight_smile:

Fremont Tangerines:

OK, the Fremont Tangerines might’ve been even sweeter (in a wonderful way) than the Shasta Golds, but they have seeds for those of you who don’t want to deal with seeds (that’s the only downside to these little nuggets of flavor). :slight_smile:

Navel Oranges:

Navel Oranges are probably the most commonly found / “basic” Oranges we’re used to seeing locally. However, Arnett Farms’ Navel Oranges are outstanding. They have a very good sweetness, and are relatively mild in citrus-y aroma, but it’s a good baseline and they are delicious and a nice contrast to other citrus varieties. :slight_smile:

The most important thing is to sample the different citrus! Arnett has samples of every single Fruit they sell, so sample away and see what might be your favorite for the week.

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Also at the Santa Monica Farmers Markets (Wednesdays).

4 Likes