Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- NOVEMBER 2016 -- THANKSGIVING/HARVEST

@JeetKuneBao -

Clementine
House-roasted, pulled turkey with homemade cranberry sauce, mayo and iceberg lettuce on country white bread. Now every day can be the day after Thanksgiving! $12.95

It’s huge, more like a chunky turkey salad. Really delicious.

(Century City, Westwood, Beverly Hills)

3 Likes

Mendocino Farms does one called November 2 Remember…

warm carved turkey, housemade kale-mushroom-turkey sausage stuffing, ancho chile-cranberry chutney, herb aioli, shredded romaine on toasted cranberry walnut wheat

3 Likes

Oh boy!

Was just there this past weekend and didn’t see that! Argh. Sounds quite tasty. Had the Avocado + quinoa + superfood salad, which was pretty good (and got a free sample from Sidecar… Hee, hee).

1 Like

With Thanksgiving DOTM, I knew a stop at Gjusta was in order. :wink:

Their rotating Salads featured some interesting ones today:

Okinawan Sweet Potato Salad:

Gjusta has made a new Okinawan Sweet Potato Salad! First off, the Okinawan Sweet Potatoes were cooked just right, long enough to create this really deep sweet, caramelized taste! Besides being gorgeous to look at, they had a Yogurt & Chives Dressing that really balanced out the sweetness of the Okinawan Sweet Potato.

And just in time for Thanksgiving dish of the month theme. :wink:

Walnut & Dandelion Mixed Green Salad:

We loved their new Walnut & Dandelion Mixed Greens Salad. The Dandelion Greens are fresh from the farmers market, have a nice spicy but bitter taste to them, which is refreshingly standout, mixed with a Balsamic Dressing, Roasted Walnuts, and Aged Provolone. Great salad! :slight_smile:

Roast Turkey Butcher (with Au Jus):

Imagine the purity and total focus of what “Roasted Turkey” should be, distilled down to a single bite, and you have Gjusta’s amazing Roast Turkey Butcher Sandwich.

It is just as astounding as the last time we had it, and easily the best Turkey dish we’ve had this year so far. :slight_smile: Juicy, moist, tender slices of Turkey (lean and fatty sections) layered beautifully on their freshly baked Housemade Baguette Bread, which has a unique crunch on the outside with a pillowy soft interior.

Considering that they fresh roast their Turkey daily, this isn’t some pre-processed, bland, soulless “Turkey Breast” found at most Sandwich shops. This is really Fresh Roasted Turkey.

A drizzle of Olive Oil and then the Turkey Au Jus served on the side to dip the Sandwich in:

WOW! You have the ultimate Turkey Sandwich that puts to shame every other Turkey Sandwich we’ve ever tried. It is really that amazing! :heart:

Their Turkey Au Jus is like pure Turkey Broth, clean and full of Turkey essence and flavor!

Marie de Choirga Pumpkin Pie:

Gjusta delivers so much goodness already, we had to see how their new seasonal Pumpkin Pie was (that’s 3 Thanksgiving-themed dishes for DOTM on this visit! ;)).

Their Marie de Choirga Pumpkin Pie was quite tasty! :slight_smile: One of the best Pumpkin Pies we’ve had in recent memory, but note that we don’t really eat Pumpkin Pie that often.

It was creamy, nice Pumpkin flavor, Cloves and a balanced sweetness. I love their Carrot Cake more, but that is legendary. :wink: Still a great Pumpkin Pie.

Gjusta
320 Sunset Ave.
Venice, CA 90291
Tel: (310) 314-0320

6 Likes

I had their dandelion greens salad a few wks ago and found it rather… er, WOODSY. Good if you need fiber, but perhaps not my favorite salad in the world. :wink:

Turkey sandwich sounds wonderful. I can’t imagine how time intensive it must be for them to be making turkeys DAILY. Wow.

1 Like

Wow @Chowseeker1999. Great job.

Your pictures feature everything really well. Thanks for the interior pictures. I’ve been curious about Gjusta for a while. But even more since a recent discussion about how complicated or not it is to maneuver.

I wonder where we could find the Okinawan sweet potatoes.

I know a lot of people hate turkey (head scratcher). But I :heart: it. In particular everything you can make with it after Thanksgiving, like the heavenly, roasted, turkey sandwich. Au jus!

I don’t eat pumpkin pie that often either. But that one looks uniquely delish. I wonder why more people don’t put the seeds on top. That’s a nice touch. Do you remember what the little yellow ribbon is? Who’s Marie de Choirga? I would love to get some pies for T-Day. Was that enough questions for you you? :wink:.

Thank you!

1 Like

Maybe they are bonelesss. But still, it would require prep, like brining, etc. It is probably why people are such Gjusta fanatics. They go the extra mile and it shows.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks! :slight_smile: You must visit Gjusta one of these days and let me know if you need any recommendations.

I think I understand why some people hate “Turkey,” probably because they’re subjected to “Turkey” at places like Subway, or many restaurants around LA with a “Turkey Sandwich” (which turns out to be mass-produced, pre-sliced, dry, chalky Turkey Breast).

Gjusta’s Turkey is really amazing stuff; the complete opposite of most Turkey Sandwiches. :slight_smile:

The little yellow ribbon on top was a think slice of Orange citrus. It gave it a beautiful fragrance when eating the Pumpkin Pie. :slight_smile:

As for Marie de Choirga? It’s the name of a local farmer’s varietal of the Pumpkin being used.

2 Likes

Thanks! We will definitely get to Gjusta. If you look at FTC as a whole, Gjusta could be voted “best of”.

You’re probably right about the turkey aversion. Plus, as far as home cooking goes, if you stick it in the oven and rely only on basting, without brining or some other manipulation it can come out dry. That can lead to a life long prejudice :weary:.

Sweet. You always know this stuff!

1 Like

#Gjusta

These are the closest things to a vegetable I will see until January.

purple sweet potato pie #purpleisafruit

pumpkin pie #pumpkinisafruit

6 Likes

Went last night for either one - they were out of both. :sob:

Those pies are stunning!

2 Likes

I love how they’re using the kabocha squash on top… going to bite their style

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

10 Likes

I made dinner for the homeless earlier tonight

Two loaves white bread cut up and left out overnight

Celery & onion sauteed, added chicken broth, a bit of diced Fuyu persimmon

Mixed with bread, added some sage

Take turkey and cut under legs up to body on both sides

Allowing one to fold the breast away from the legs

Cut along that fold

Allowing a butterfly

That was fully cooked in about 90 minutes at 350, breast meat quite moist

14 Likes

A couple years ago, I picked up Thanksgiving lunch from Kingburg Kitchen. I was surprised to see that they were closed today (but good for them), so I went to Huge Tree Pastry instead. Here’s their green onion pancake, fish and chive dumplings, vegetable bun, and pickled vegetables. My you tiao (Taiwanese donut) was M.I.A. The total damage was $18.25.

Dessert was a slice of boysenberry cream pie from The Apple Pan. A whole pie is $22.00.

6 Likes

So I gotta ask. Do you spend a few minutes perfectly manicuring each shot, taking the pic, and finally digging in?

1 Like

Loreto’s Fried Turkey

The Cajun spiced fried turkey!!!

Better than Grandmas.

Put your turkey order in October. Also a place to get soul tacos, but not now as Loreto is busy frying up the best turkey around

It’s called a hobby.

It looks beautiful @MaladyNelson! I :heart: your pink glass pie/cake plate and the dessert plate too.

1 Like