Dish of the Quarter (DoTM) - SUMMER 2018 - FRUIT

@Nemroz Do you have any suggestions for favorite vermouths you’ve been able to try locally? Love this idea!

Tabula Rasa will have a 2 or 3 nice ones to try. Stanley’s Wet Goods has them as well and bottles to go.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! I love that Stanley’s offers online sales.

It’s a modern wine shop, not surprising… they’re good… pricing is noticeably higher than k&l

1 Like

If you go to k&l it’s worth grabbing a bottle of the Spanish gin wint & lila

1 Like

Cross-reference from Casa Modena - Playa Vista

I love the toothpicks.

1 Like

H @Nemroz, I attempted your drink and it’s darn good.

I added a bit of vodka because I was feeling decadent. I cut up grapefruit, Valencia oranges, and loquats from trees around my neighborhood. (My neighbors are so generous.) You’re right, it’s very refreshing. A great summer afternoon drink.

2 Likes

murray farms cherries
If you put fruit on your dessert it counts as a salad #fruitsalad
20180609_191751

6 Likes

What’s different with those picks???

Picked up strawberries from Oxnard on our way home from a weekender in Santa Barbara. Made Ina Garten’s Vanilla Cream Cheese Pound Cake the next day to have my own version of strawberry shortcake. Didn’t even need to macerate the berries because they were already super sweet.

4 Likes

Frozen raspberries with pomegranate juice and vodka.

2 Likes

Harry’s Berries, Santa Monica Farmer’s Market…

Those Gaviota strawberries are just so, so sweet right now…

6 Likes

Vanilla Haagen daaz. With strawberries from the garden.

4 Likes

Yes, technically a vegetable but just discovered rhubarb.
https://instagram.com/p/BjQ2Md7lmAx/

Made taco Maria’s scallop agachile with rhubarb

And rhubarb and strawberry galette
https://instagram.com/p/BjV4f0bl61x/

2 Likes

I have no pictures, but we were down in Rancho Santa Fe a couple weekends ago and the strawberries from Chino Farms down there were probably the best I’ve had in my life.

That scallop-rhubarb dish looks so good.

1 Like

thanks! its one of our favorite. Recipe from LA mexicano by Bill Esparza…

Went to Underwood Farms yesterday to pick veggies and strawberries. The strawberries are so sweet! Can’t wait for raspberries next!!

1 Like

If this was already discussed, I apologize, but… Is the fruit just unusually good this season? I just stopped by the Brentwood Farmer’s Market today (I only go every few mos b/c I’m, well, lazy), and the fruit was insane. Some no-name (to my knowledge) strawberries were amazingly sweet, and there was one stand that even had oddly soft (in a good way) white peaches.

I normally don’t find the fruit at this FM to be particularly special, so I was kind of amazed at today’s selections…

2 Likes

try with a spanish vermouth … not dry .

this one is commonly found