Dishwashers

I think it would depend on how flimsy the plastic is. We don’t have plastic cups or bowls. Our plastic storage containers are pretty thick, so they hold up okay. But the lids that are “softer” do warp a decent amount.

I also try to run cycles when I’m home. When the cycle is finished, I open the door a little bit to let the steam out, then I try to sweep off standing water (like on the bottom of bowls), and then I close for ~30 mins. That normally dries things quite nicely. And then I leave the door ajar to allow stuff to cool.

1 Like

yes i do that. thanks.

I really like our 3 year old Samsung. I don’t use it for pots and pans, or plastic, but it does a fine job on dishes, silverware and stemmed glassware.

1 Like

I rarely put any of the those in cause there’s not enough room plus I don’t want them to block the water from other pieces. Occasionally a lid.

1 Like

Heated drying seems like a waste of money to me. I use a no-heat mode, pull out the racks when the load is done and still hot, wipe pooled water off the bottom of mugs with a towel, and dry wine glasses by hand. Everything is dry in an hour or so.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s mainly a South Asian thing to only use your dishwasher for storing large dishes.

2 Likes

I believe it also does your "stuff’ no good.

None of our “good stuff” ever goes in the DW. EVER!

2 Likes

I love using good stuff, but equally love dinner parties where we use presentable stuff that all goes in the dishwasher! Husband says why have it if you don’t use if. I answer that using it for 4 is a lot different from using it for 8!

1 Like

Totally! And I have cloth napkins that really must be ironed and the others that don’t.

1 Like

I put good things in the dishwasher so long as they’re dishwasher-safe.

You mean if they’re labeled that way?

Or if it said on the packaging or vendor’s web site or whatever.

Well, for instance, my late MIL left her vintage Waterford crystal (not our style so eventually donated). I’m sure it was technically ‘safe’ but due to possible moving around and cracking I washed it. I have other similar things.

I’d also be worried about etching.

None of we care about or anything that’s expensive goes in the dishwasher.

“Etching.” That’s the term I was trying to think of.

That’s one of the reasons I buy Tritan wine glasses.

Present tense? I’m guessing it’s been close to 20 years since we’ve bought any wine glasses. And some were Mother’s so that’ll be close to 100 years :slight_smile:

I break one or two a year. Tritan glasses usually bounce on wood, but they almost always break on tile, which unfortunately is what we have in the kitchen.

When I used conventional glass they broke all the time, a dozen probably didn’t last two years.

We just bought a house and are getting marmoleum for the kitchen and main bathroom. Supposed to be “softer” than many surfaces.