Displaced for a few days in Arcadia

Hello. I’ll be staying in Arcadia (near the 210) for a few days next wk (Sun-Wed) because of some work being done to the building in which I live. I haven’t been keeping up w/ the food scene there (sorry) and could use some recs for quick, inexpensive dinners ($20 pp; eat-in or to-go). Chinese, of course, is great, and any other recs are also appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

My first stop would be Luscious Dumplings. The dumplings are made fresh daily and it’s an incredible value if you order a combo. I like the “mushroom meat sauce” noodle with the pan fried chive pocket. Last time I was there it was around $15 and felt like highway robbery. The homemade chili oil is also excellent, and I almost always buy a jar to take home.

I also love Zelo, a deep dish pizza spot that makes their crust with cornmeal. The corn pizza is the move, topped with corn and caramelized onions. 2-3 slices ($4-5 each) per person is plenty.

The shen jian bao at Kang Kang Food Court is unbelievably juicy and explosive. It also happens to be dirt cheap, maybe $10 for an order that could feed me for two meals.

3 Likes

You can pop over to Temple City and hit up Seafood Palace for their Typhoon Shelter crab. Not sure if its still there but the Mandarin Deli on Las Tunas had great beef noodle soup with hand cut noodles. Second Luscious Dumplings.
I don’t know if you are a hiker, but you will be right down the road from one of the most beautiful trails in the San Gabriels, https://socalhiker.net/chantry-flats-sturtevant-camp-mt-zion/. With the recent rain Sturtevant Falls will be spectacular. If you go on the weekend the pack station at Chantry Flats occasionally serves tri-tip sandwiches. They aren’t dependable however.

3 Likes

Can get good Cantonese/Hong Kong style comfort food at May Mei on Duarte Rd. Their chow mein, chow fun, and wonton noodle soups are all good. Same with this newer place called New Fusion, which is only a block away. In the same shopping center as New Fusion is Tong Tak for dim sum. Order about 3 plates, and you’re good. Tong Tak also offers Lunch Specials around $8-$10 per item. Another inexpensive place for dim sum would be Full House Seafood Restaurant.

1 Like

cha gio @ golden deli temple city

8 Likes

Seconding Seafood Palace, the crab is excellent, and they make my favorite Mei Cai Kou Rou (pork with preserved vegetable) I’ve found so far. I also enjoy May Mei and go there often.

China Red for dim sum but I haven’t been in a year. Dai Ho in Temple City for beef noodle soup, though they’ve always had an attitude.

New Fusion is alright, there’s never a wait. Disagree with Full House.

Sinbala and Luscious are always crowded on the weekends, they were good when I went years ago.

Bay Garden Cafe in Temple City is decent. Arcadia Garden Cafe is open late and acceptable.

2 Likes

Beautiful shot!

2 Likes

Yeah, but Seafood Palace’s crab won’t fall in the category of $20pp for dinner, which is what is being asked.

Dai Ho’s hours are usually 10 to 3pm, so won’t be able to do dinner there.

1 Like

Thanks, I misread and thought it was lunch and dinner. I don’t think China Red serves dim sum at dinner, but they could order cantonese dinner. We’ve paid $35 for the crab sometime this year or maybe last year, but we’ve also paid about $60. Lunch specials are a lot cheaper at Seafood Palace, so my thinking was if the crab’s the right price and a couple of lunch specials it could be under $20/pp.

2 Likes

Burritos La Palma is not terribly far from Arcadia. Also hit up Why Thirsty for excellent popcorn chicken. Sun Nong Dan in San Gabriel is not far and 24/7.

3 Likes

If you don’t consider Burritos La Palma too far, then there is also Corner Beef Noodle for Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup.

Ooh, such good recs all! Much appreciated.

I’m a bit of an idiot and just realized that, w/ work schedule, I might only have time for a max of 2 dinners out there! :man_facepalming: Argh. Only frustrated b/c there’s so much food to try… :slight_smile: Although perhaps I could squeeze in Si Hai for breakfast…

1 Like

China Red
Chong Qing
Summer Rolls

1 Like

Ruby’s BBQ is right around the corner from Burritos La Palma.

2 Likes

Do they sell out on weekdays? I went last Saturday at 11:00AM, couple in front of us wanted to buy all of it, which amounted to about three large catering trays worth. We got lucky and only had to wait 15 minutes for another one to come out.

I never had trouble getting duck or siu yuk there around lunch time.

1 Like

We hit China Red for Thanksgiving dim sum (noonish). Their prices have gone up a tiny bit, I think, but the quality is still great and the portions generous.

Happy note, as the folks we were eating with are very health conscious, we added an order of chinese broccoli on, to balance all the carbs. Normally I get ] broccoli at dim sum just for guilt reasons but this broccoli? Fantastic! I would happily get it again - $10 for a serving (with oyster sauce) but more than enough for four people, with some left over. Delicate, not tough at all, and perfectly cooked. Yummy.

1 Like

Indeed! Think about breakfast and lunch to go. That will let you try more places without your timing being affectedly hugely…

1 Like

we enjoy venturing south a bit to rosemead and las tunas where there’s a plaza with bistro na, summer rolls, kang ho dong, meet fresh…

1 Like

I know, but it is worth it. @paranoidgarliclover would love it! I usually scoop up the fried garlic (little hint - major garlic rush!) and spoon it over the rice. I have tried recreating it and failed miserably. I am working there the next few days and may make it, although our hours may be too late.

1 Like